My journey to losing weight

robmypro

Reaction score
I was in Australia for a month in March. Looking at photos of myself, I was like WTH? I decided to do something about it. When I got back home I was 191 pounds, so I set a goal to get down to 160, which would put my BMI in normal range (just barely). I purposely decided to focus on my weight loss through eating better, and not add any exercises into the mix (except golf). I wanted to see how much progress I could make with food changes alone.

Before leaving Australia (awesome country, BTW) I spent time thinking about how I was going to attack this weight issue. I didn't want to start a diet. No Jenny Craig for me. Instead, I wanted to "redefine" my relationship with food. How I thought about it, and what part it played in my life. My motto became eat to live, don't live to eat. As did a few things right off the bat. No soda. Almost no beer. And no sweets. That means no ice cream, candies, etc. Honestly this wasn't as hard I as thought it would be. The beer thing sucked, but I occasionally have one now and then, so I didn't completely give it up. Next, I thought about what I did want to eat.

For breakfast, nothing but coffee. I have read conflicting stories about breakfast being the most important meal of the day, but I am not really hungry in the morning, so I just skip it. Around 10:30 or 11 I have a croissant. It either has salmon or lunch meat, and cheese. In the afternoon I either have a banana (or other fruit). For dinner, it is usually fish on the BBQ. I'd say 3 to 4 times per week. We add a veggie to it and that's it. In the evening, it's a fruit and possibly a yogurt. Our dog Alvin loves blueberry, so that's what I get. I let him lick the container. When I feel like munching on something, I have a small handful of nuts. I like cashews and almonds.

Another part of the plan was to officially weigh myself every week. Sunday morning is weigh in day, but every morning I check my weight. I chose this day because it helps me think about the weekend meals a bit more. I have to weigh in on Sunday, so don't go too crazy on Friday, and cut back as needed on Saturday. It keeps things under control. It also makes Sunday a bit of a free day food wise, because I have the rest of the week to get things back in control.

When we go out to eat I just try to be reasonable. Many times the wife and I will split something, just because the portions are so big. But this doesn't stop me from having a nice steak, sushi, chicken, whatever. I pretty much eat whatever I want to. I just eliminated the major offenders. Junk food is out, and so if fast food most of the time. I will still do the occasional Chipotle, but it is a treat when it happens.

Here are the results. Today I weight 156 pounds. If you are doing the math, that's 35 pounds. I feel so much better physically, and I am hitting the golf ball farther, and more accurately. I do not think it is a coincidence that my game has improved as the pounds came off. I have zero food cravings. I don't have food thoughts night and day. I believe that by eliminating a lot of bad food, it turned off something inside me that caused me to crave more of it. The entire process has been really eye opening. I can eat whatever I want, without guilt, but I just have to keep an eye on it. I have no idea how much weight I will actually lose, because the pounds just keep coming off. Sunday I weighed 158, and I am already down another 2 pounds. It is really shocking.

What are the takeaways from this?

1. Portion control

If you are overweight, you are probably eating too much. I know, go figure. If I want to have a burger, the wife and I will split one. The croissant I have in the morning has one slice of cheese. Not two. Dinner is composed on one filet, and it is not big. If I have a salad, it's not a massive one. Fits in a salad bowl. But I have whatever dressing I want.

2. You don't need to exercise to lose weight

There was a very specific reason I chose not to start working out until I lost the weight. My theory was that it was all about the amount of food I was eating. Exercise might have sped the process up, but then I would be left wondering, was it the exercise, or the food changes? Now I know. It was all about the food.

3. Exercise to be healthy, not to lose weight

This month I have started exercising, but it is to be healthier and to be more fit, and not for weight loss. And because I know what is possible by getting my food under control, I can focus on exercise knowing what impacts what. You can also be normal weight, and unhealthy, so dealing with these things separately makes sense to me.

4. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels

I set out to change my relationship with food, and I can tell you that nothing tastes so good that I want to be overweight to eat it. My wife, who has never been overweight a day in her life, dropped 10 pounds without even trying. Here MBI is 21 and she looks awesome.

5. Counting calories isn't necessary

I am not a calorie counter. It just seems like a lot of work. I just dropped the portions down. So if you think I somehow micro-managed what I ate, that's wrong. I can pretty much eat whatever I want, and I don't count anything.

