Buying used at Golfsmith and/or PGA Tour Superstore

TWO2SEVEN

Reaction score
Handicap
I have heard that these stores have a little bit of room to haggle on used clubs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

I cant speak to the PGA Superstore. But my efforts at Golfsmith didnt get me anywhere near the prices of places like Callaway Pre-owned. Granted, you might not be interested in Callaway. Maybe its just my local GS, but there arent really any good deals on used clubs.

We have two stores in my area. One has a really good selection, the other not so much. I am looking at a set of Cobra irons. They are already lower than any other price I have found, just looking to get the best price possible. I am not really a haggling person, it makes me uncomfortable haha. :act-up:

It never hurts to ask, I have applied this to most of my buying situations lately and the worse they can say is no.

Three years working at Golfsmith and trade-ins slashed used clubs is all across the board price wise. But we almost always went lowered when asked by a customer.

I bought a club from the PGA Store in Southlake and asked for a discount because what they had marked on the tag was a little to high. They knocked off $30 more off the tag by me just asking.

I've had good luck at my Golfsmith store asking for discounts with used clubs. They've come down 10 to 15% from their sticker prices. Almost as good as ebay.

Thanks for the insight everyone. It just occurred to me that when I bought my driver at GS they took $10 off when I mentioned seeing it online for that price.

I have received reduce rates on used clubs at Golfsmith and PGA Tour SS. I guess it depends on the individual Manager's at each store. I picked up a used set of TM RAC irons for a buddy at GS for $50.00 they were asking $125 for the set, all I did was ask if they would come down, he said he would check, walked away and came back with $50 needless to say I bought them for my buddy that was looking to get into golf.

I have received reduce rates on used clubs at Golfsmith and PGA Tour SS. I guess it depends on the individual Manager's at each store. I picked up a used set of TM RAC irons for a buddy at GS for $50.00 they were asking $125 for the set, all I did was ask if they would come down, he said he would check, walked away and came back with $50 needless to say I bought them for my buddy that was looking to get into golf.

That's a pretty good price drop!

That's a pretty good price drop!

They are 10 year old clubs. But good clubs none the less and a great price to get started in the game.

A salesman at my local Golfsmith told me one day to never pay for the sticker said for used clubs. He said at their store they usually doubled the price they paid when they bought them from the customer. I can tell you from experience that I bought my Mizuno JPX EZ Forged used from Golfsmith. When I saw them on the rack the 4i was missing (which had the price tag on it). I asked the manager how much for the set. He looked it up in the computer and said that Golfsmith paid $350 for them. He said the lowest they would go was $400. But since the 4i was missing he would sell them to me for $350. A few hours after I bought them I could a call from the store because they found the 4i and said I could buy it for $50. I drove back up their and bought it. I then saw the price tag that they were originally selling them for which was $725. Mind you these club had only been on the market for about 6 months and I got them in total for $400 dollars.

They have been great clubs though I test hit the MP-25's today and fell in love. Looks like I will be saving my money to buy a set of those. :banana:

From my PGASS experience, I came in to demo the Mini 1.5. While waiting and looking around I found a excellent /like new Callaway PM grind 58 wedge. In the end I wanted both but the wedge was not on sale like other used clubs. Asked the salesman who helped me I'll take both if they can do a little bit on the wedge. They did 25% off! Was very polite and grateful about it as this is another reason why I come back to this store. These guys have GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE and that includes other store locations where I have been (Naples FL, Palm springs CA).

Once I bought a brand new driver at Golfsmith that had a super small scratch on the crown. I mean you could barely see it close up, definitely couldn't see it at address, I just mentioned it to the sales guy and they took $50 off. When I got it home I used a little Turtle Wax polishing compound and the scratch came right out. Easy $50 I saved. I think they can mark down anything if they want.

I've asked at Golfsmith and have received 10% off from used club purchases in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to give it a shot later today. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone!

Never hurts to ask and when looking at the price on the club, also check the date. That's the date of the last mark down they have taken to move them at GS or when they brought them in (varies between locations I've seen). The older that date the better chance of greater deal imo. Both locations have been more than fair when I've asked for a price break.

Good luck

The clubs I chose were marked $191.99.

I asked for a lower price, the salesman told me to make him an offer.

I ended up saying $100 (knowing that was very low). We settled on $149.99 plus free labor on re gripping (standard on used club purchases).

Overall, I am happy to get a set that originally retailed for $700ish for $214.00 out the door with new grips.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

The clubs I chose were marked $191.99.

I asked for a lower price, the salesman told me to make him an offer.

I ended up saying $100 (knowing that was very low). We settled on $149.99 plus free labor on re gripping (standard on used club purchases).

Overall, I am happy to get a set that originally retailed for $700ish for $214.00 out the door with new grips.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I am glad it worked out for you. My grandmother always use to tell me that it cannot hurt to offer. Her reasoning was you can pay them to them the clubs away or after enough time they will have to pay someone else to take them away.

I am glad it worked out for you. My grandmother always use to tell me that it cannot hurt to offer. Her reasoning was you can pay them to them the clubs away or after enough time they will have to pay someone else to take them away.

That is a great point!

I got my mp-32's at PGA Super Store for 50 bucks. They were marked at 100 and missing the 4 iron....Had a 3,5-pw they took off the 50 when I asked

Back