Trying To Break 90 Club

Crazy roller coaster ride for a 49 today. A quad, 2 triples, a double, 2 bogeys, 2 pars and a pitch-in from 40 yards for birdie. 16 putts.

So even though it is not my lowest score ever I feel my round today may have been my best ever.
I shot 80(39/41) on a pretty tough track. My previous scores at this course were 94, 100, 89, 95, 88.
Had 8 FW (but only 1 really bad drive) 8 GIR and 31 putts and even more importantly, just 1 double-bogey and no penalties.

So even though it is not my lowest score ever I feel my round today may have been my best ever.
I shot 80(39/41) on a pretty tough track. My previous scores at this course were 94, 100, 89, 95, 88.
Had 8 FW (but only 1 really bad drive) 8 GIR and 31 putts and even more importantly, just 1 double-bogey and no penalties.

Great round Andy!! Where did you play today?

Great round Andy!!

That's a very very solid round! congrats

Played my first round in months today and shot an 87. Back to back birdies on the back 9 really helped out a lot especially with a couple of 7's. Played consistent from tee to green, but my iron play is what stood out today.

Congrats man!

Trying To Break 90 Club

Finally getting some semblance of health again. I have recently begun to rework my swing. I have been horribly out of sync and it is causing problems throughout the bag. I spent 2.5 hours at the range yesterday. First 1.5 hours with the 6 iron working to lock in swing mechanics. The another hour on short game and putting. Trying to do the opposite today or Friday before playing on Saturday.

Just checked my rounds in Golfshot. A 43/47 for a 90 on July 18, then off the rails except for the front 9 40 on Sept 6. So inconsistent. The 100 last weekend felt much better. It my rust showed. That course is much tougher than my normal tracks. It's a 2nd shot course and iron game must be precise. Let's see what happens this weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447332472.406461.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447332488.949136.jpg

After posting a best ever 41 on a front nine last month, I had a meltdown on the back for 41/53. Since that front 9, I haven't broken 100 again. I was pressing in a major way and screwing up all aspects of the game.

To compound my issues, I fell off a horse 3 weeks ago. Yes, off an actual horse. Tweaked my back which may have been a painful blessing in disguise. In my layoff, I have started to redo my swing back to what I found from iTeach. Feels good around the house and yard, but I haven't played or hit balls on the range in awhile. Getting out today and hoping for more consistency.

I have 2 scrambles and a regular round from Friday to Monday. Hoping I can find something I can take into the fall months. I still have time to break 90 before the year ends. Hoping the time off helps.

It will come back to you. Keep plugging away.

Some good rounds happening out there guys, keep it up while you can.

Some good rounds happening out there guys, keep it up while you can.

I think we're just about done here in St. Louis... 57 for a high today (not bad) but 22 mph winds. Couple days in the 60s this weekend and then diving down into the 40s next week. It's almost time for the ceremonial removing of the bag from the trunk.

I shot a 116 yesterday. That was all down to my iron play or lack of it. Im hitting driver straighter and longer than before, rarely 3 putting and confident with my hybrid from around 180 - 200 yards out. Wedges from 30 yards and in Im comfortable which is reflected in having less putts. BUT my irons are the worse they have ever been, when you stand on the tee watching your ball hitting fairways then shanking the ball right 30 yards into the rough, trees, hazards or OB, or teeing it up on a par 3 with a iron in hand watching your ball flying left into a hazard it get a little demoralising. I found my swing on the last 3 holes of the round and went bogie, par, par so its there somewhere.

The weird thing is my iron swing doesn't feel any different to how it use to be. I went for a lesson last week to try and cure them and its got worse. Today I was at the range and tried a two ball drill I saw online, where you line up 2 balls approx 2" apart, set up on the outer ball and hit the inner one. 8 out of 10 went straight and back to normal distance with good clean contact. I then went back to 1 ball and the shanks came back. I tried looking 2 inches inside the ball and not at the ball which helped a little, I put the 2nd ball back down and was back to hitting it properly.

I think its a combination of mentally over thinking and coming ott on my downswing which is caused by a lack of tempo / timing at the moment. Its just so frustrating going from being on the verge of breaking 90 and going backwards to over 110 scores, especially when my tee game and putting is a lot better than it has been the last few months.

...The weird thing is my iron swing doesn't feel any different to how it use to be. I went for a lesson last week to try and cure them and its got worse. Today I was at the range and tried a two ball drill I saw online, where you line up 2 balls approx 2" apart, set up on the outer ball and hit the inner one. 8 out of 10 went straight and back to normal distance with good clean contact. I then went back to 1 ball and the shanks came back. I tried looking 2 inches inside the ball and not at the ball which helped a little, I put the 2nd ball back down and was back to hitting it properly.

I think its a combination of mentally over thinking and coming ott on my downswing which is caused by a lack of tempo / timing at the moment. Its just so frustrating going from being on the verge of breaking 90 and going backwards to over 110 scores, especially when my tee game and putting is a lot better than it has been the last few months.

I've been there with both the driver and irons, one round good next round cringe-worthy. Obviously I'm no expert, but I have got some great tips from THP, online, friends, etc.. Tempo is still #1 with me, slow it down and things get better almost all the way around. Hitting the ball with the back of your left hand and clubface in sync and keeping your back to the target a little longer have helped me too. Lots of little band-aids out there that help but you need the reps and focus to make them stick.

Trying To Break 90 Club

I've been there with both the driver and irons, one round good next round cringe-worthy. Obviously I'm no expert, but I have got some great tips from THP, online, friends, etc.. Tempo is still #1 with me, slow it down and things get better almost all the way around. Hitting the ball with the back of your left hand and clubface in sync and keeping your back to the target a little longer have helped me too. Lots of little band-aids out there that help but you need the reps and focus to make them stick.

