What are some of the best training aids other than lessons for high-handicappers?

brsmith33

Reaction score
Handicap
What are some of the best training aids to buy other than lessons for high-handicappers?

IMO, the vision track hands down. When used properly it can practically eliminate the curvature on the ball imparted by the swing path, the rest is left up to getting the club square

Great question! Thanks for the tip Thainer - I checked it out myself and had to have one after watching the video on the Medicus website. This is just what I need to use on the practice range to develop a more consistent swing. I tend to pull my shots and break my wrists at times so maybe this will help me break those habits. Just ordered one on Ebay for $40 best offer with free shipping. I'm sure Ol' Gray will use it too.

I still believe that the simplest things are the best.

I swear by two "training aids" that have been used for years.
  1. A glove or small towel under one or both armpits (depending on what you're working on)
  2. A bungee cord wrapped around the upper arms and upper body to keep the arms "tucked in".

A washcloth or handkerchief works fine for the armpit thing and a bungee cord (cloth-style, not rubber) is about three bucks and everything fits in your pocket.

They both work very well.

-JP

I started a thread based on my initial impresions of the Vision Track. I think it is a great tool, particularely helpful if you have squared away a number of swing elements and are really focusing on things that relate to swing plane. In point of fact it has been my experience that you can be down to one or two key elements of the swing and if they are critical enough, you will likely still be swinging very poorly. In my view swing plane is one of these.

In addition I do think the Vision Track does make an effort to tackle some other swing issues. For example it does help you execute the baseball diamond drill in my opinion.

Birdie balls for at home practice. Feet together drill always helps me.

Birdie balls... Bubba Watson said his self taught swing came from hitting wiffle balls around a tree in his back yard and then trying to hit the back to the same spot. Basically trying to learn how to hit a cut and a draw. There is no one right way to swing the golf club.

Am going to order one but notice that there are 2 models(one apparently is new and improved). Can anyone tell me what the difference is ?

Many thanks, Dave
I started a thread based on my initial impresions of the Vision Track. I think it is a great tool, particularely helpful if you have squared away a number of swing elements and are really focusing on things that relate to swing plane. In point of fact it has been my experience that you can be down to one or two key elements of the swing and if they are critical enough, you will likely still be swinging very poorly. In my view swing plane is one of these.

In addition I do think the Vision Track does make an effort to tackle some other swing issues. For example it does help you execute the baseball diamond drill in my opinion.

I'm going to say an impact bag. I use one at the start of every practice session.

I've become a big fan of Shawn Clement's videos on YouTube.

He raves about an ordinary grass whip from a hardware store. He has a cool video about this where he shows why he likes it and how it fits into some of his drills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkALtunExso

I am definitely going to get one of these. If nothing else, it's a great way to work on those swing muscles... and clear the junk from the wooded area behind the house!

I recently bought an Orange Whip swing trainer. I'm very impressed by it as it really does help with my swing tempo and swing plane. Due to the weight of it, it also helps strengthen golf muscles, an added bonus!

the old inside approach, you can also use other things to similate the feeling you get for coming from the inside and stop coming over the top.

1) Athletic Swing strap (connection)

2) Orange Whip (tempo and timing)

3) The Anchor (maintains flex in right knee)

4) The Swing Glove (Flat left Wrist)

5) Heavy Club (transition, power, loosening up)

6) Impact Bag

7) Alignment Sticks

Back