Effect of Golf Shoes on Golf Swing

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
Have you guys (and girls) ever noticed if your game or swing is affected by the kind of golf shoes you wear?

I seem to notice that when I use the pointier ones, when there's a gap between my toes and the toe of the shoe, these tend to worsen my fade into a slice, and it's difficult to hit a straight shot, especially with the drives, I seem to need to turn more than necessary to hit square.

Last edited:
You may be overthinking things a bit. Find a pair of shoes that are more comfortable and fit you better.

could be. may be also that the right foot should roll on its ball, not on its toes.

I prefer shoes that have soft spikes to the flat spike or skate shoe versions I've seen around. But if you mean one soft spike vs another, over thinking.

The only issue I have had with shoes is that I might stand slightly taller in spiked shoes vs. spikeless, but it has never made me hit different shots really.

No issues with shoes and swing

I have probably 12 pair of golf shoes all ranging from nike to puma, some spiked some spikeless and have never seen a difference in my game when it comes to shoes. I'm still baffled at how Tiger doesn't like his new shoes for this year. I love them but he says they don't work for his new changes or something? Baffling to me.

Its a little thing, but for me, I notice I have less slippage in my swing when wearing a traditional spiked shoe.

I had luck with spikeless for a while, but over the past year have started to notice the difference much more since switching back to spiked.

Its a little thing, but for me, I notice I have less slippage in my swing when wearing a traditional spiked shoe.

I had luck with spikeless for a while, but over the past year have started to notice the difference much more since switching back to spiked.

I agree with you Brad - I really do like my Gripmores and they are very "cloudlike" when walking - but I usually always go back to my TW14s....

I agree with you Brad - I really do like my Gripmores and they are very "cloudlike" when walking - but I usually always go back to my TW14s....

I switched from Kikkors (that I really liked), to Faas Lite (which gave me all sorts of problems), back to BioFusions (which have been like a revelation for me).

I didn't realize last year, but every time I would swing i would be shifting my feet, and couldn't get through to a proper follow through on my swing. Switch to a spiked shoe again and I am able to get to a full finish (well for me anyways), and end up on a full pivot on my back foot again.

I wish I could still wear metal spikes....lol.....I like shoes that have 4 spikes on the heels.....they seem to keep me from slipping

well guys, it's not the difference between spikeless and spiked. more about the shape of the toe, between the pointy ones and the ones that are round or flat, or the height above the ground - some hug the ground, some are a little taller. it's like footwork in a tap dance - they all work, but some shoes will move a millisecond faster or slower than the rest. and we need footwork in the golf swing.

well guys, it's not the difference between spikeless and spiked. more about the shape of the toe, between the pointy ones and the ones that are round or flat, or the height above the ground - some hug the ground, some are a little taller. it's like footwork in a tap dance - they all work, but some shoes will move a millisecond faster or slower than the rest. and we need footwork in the golf swing.

I mean I practice in atheltic shoes and in golf shoes and sometimes even in sandles. Never have a different pair of shoes made me more prone to slice or hook the ball. I agree there is certain level of footwork in the golf swing, but for the most part they are not moving all that much, unless you swing like BUbba or Patrick Reed.

I will have to find the video but there is a system called BodiTrack that alot of teaching pros have started using. I believe it was a video featuring Scot Hamilton from Cartersville CC (teaches Bowditch, Kirk, English, Henley and a few others) where they actually talk about this. His main point was find the shoes that help keep weight centered and traveling in a straight line to the target. Many of his pros actually changed their shoes after feeling comfortable with his methods.

I have a bunch of different types of golf shoes, and I prefer ones that offer a little more rigidity in the heel than the sneaker type. But that being said, I haven't noticed any difference in golf shot results moving from one pair to another.

I need shoes with some sort of lift in the heel - the flat soled shoes throw off my balance.

I have not noticed this. I have shoes that are more pointed in the toe and some that have a more rounded toe box.
But....that is not to say that this doesn't affect you.

Despite golf shoe marketing, I've played golf in bare feet before and hit the ball just fine. Read into that what you will.

I need shoes with some sort of lift in the heel - the flat soled shoes throw off my balance.

This is one thing I've noticed in the Truelink or whatever their called. They are very flat and I thought I wouldn't like them but I shot really well the one time I worn them.

I don't think shoes really impact my game. But I've started to prefer my vibram fivefingers or my Merrill minimalist shoes over my adidas spikes. I feel that the barefoot shoes give me better balance feedback than just about anything else.

I tried on some FJ DNA and thought they were too pointy on my foot. Tried on the FJ Contour as well which wasn't as pointy. Both FJ slipped on my feet while wearing them, even when just walking. Ended up going with the Adidas Powerband Tour which fit nice and snug and felt good as I transitioned through my follow through. They were cheaper, too.

I don't think shoes really impact my game. But I've started to prefer my vibram fivefingers or my Merrill minimalist shoes over my adidas spikes. I feel that the barefoot shoes give me better balance feedback than just about anything else.
I was wearing five fingers 4 seasons ago. Really like the way they felt and the balance I got, but couldn't put up with lack of waterproof and some slipping during the swing.

Since then I do like a more minimal shoe that is closer to the ground, but need spikes. I'm wearing the spiked FootJoy M:project and like those a lot but am also interested in the TruLinks Game Changer. Haven't been in the market for new shoes this year so haven't tried them out but will definitely be in mind for my next pair.

I mean the ball of your right foot. Into impact as I turn my weight should be on the inner side of my right foot. It will be eventually on my toes as I finish. I guess sometimes when I'm not focused I just do the footwork without a good body turn, with poor results.

Back