It's tempo when I really slowed it down and forced myself to concentrate on that inside ball it was a thousand percent better. I'm going to persevere on that drill.

It's forcing my hands to stay closer on the downswing which in turn stops me pushing my hips forwards and manner of other bad things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we're just about done here in St. Louis... 57 for a high today (not bad) but 22 mph winds. Couple days in the 60s this weekend and then diving down into the 40s next week. It's almost time for the ceremonial removing of the bag from the trunk.

We've been sitting in the high 30s to low 40s, below the normal for here, I've been delaying the ceremonial bag out of the trunk lol.

We've been sitting in the high 30s to low 40s, below the normal for here, I've been delaying the ceremonial bag out of the trunk lol.

Weather for our area is really out of the ordinary. Extended forecast shows that golf may still be a possibility into mid December.
I don't trust a 24 hour forecast let alone an extended one but I hope they're right.

It's tempo when I really slowed it down and forced myself to concentrate on that inside ball it was a thousand percent better. I'm going to persevere on that drill.

It's forcing my hands to stay closer on the downswing which in turn stops me pushing my hips forwards and manner of other bad things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But imo don't confuse tempo with slowing down as is not always the case. A good tempo is good at any speed and one can indeed slow things down and yet still never find nor have good tempo where things still fall apart and all you then really have is a slower swing but still a poor tempo. To exaggerate I see so many swings slowed down to a flaw and almost even a slow motion sort of backswing and yet still no fluidity or tempo, timing at all whatsoever. Tempo (via Relaxed and fluid) is often confused with slow when in reality all it really is , is just that "relaxed and fluid" and actually often results in faster swings. Tempo is my biggest flaw and is why i cant consistently stay below 90 for long at all.

Its what causes just about any mechanical breakdown imo. Its why imo I can shoot an 85 and then a 102 in the same day. its why I can have 7pars,2 birds and yet 3 triples and 2 quads in the same darn round. Its why my inconsistencies are with any club in the bag in any part of my game at any time. My tempo simply breaks down at any time with any club from anywhere. Someimtes its a few shots in a row and sometimes scattered every few between. Can come and go in clumps or spread out anywhere.

Not trying to kill the ball doesn't necessarily mean imo to slow down, it just means relax and find a tempo and timing regardless of speed. And find that and most probably the swing will actually be faster. When I am hitting very well (relatively speaking) and I of course at those times am keeping a good tempo I find that I can change my swing speed to adjust for distances or different desired shots for different reasons and still maintain my (at the time) good tempo. So imo its not about finding a speed but is simply about finding tempo regardless and the club then will do its job.

As for the concentration on the inside ball resulting in good shots vs when you just have the one ball to look at? Sounds like it works perhaps because when its only the one ball sitting there you are then trying to hit it instead of swinging through it but having the other ball to concentrate on perhaps allows you to just swing the club without the thought of having to hit at the actual played ball and are simply then swinging the club through it and letting the club do its job. But hey just a theory on my part :)

Now with all that said, if I could just do this stuff all the time myself I'd be one happy and pretty darn good golfer :) But I'm not :( lol......well, I am happy anyways. 1 of 2 aint bad I guess :)

Rollin is right on. My issues come up when I snatch it too quick from the top instead of having a good tempo and accelerating through the ball. This is usually what causes that OTT move. A little pause at the top along the lines of Hideki Matsuyama and Chris Kirk can help get the swing started with the lower body.

Weather for our area is really out of the ordinary. Extended forecast shows that golf may still be a possibility into mid December.
I don't trust a 24 hour forecast let alone an extended one but I hope they're right.

I'll play if it's above 45 IF: 1) the sun is out, and 2) the wind is calm or relatively light. Once the wind starts howling I'm out.

I shot an 87 today. All of my irons and wedge play were simply outstanding - felt like I was throwing darts. However, my driver and putter were ice cold. I stopped using my driver after 9 holes and was hitting my 3W longer and straighter than my driver. Had 6 legitimate birdie putts (inside 8') which I only made one. The funny this I was draining my puts on the practice green.

I'm still working out the distances on new Ping irons, but the short term results have been very gratifying.

I shot an 87 today. All of my irons and wedge play were simply outstanding - felt like I was throwing darts. However, my driver and putter were ice cold. I stopped using my driver after 9 holes and was hitting my 3W longer and straighter than my driver. Had 6 legitimate birdie putts (inside 8') which I only made one. The funny this I was draining my puts on the practice green.

I'm still working out the distances on new Ping irons, but the short term results have been very gratifying.

Yes. good iron play getting you close if not on greens in an efficient manor can certainly help lower the scores.

BTW - I look at your avatar and feel like a................... "Meathead"
Great stuff there.

I spent a long time at the range Friday trying to sort this swing out. I hit somewhere around 75 - 80 balls setting up normally then moving my rear foot back around 4-5 inches. Starting with hip to hip swings and progressively getting longer until I was doing full swings. Once that got repeatable I set up normally and tried to replicate the same feelings. It WORKED. I'm still not 100% confident standing over the ball with a iron but its getting better than the last few weeks.

Played 18 this morning and had one shank which obviously was on a par 3 with water all the way down the right hand side. I had to take 3 drops this morning, one as mentioned, one on a par 5 and one on a par 4. All water bound, the sweetner with the other two were one was hit longer than I thought and the other I hooked left into water. Going from shanks to a freaky hook wasnt that bad. Walked off with a 92 total.

So close. Enjoying following along on the journey.

If I'm honest I have been that close to quitting recently. When I worked on it yesterday and ended up hitting the ball off the face and not the hosel or heel, I was like a small child who's Christmas's had all come at once. Something clicked and no way was a lump of metal and a small round ball going to beat me. Still a lot of practice needed.

Back