Lie Angle - What Are You?

Mine are set to an angle and I have a copy of it in my golf stuff. My coach also put a copy in my file so we can verify when needed and see if things change as swing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually pleasantly surprised after going back through the responses and seeing a good amount of people with actual specific lie angles instead of just +#/-#. I never put much thought into it before i looked up a new set against mine to see what I would need lie angle wise. It's interesting but it makes a lot of sense considering I've always really enjoyed Mizuno's stock irons and felt like they fit my swing better. Well...being flatter and a tad shorter (making them even flatter essentially) makes a lot more sense now.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised after going back through the responses and seeing a good amount of people with actual specific lie angles instead of just +#/-#.
OK, I'll play!

X-UT 56.5° (39.25")
5 58.25° (37.75”)
6 58.75°
7 59.25°
8 59.75°
9 60.25°
PW 60.5°
GW 60°
SW 60°
LW 60°

1/2" longer and 3.5 up for me.

So what I've found interesting is how companies determine their "standard" lie angle, that I bet most don't think about.

My Bridgestone 7i is "standard" at 62.5*, while the Mizuno MP-25's 7i is "standard" at 61.5*, and the Srixon 745's 7i is 62* standard. 3 different sets, 3 different standard lie angles. 1* flat in the B-stones is actually standard in the Mizuno's, but only .5* flat in the Srixon's.

Does anyone actually get their irons set to specific lie angles instead of just a "standard" or "1* flat" setting?

Yes, mine are set to specific lie angles not based upon a fitting but the lie angle of clubs that I used successfully for years and had them measured.

It is possible those specs may no longer be accurate? Of course, but I'm sticking with it.

This usually equates to 1*-2* flat.

2* upright in Bridgestone

yes i am two degrees flat.

One degree flat at last fitting. This reminds me that I haven't checked that lately.

1 degree flat for me...

Dax

Fit for both 1 (ping) and 2 (nike) up. Got the Nike irons at 2 up but think the 1 was correct. Getting more dirt on the heel than ever before.

2up on my XR pros.

Hit off of a lie board yesterday and got some odd results.

1/2" short clubs, standard lie = lie board showed all strikes towards the heel.
Standard length and lie = lie board show all strikes dead center.

How is that even possible? I would think it would be completely opposite? Am I just crazy? I was fit into 1/2" short and standard lie. I noticed I was missing left and hitting alot of pretty big draws which is odd to see from my natural fade.

Have you done the sharpie line on the ball test?

Could be a pull hook from an OTT move. The 1/2" short might have your subconscious golfer feeling the need to go out after the ball.

I think every 1/2" change in shaft length equates to a 1* change in lie, shorter being flatter.

3 degrees flat. I have short legs!!

Have you done the sharpie line on the ball test?

Could be a pull hook from an OTT move. The 1/2" short might have your subconscious golfer feeling the need to go out after the ball.

I think every 1/2" change in shaft length equates to a 1* change in lie, shorter being flatter.

I have... I took the standards and the sharpie line is just barely towards the heel. The 1/2" short is a good bit towards the toe. You would think it would be backwards, because I would think that shorter clubs are flatter.

I have... I took the standards and the sharpie line is just barely towards the heel. The 1/2" short is a good bit towards the toe. You would think it would be backwards, because I would think that shorter clubs are flatter.

Same KBS Tour 90 in each? I wonder if the weights of the respective heads differ significantly.

Do you notice any change in setup between the two? Try this: take one iron from each of the same number (say 7). Address the ball with one club, then switch to the other and take the shot right away. I'm curious to see if your ball flight differs from what you're currently getting. Try it in both directions, for the sake of science!

Same KBS Tour 90 in each? I wonder if the weights of the respective heads differ significantly.

Do you notice any change in setup between the two? Try this: take one iron from each of the same number (say 7). Address the ball with one club, then switch to the other and take the shot right away. I'm curious to see if your ball flight differs from what you're currently getting. Try it in both directions, for the sake of science!

Exact same shafts.

It really is crazy to me. When I take the 1/2" short clubs, I feel like I bend down a touch more, which in turn makes them more upright just from the naked eye. Ball flight is so different too. 1/2" short is a "power draw", probably like 10 yard draw. Standard is a really small baby fade.

Exact same shafts.

It really is crazy to me. When I take the 1/2" short clubs, I feel like I bend down a touch more, which in turn makes them more upright just from the naked eye. Ball flight is so different too. 1/2" short is a "power draw", probably like 10 yard draw. Standard is a really small baby fade.

Well, there's nothing wrong with a draw if you hit it consistently, though 10 yards might be a bit more than desirable. Is the difference in length between like irons a full 1/2"? Maybe more? The 1/2" short is from that particular clubmaker's standard length, so the difference between irons from another set could be more or less than 1/2"

2 degrees upright

Well, there's nothing wrong with a draw if you hit it consistently, though 10 yards might be a bit more than desirable. Is the difference in length between like irons a full 1/2"? Maybe more? The 1/2" short is from that particular clubmaker's standard length, so the difference between irons from another set could be more or less than 1/2"

It does seem to be 1/2" short or really close to it, in direct comparison. Perhaps it is just the indian and not the arrow, but these power draws are hard to control. Especially when my natural ball flight is a fade.

Might try and play with the lie angles on the 1/2" short and bend them flat a degree and see what that does.

Back