6. Some things are impossible to eat or drink

I like beer. I really do. I just don't like it enough to be unhealthy for it. And over the past 6 months, every time I had a few beers it took a week to work the pounds off. The impact was eye-opening. I was in Chicago for a few days, and hit a few restaurants, and had some drinks. Took 2 weeks to get back under control. There are just some things that are not going to be compatible with staying healthy. I know what those are, and have adjusted accordingly. For example, if I want to have a drink, I will have a screwdriver as opposed to a run and coke, or a beer.

7. You spend less on food

A strange thing happens when you start eating better. Your grocery bill goes down. And the quality of foods you eat goes up. Eating healthy and saving money at the same time just feels right.

If I can do this, anyone can. I don't have any food cravings, and I am not dreaming about food. It's a new chapter in my life, and I am disappointed that it took me this long to get things under control. People tell me I look great, and what an amazing job I've done. One friend said I was a "legend" to lose it like this. You have such discipline! I tell them that this is nothing to brag about.

What the hell have I been thinking for the last 20 years?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your results!

Nice! Congrats on achieving your goal

Congrats dude. The wife cut all msg and sugar and only eats things that grow and has lost close to sixty pounds in 3 months. My wallet likes the food bill much more.

Again congrats.

Thanks guys! That sounds awesome Scrap!

Great post! Congratulations on the weight loss, but more importantly the lifestyle change!

Congrats on reaching your goal. Interesting that your food budget went down though. Usually buying fresh meats and veggies will be more expensive then their processed brethren. Which is why I think a large part of America eats so poorly to be honest. Another discussion for a different thread I know. That really is a huge wight loss goal achieved though, you should be proud of yourself.

That's all I have ever done. Leave the table earlier! It's worked so far.

Congrats! I weigh about more than I have than at any point in my life (~192-194), so I will take this advice, for sure. Would ultimately like to get down to about 175, or so. I just love food so dang much!

Great post! Congratulations on the weight loss, but more importantly the lifestyle change!

Thanks! That is the key. Lifestyle change.

Congrats on reaching your goal. Interesting that your food budget went down though. Usually buying fresh meats and veggies will be more expensive then their processed brethren. Which is why I think a large part of America eats so poorly to be honest. Another discussion for a different thread I know. That really is a huge wight loss goal achieved though, you should be proud of yourself.

Thanks! I think a big part of the food budget going down is quantity reduction. We also do not buy much red meat, or even chicken. It's mostly fish, veggies and fruit. Eliminating junk food, ice cream, etc. must have been a big savings too. But honestly, I am not proud of myself for the way I treated myself for the past 20 years. I am proud of how I am doing it now.

Congrats! I weigh about more than I have than at any point in my life (~192-194), so I will take this advice, for sure. Would ultimately like to get down to about 175, or so. I just love food so dang much!

You can do it! Eat to live. Don't live to eat. Also, watch a video of someone getting a triple bypass. That will help!

That's all I have ever done. Leave the table earlier! It's worked so far.

Wise words buddy. Eat until you are not hungry, as opposed to eating until you are full.

Although congratulations are in order for your weight loss, you aren't doing it in a very "healthy" way.

You are losing weight quickly because your body is going into starvation mode and your body is eating proteins instead of carbs.

You certainly don't need to exercise to lose weight, but if you are looking to do it in a healthy way and keep it off, exercising is the only way. Why? Because muscle is much more metabolically active, which means that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn sitting around doing nothing.

Your comment that "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" is a very personal thing. I was never and never will be "thin". Even when I was competing in Martial Arts, Downhill Skiing and was bodybuilding. That doesn't mean I can't be at a healthy weight and be healthy. Healthy does not equate to thin. Never has, never will.

I did a full year of nutrition in college and was a successful personal trainer before continuing on with my education, so I'm not just talking out of my a**. Be VERY carefully with fad diets and things you read on the internet about weight loss. Much of it is nothing more than shear starvation and is unsustainable.

Once again, I applaud you for losing the weight, but I highly recommend you talk to a nutritionist and a personal trainer before you find yourself on a major rebound.

Wise words buddy. Eat until you are not hungry, as opposed to eating until you are full.

