What's your pre-putt routine?

When possible without stepping on anyone's line, I walk from the ball to the hole and let my feet tell me the slope or angle. Go 90 degree from the putting line on the high side to look, get down, squat, behind the ball and visualize water coming out of a hose. Which way does the water flow? Get over the ball, look at the hole, take two practice swings still looking at the hole, pick a spot on the back of the ball and stroke it. Don't lift my head till the ball is out of sight looking down to where it was.

.....If it goes in act like it was nothing special. If it misses, tap down the imaginary spike mark that was in the line. Sink the tap in.
Love it. Getting harder though to find spike marks with the newer spikeless golf shoes. Ever time I see footage of golf in the 80's, 90's and 2000's you can see the spike marks all around the hole. Felt sorry for the last couple groups playing each day , the spike marks were real bad by the end of the day.

I read the putt from behind, stand up over the ball until comfortable and then make my stroke. Rarely do I practice the stroke as I just don't think it helps any.

Same here.

- I rarely do anything special, as far as reading the greens go. I tend to do any 'reading' from behind the ball, and always when others are putting (unless I'm first to putt, then I'll spend about 15 seconds deciding on a target).

- I aim the line on my ball towards my target, remove my ball mark, take 2-3 steps back behind the ball and take 1 practice swing (sometimes 2 if I don't feel the first was the right length).

- I'll then stand up to the ball, but stay back enough to take 1 more practice swing while looking at the hole.

- I'll 'tag' the shot on Game Golf and then I'll put the putter head behind the ball with my right hand, lining up the line on the ball with the line at the top of my putter, keeping my left hand on my left thigh.

- When I've got it lined up, I will place my left hand on the grip and let the putt go.

* NOTE - If I'm playing Bermuda greens with a lot of grain in them, I'll usually take a look at the cup to see which way the grain is going when I pull the flag (if I am not the one to pull the flag, I'll still try to take a peek), and then I'll factor that into my target.

1. place marker, pick up the ball and clean it.
2. if possible, take a few steps behind marker, crouch down, and read the break. "see" the ball going into the hole, and try to envision which part of the hole. stand up and make a couple practice swings with only my left hand.
3. walk to a distance about halfway between the ball and hole, maybe about 6 feet on the low side of the putt. so if it's a 10' right-to-left putt, i'll walk take a couple steps down my line and to the left, about 6' to the left of the midpoint.
4. replace ball, lining up the line on the ball with my intended line. take a few steps back from the line, making small practice swings with just my left hand, and make sure it all looks good.
5. step into the putt, placing putter behind the ball and using rst to ensure everything is lined up well. take a few more looks at the hole, then eyes back to putter, then eyes to a spot just a couple inches in front of the ball down the line, and pull the trigger.
6. curse myself for yet another yippy putting stroke.

i've never timed it, but i think all of this happens in about a minute.

I made two long putts for birdie yesterday (one was just 3" off the green). Made most of my putts inside 6' as well. The greens had just been punched and sanded (the sand was quite think at the fridge of the birdie I made from off the green. I am doing much of what Dave Stocton says. I read the putt (usually just behind the ball is enough for me but on a big breaker I will stand on the low side of the line). I take 1 or two practice strokes behind and perpendicular to the ball while looking at an aim point 2" to 12" in front of the ball (was easy yesterday because all of the punches), then get into my stance just looking to feel comfortable and think of only getting the ball rolling on my line.

From the ball mark, I replace the ball with no markings showing on top of the ball. I then step back about 4 feet behind the ball and read the break and slope from there.
My read takes about 10 seconds.
I then step up right behind the ball and on the line of my read I make 2 practice stokes to get the feel.
I then address the ball and make the putt.

All in all from my read to my putt, I would say it averages less than 45 seconds.

Back