How does offset affect things?

YetiLooper

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm probably beating a dead horse that's been covered a lot already, sorry in advance. When I was younger I was playing GI irons (Lynx Paralax clones) with a decent amount of offset. I always kind of battled a slice at the time. Then I started working on my game the slice disappeared and I had a consultant draw that was a little too strong for my liking. I knew that offset was there to help the hands be in front of the ball and it was time for new irons anyway. I researched and got clubs with minimal offset. Sure enough that stringing draw straightened out to be a very mild draw to straight. Fast forward another new set of irons, Cobra Bio Cell+, with a touch more offset again the draw got a little stronger. This time around I just moved the ball a fraction forward in my stance.

I have always struggled with hybrids so I finally decided to ditch that 6 year experiment and ordered a 3 iron, but I got the regular Bio Cell opting for a touch more forgiveness than the +. Again a little more draw but comfortable and consistent that I can allow for the flight reliably.

I have heard people say that offset doesn't generate draw bias and has more to do with getting the ball in the air. From my personal experience it seems to do both. What have y'all experienced? I am sure someone in here has more inside details as to the purpose.

For the most part offset will only make the ball launch higher by moving the center of gravity further back, that is it's intended purpose. With my swing I never hook offset clubs just because they are offset, its usually some heal weighting or closed face that gets it moving left.

I can't hit hybrids well either so I play a driving iron. Callaway's Apex UT is a god send. I use the 21* and can knock it down 210 and rip it 240, really easy to hit!

I'm honestly envious of those that swing a hybrid so effectively. I love the idea of them but for me they spray all over!

I wonder if for me the offset has to do with where I line up to the ball, so because of the offset maybe I unintentionally play it farther back in my stance and am hitting it more from the inside.

If offset were the problem, one could order a hybrid that doesnt have any or that is adjustable. There are quite a few of them out there.

Some of it has to do with the width of the sole. If the iron has a wider sole, there needs to be a little bit of offset to accommodate.

For hybrids, I agree with JB. Plenty of options that would not have a lot of offset.

I'll also echo the comment about the Apex UT. It's incredibly easy to hit, and I'm more consistent with it than a hybrid.

Back