[h=2]Louis CK "The meal is not over when I'm full. The meal is over when I hate myself."[/h]

Although congratulations are in order for your weight loss, you aren't doing it in a very "healthy" way. You are losing weight quickly because your body is going into starvation mode and your body is eating proteins instead of carbs.

You certainly don't need to exercise to lose weight, but if you are looking to do it in a healthy way and keep it off, exercising is the only way. Why? Because muscle is much more metabolically active, which means that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn sitting around doing nothing.

Your comment that "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" is a very personal thing. I was never and never will be "thin". Even when I was competing in Martial Arts, Downhill Skiing and was bodybuilding. That doesn't mean I can't be at a healthy weight and be healthy. Healthy does not equate to thin. Never has, never will.

I did a full year of nutrition in college and was a successful personal trainer before continuing on with my education, so I'm not just talking out of my a**. Be VERY carefully with fad diets and things you read on the internet about weight loss. Much of it is nothing more than shear starvation and is unsustainable.

Once again, I applaud you for losing the weight, but I highly recommend you talk to a nutritionist and a personal trainer before you find yourself on a major rebound.

I appreciate your comments, and thanks for the congrats. But I disagree with almost everything you've said. First, getting my food intake under control was needed, regardless. I lost 35 pounds over 6 months. That's not a crash diet. The pounds are just coming off in a very effortless way. The amount of weight I have lost, in the time I have lost it, is actually very consistent with healthy guidelines. There is absolutely no starvation going on. I am not kidding when I say I have no food cravings. I never feel hungry.

Exercising has nothing to do with losing weight. I exercise daily because I want to improve my health. It's about cardio, and being more fit. The reason I focused on weight loss first was to see if my weight gain was the result of not being active enough, or food related. I know that answer conclusively now. But I also do not confuse being thin (or just not overweight!) with being healthy. They are separate things. I totally believe that you can be normal weight, and still unhealthy. That's why I pay attention to what I put in my body, and why I have started exercising.

Regarding my comment about "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" was really meant to be "nothing tastes as good as being fat makes you feel about yourself". And I seriously doubt a rebound is in my future, because I did not go on a diet in the first place. Diets have a beginning and an end. I wanted something far more permanent. It was an easy adjustment. I am really surprised how easy it was.

Anyways, I am sure your comments have some validity, but in my case they really don't. Nobody is starving themselves over here. As a matter of fact, when I was typing this post up this morning, it was around the time I have that croissant. The wife asked, are you going to go have one today? I was like, oh yeah, one minute. Seriously, food is NOT a problem for me anymore. And that is not to say there won't be challenges, but I think I have it under control. This is my 7th month, and it is not an issue doing this. No headaches, cravings, etc. That's why I shared. I'm surprised!

Incredible lifestyle change sir! So many folks have tried and failed at what you have done.... Success is great to see. Congrats!!

Incredible lifestyle change sir! So many folks have tried and failed at what you have done.... Success is great to see. Congrats!!

Thanks man! I appreciate that. I'm THAT guy who quit smoking cold turkey (30 years ago) and never did it again. Just made up my mind that enough was enough. You don't need more than that.

I appreciate your comments, and thanks for the congrats. But I disagree with almost everything you've said. First, getting my food intake under control was needed, regardless. I lost 35 pounds over 6 months. That's not a crash diet. The pounds are just coming off in a very effortless way. The amount of weight I have lost, in the time I have lost it, is actually very consistent with healthy guidelines. There is absolutely no starvation going on. I am not kidding when I say I have no food cravings. I never feel hungry.

I didn't say YOU were starving, but your body is going to protect itself and that will involve breaking down protein which is not good for you. That is essentially what "starving" is to your body.

Exercising has nothing to do with losing weight.

Without seeming disrespectful, you don't know what you're saying.

Regarding my comment about "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" was really meant to be "nothing tastes as good as being fat makes you feel about yourself". And I seriously doubt a rebound is in my future, because I did not go on a diet in the first place. Diets have a beginning and an end. I wanted something far more permanent. It was an easy adjustment. I am really surprised how easy it was.

You are on a diet, whether you want to admit it or not.

