Trying To Break 90 Club

Broke 90 for the first time today! This was my 3rd time playing this course.

After a couple of depressing rounds at other courses (98/101/48) and a 96 on this course the last time I played there I decided I would play "smart golf". Only using the driver when needed and focusing on keeping my shot routine consistent instead of thinking about score. I told myself before the round that today I would keep the blowup holes away, shoot between 85 and 87 and trusted myself to execute it.

(Getting deeper into the mental aspect of golf)

I played the River Oaks Golf Club Chicago (White Tees 68.2/117 @ 5811 yds.)

Don't let the slope fool you, this is a tough course for a mid to high handicapper. Short in length but thin fairways surrounded by ravines and water so accuracy is a must or its easy to fall OB.
46/42 88 (+16)

TOTAL:
3 Penalties
35 Putts
4 Fairways Hit
6 Pars
9 Bogeys
2 Double Bogeys
1 Triple Bogey

7ccad41c50fd7e3db879e52ecc5afc7c.jpg

cf07618e47e16b4e7afcff69331ded7b.jpg

Was inconsistent with the driver when I did use it, only 4 fairways hit, but most of my fairways missed were still playable. (getting used to the smaller head of the Titlelist 983k compared to hitting the Nike SQ)

Struggled a bit on the front 9 with a couple of shanked iron shots off the tee, but my striking warmed up on the back 9.

Proud of myself, and the fact I can finally say I've broken 90. Now its time to work to keep my scores in the 80s.
Nice round TeeJay. Congrats

90 today...ughhhhh. 47/43 so I did fight back. 2 3 putts killed my round.
One was from about 12 ft on the par 3 16th. Did drain a 15 foot up hiller for par on 18. Really thought I was gonna do it today. Hopefully I can get another round or two in before winter sets in.

bc22b3b9602b2ac7d5fd581a40b87037.jpg

90 today...ughhhhh. 47/43 so I did fight back. 2 3 putts killed my round.
One was from about 12 ft on the par 3 16th. Did drain a 15 foot up hiller for par on 18. Really thought I was gonna do it today. Hopefully I can get another round or two in before winter sets in.

bc22b3b9602b2ac7d5fd581a40b87037.jpg
Great stat-tracker, that's very useful. While you mention the (2) 3-putts, I would look at that card and try to focus more on my fairway play and from 100 yards and-in. Getting the ball on target from those types of distances. You hit two par3's, and two par4's in regulation. I'd infer that your a little sketchy with fairway woods and/or long irons?

This is all just trying to help, so please don't take any of it personally! Great card anyways, 43's are a great feeling when you typically shoot in the 90's!!!

Great stat-tracker, that's very useful. While you mention the (2) 3-putts, I would look at that card and try to focus more on my fairway play and from 100 yards and-in. Getting the ball on target from those types of distances. You hit two par3's, and two par4's in regulation. I'd infer that your a little sketchy with fairway woods and/or long irons?

This is all just trying to help, so please don't take any of it personally! Great card anyways, 43's are a great feeling when you typically shoot in the 90's!!!
Thanks man. It's chipping and putting. From 30 yds out I was Eddie Money today. Stuck a few SW's from about 100 yds to within 8-10 ft. It was just they were 3rd shots to par 4's cause a couple wayward drives forced pitch outs.

I duffed one chip, skulled one over a green and the 2 3 putts and that's an 86 right there. All in all feel good about the round, just really wanted to break 90 today.

Thanks man. It's chipping and putting. From 30 yds out I was Eddie Money today. Stuck a few SW's from about 100 yds to within 8-10 ft. It was just they were 3rd shots to par 4's cause a couple wayward drives forced pitch outs.

I duffed one chip, skulled one over a green and the 2 3 putts and that's an 86 right there. All in all feel good about the round, just really wanted to break 90 today.
gotta love golf...
I finally broke 90 this year for the first time, and then did it 12/16 or so times out this summer. Once you do it, it'll click!

Yet another round today.
I think 46/41 87 GHIN to 86. (The reason I think is because the scorecard is in my golf bag)
A bit of difficulty after skulling a bunker shot on #2 led to a quad bogey 8. Got a little fortunate with driver, as I hit a tree and ended up in the fairway, only missed one FW all day. Putting was OK, not my best outing.
However, I will take the 87. It was a fun round, walking, 2hrs 33 min.

Went out yesterday and shot a 92, which has been my average score this year.

Yesterday was different though, much different. I usually rely on my short game to score, but yesterday was like role reversal. I decided early in the day that I had way too many swing thoughts going on and instead of worrying about those, I was just going to do my practice and thinking behind the ball and then just step up and swing. I found that without those thoughts in my head, there was no fear to just swing and swing harder. I didn't care where the ball went, I looked at the target and pulled the trigger.