Anyways, I am sure your comments have some validity, but in my case they really don't. Nobody is starving themselves over here. As a matter of fact, when I was typing this post up this morning, it was around the time I have that croissant. The wife asked, are you going to go have one today? I was like, oh yeah, one minute. Seriously, food is NOT a problem for me anymore. And that is not to say there won't be challenges, but I think I have it under control. This is my 7th month, and it is not an issue doing this. No headaches, cravings, etc. That's why I shared. I'm surprised!

I'm sorry I brought anything up. The science is on my side based on going to College for this exact topic and working in the industry for years, though. Best of luck to you.

Congrats on your weight loss Rob. It's truly amazing. I'm just about at your starting weight at 194. Been in the gym at watching my food intake for the last 3 weeks or so and have lost 5 pounds or so. It's definitely not easy but very rewarding. Thanks for sharing your story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tips for losing weight or keep weight under control : 1. No snacking at night no matter what .... I brush my teeth if I have desire to eat. I drink water and go to sleep. 2. Eat moderately , eat small portions. I share my meals with my wife or kids. If I want to eat full meals alone, I skip desserts and appetizer. I can eat up to four times a day as long as they are small portions, or two times a day with normal full meals..... remember I have no desserts and appetizer. 3. The quickest way to lose some weight is go to gym, or play bike, or play golf walking 18 holes. 4. Avoid drinking soda, eating sweets and junk foods too frequently. 5. Buy weight machine and check weight every morning. This way , I have motivation or discipline not to over eating for the day. I lost my weight from 91kg to 75kg two years ago ....... well now it goes up again to 79kg. I have gain some weight again because I do snacking at night and I am too lazy for working out. Well, lets see how fast I can lose 4 kg within short time.

Congratulations!!! I'm lucky at 5'10" to have never weighed more than 190lbs or so and I'm at 160/165 now at age (soon to be 54).

Congrats on your weight loss Rob. It's truly amazing. I'm just about at your starting weight at 194. Been in the gym at watching my food intake for the last 3 weeks or so and have lost 5 pounds or so. It's definitely not easy but very rewarding. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thanks! That is a great start. Just stay disciplined and keep your eye on the final goal. You will be there faster than you think!

Congratulations!!! I'm lucky at 5'10" to have never weighed more than 190lbs or so and I'm at 160/165 now at age (soon to be 54).

That is awesome dude. Good for you!

I'm sorry I brought anything up. The science is on my side based on going to College for this exact topic and working in the industry for years, though. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your input! It is okay that we can agree to disagree. I just have a very different view based on my own personal experience. Doesn't mean it would work for everyone!

My tips for losing weight or keep weight under control : 1. No snacking at night no matter what .... I brush my teeth if I have desire to eat. I drink water and go to sleep. 2. Eat moderately , eat small portions. I share my meals with my wife or kids. If I want to eat full meals alone, I skip desserts and appetizer. I can eat up to four times a day as long as they are small portions, or two times a day with normal full meals..... remember I have no desserts and appetizer. 3. The quickest way to lose some weight is go to gym, or play bike, or play golf walking 18 holes. 4. Avoid drinking soda, eating sweets and junk foods too frequently. 5. Buy weight machine and check weight every morning. This way , I have motivation or discipline not to over eating for the day. I lost my weight from 91kg to 75kg two years ago ....... well now it goes up again to 79kg. I have gain some weight again because I do snacking at night and I am too lazy for working out. Well, lets see how fast I can lose 4 kg within short time.

That is awesome! You can definitely knock out the last few kg's. I am not very good about exercising, but i am focusing on it now. I was afraid i would dive into exercising, lose some weight, then stop and put it right back on. That is why i didn't buy weights, or get a membership. I needed to address my food issue first. Now that i have that fixed, cardio is the focus. I don't want to go too quickly, so let's do the bike for 15 minutes a day for a few months, and then start with some weights. Easing into the whole fitness thing. Also going to get my cholesterol checked, and hopefully my lifestyle changes had an impact.

I also want to add that i apologize if i took your comments in the wrong way. It is so hard to determine tone, so sorry if my comments were disrespectful in any way! I really mean that.

Btw, i talked to my wife about seeing a nutritionist, and that is great advice. I am about as anti-doctor as they come, but finding someone who can help us reach or health goals is important. Thanks for that suggestion!

Back