I ended up having my best ball striking day in a couple years. Driver has been my nemesis for a long time, but I was crushing it with the new "No Fear, just swing hard" attitude. I had 4 drives in the fairway that were over 260 yards, which is incredible for me. Fairway woods were devastatingly good and my iron play was the best I've seen it this year.

So with all of this awesomeness going on, I should have went super low, right? Well, it seems like the don't think about it attitude, while it works awesome for ball striking does not have the same effect on my short game. Wedges were mediocre at best but what really killed me was putting. I had 5 3-jacks, all of which were 3 putt bogeys and I missed a bunch of 1 putts that I would typically expect to make. I still left the course feeling good about my game, but know that I'm going to have to put some work in on the greens this week.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Went out yesterday and shot a 92, which has been my average score this year.

Yesterday was different though, much different. I usually rely on my short game to score, but yesterday was like role reversal. I decided early in the day that I had way too many swing thoughts going on and instead of worrying about those, I was just going to do my practice and thinking behind the ball and then just step up and swing. I found that without those thoughts in my head, there was no fear to just swing and swing harder. I didn't care where the ball went, I looked at the target and pulled the trigger.

I ended up having my best ball striking day in a couple years. Driver has been my nemesis for a long time, but I was crushing it with the new "No Fear, just swing hard" attitude. I had 4 drives in the fairway that were over 260 yards, which is incredible for me. Fairway woods were devastatingly good and my iron play was the best I've seen it this year.

So with all of this awesomeness going on, I should have went super low, right? Well, it seems like the don't think about it attitude, while it works awesome for ball striking does not have the same effect on my short game. Wedges were mediocre at best but what really killed me was putting. I had 5 3-jacks, all of which were 3 putt bogeys and I missed a bunch of 1 putts that I would typically expect to make. I still left the course feeling good about my game, but know that I'm going to have to put some work in on the greens this week.

Funny how that works, isn't it? I'm the same way, usually it's my short game that helps me score OK, but I've found that rounds when I hit more FIR and my irons are solid, my wedges & putter revolt. Drives me nuts.

I am going to have some fun today. I have taken my driver and 3 wood out of the bag for the day and I'm going to play with an old friend of mine who plays from the forward tees at 5600 yards. I have been absolutely crushing my 7 wood, so it's staying in the bag and we are going to see what I shoot with my trouble clubs out of the bag so I'm not even tempted to reach for them.

I'm going to track the round using my golf tags and see what I shoot. Should be a good time.

Well, just got back and it was a success. I used only irons, ended up leaving my 7 wood at home also. I ended up shooting 88, which could have been considerably better, but I was overswinging with my 4 iron on the front 9, which led to some poor shots. Once I calmed down, I was piping it 200-210 on most shots. Some shorter, some longer, but a great average for me with a 4 iron. Longest was 236 with some help from a hill.

I'm happy with that, but I think I will make this a Sunday thing throughout the winter. By the time summer comes, I should have a reliable 200 yard go-to shot with the 4 iron.

45/53 98 today. Lousy back 9.

43/48 for 91.

Two big numbers on the back killed what was a pretty good round going.

43/48 for 91.

Two big numbers on the back killed what was a pretty good round going.
Thst was a very solid round. I would have thought you were in the mid 80s.

Those two holes don't stand out as much as a couple of your smoked three woods off the tee do.

Oh and that #StaffProto 4 iron move off the tee works very good as well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thst was a very solid round. I would have thought you were in the mid 80s.
Those two holes don't stand out as much as a couple of your smoked three woods off the tee do.

Oh and that #StaffProto 4 iron move off the tee works very good as well.

It certainly didn't feel like a 90s round, but I sometimes tend to compound mistakes. Adds up quickly.

That 4 iron is a blessing but it can be a curse too. I sent one through the first fairway at Blue Ridge Shadows. Thought for sure it caught the slope to the green or was sitting right there. No dice. Never did find it, either.

Driving myself nuts atm. Averaging between 92 and 100 (new driver and putter) just starting to get back to where I was before I switched. Really feel like my rounds are far better than where I keep ending, last 3 or 4 rounds have all been 92 - 94... frustrated atm I know its just those one or two holes where I'm having a 7 or something but seriously, give me a break game.

It's also been hard with 5 really really good rounds coming off my best for handicap calc and that artificially pushing out my handicap, hard to get my head around it.

Here are the two best tips that I can offer:

1. Breaking 90 is a decision
    How may times have you heard that golf is played between the ears? Well I'm here to say that it's absolutely true. Breaking 90 is not buying new equipment, revamping your entire swing, or even a lot of additional practice. For MOST of you that haven't broken 90, I don't believe that any additional (beyond what you are already doing) practice is needed. The swing / skills that you had to break 100 is most likely sufficient, IMHO, to break 90. However, additional practice WILL help quicken your goal of breaking 90.

When you made that decision just play smarter golf. For example, don't follow a bad shot with a another bad (stupid) shot. If a bad shot takes you into the trees, don't try that stupid 3% shot to the green. Instead, look to fairway where you can make that easy safe chip or pitch. BUT make sure you pick a specific target on the fairway - about the size of a beach towel, concentrate, and make that shot. Now if you do this and missed your shot (the towel) by 10 or even 15 yards, you are probably in a good to very good location for your next shot. You are not still standing in the trees, with your ball resting near your feet. You will soon see that deciding on not making stupid shots didn't even cost you a full stroke, it's probable only about a half a stroke. Why, because you are probably further down the fairway even if your original shot was very good. So you only gave up half a store to be in that better position. You'll be surprised by how many strokes you will save here and there, and avoiding those stupid blow-up holes that your probably making today. PLAY GOLF BETWEEN YOUR EARS and play smart golf.

2. STOP looking at your scorecard during the round
    Have one of your playing partners keep your score. Tell them that you do not want to know the score until AFTER the round is completed. NOT after nine holes, and ESPECIALLY NOT after 17 holes. Look at your scorecard while at the 19th hole. Why are you putting undue pressure on yourself? If you are playing well you will already know it. The worst thing to do, IMHO, is to record where you are to par after every hole on the scorecard. Why are you doing this? Why on earth would you want to be standing on the 18th tee knowing that you MUST par to break the magical 100, 90, 80, or whatever your milestone may be. Remember tip #1.

Breaking 100 is a lot tougher to do than breaking 90 and you already have done that.

Let me tell you a little about my self. It took me two years playing about once a week to break 100. I starting golfing when I was 34 and my score was 130+. Golf was the most unnatural thing for me, I could not golf, but I just loved the game. Back then shooting around 110 was just a dream to me.

Finally, I was shooting between 105 and 100 - about ten consecutive rounds. The last of those 5 rounds were between 102 and 100. Then the magical day came and I shot a 97, I finally broke the ice. Three rounds latter I shot an 88. My playing partner kept telling me that it was just a decision on my part to break 100 and he was absolutely right.

Give some serious thought as to where your game is today, and then DECIDE to break 90.

Sorry for the long post and putting up with my rambling.

Cheers!

Shot a 94 yesterday, course now closed :angry:, I have other courses avail so no biggie. 2 x 8s, 1 x 7. It was a cold one and the old body didn't get moving. It was a shotgun and I started on #15 (1st 8), after hole #1 I settled down and played some good golf. Lots of pars but no birdies to offset those 3 bad holes.

45/40=85. Fourth sub-90 round of the season. Going out tomorrow and going to try for another.

I did break 90 about a couple of times. Yesterday, I shot 93, which could have been below 90 had I paid more attention to my putts. I had a match play going on with my buddy so I got lazy with my putts when I knew I had 2 or 3 putts to win the hole.

My past games in several different courses have been 95, 96, 97, 95, 96 and 93 yesterday. That was my longest run of games where I didn't touch 100. And to think I had an 8 and a 9 somewhere in those games.

I don't think I'm in a hurry to break 90 consistently since that means less strokes from my buddies. It's not sandbagging, I just don't like the added pressure of low handicaps.

Played gold tees with the old timers today at a short 5000yds. Shot 42/40=82

First time breaking 90 today! 123 slop rating course playing off 22 handicap today.

Started with 3 pars then took a turn for the worse. Ended front 9 with 45. Started the back nine terribly with double double but finished strong with 3 pars for a 43!

Last hole is a long par 5 but managed to reach in 2. Driver followed by 19 degree hybrid. 3 putt for par.

Best thing to take from this is that i only hit 2 fairways. So my recovery was on point today! Driving needs a lot of work. Tee boxes in general really. 34 putts as well. Not the best but ok by my standards.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Broke through one more time yesterday at Swan Point 44/43~87

Definitely feel like I could have went lower. Had way too many penalties from playing the course for the first time. Still happy with a sub 90 round.....

Broke through one more time yesterday at Swan Point 44/43~87

Definitely feel like I could have went lower. Had way too many penalties from playing the course for the first time. Still happy with a sub 90 round.....
Well done man. Keep at it

Back