Getting fit for my current driver.

TWO2SEVEN

Reaction score
Handicap
I bought a new driver when I first started taking lessons, about six months ago. Out of all of my clubs, I struggle the most with the driver. I hit a 3 wood much better, so I am wondering if perhaps my driver is a bit too long for me. I am only 5'8" and the driver is stock.

Is it possible/cost effective to get my current shaft modified or would it be better to get a different shaft if a fitter finds that I would benefit from a shorter driver?

Thanks!

It could definitely benefit shortening your current shaft if that is deemed to be the best fit for you. I am 6'1" and I play at most a 44.5" driver. I played my G30 at stock length for the review process on the site, but have since replaced the shaft and cut it to my normal length. No loss in distance and my consistency from great strike to mediocre strike is much better.

Thank you! I wasn't sure if shortening a shaft (as opposed to buying a shorter one) would have any adverse effect.

Definitely talk to your fitter before making the adjustment. When you cut a shaft down, you change the swingweight. To get the SW back up, you need to add weight to the head. By doing this you can make the shaft play slightly weaker to flex. Many won't be able to tell the difference in SW. Those who do and add weight may not notice the affect on flex. I tend to notice when my shaft plays weaker and will compensate by tipping the shaft 1/2" to 1" to stiffen the tip section. Again, not everyone will even notice these things. Feel is very personal and it is always good to tell your fitter what you like and what you are feeling while being fit.

There are tons of guys here that play their drivers anywhere from 1/2 inch to and inch short for control reasons. I am 6' 2" and I play my driver at 44.5" because I can control it much better.

As was said above, make sure you take it to a good fitter or a reputable shop to get it cut down so they can make sure the swing weight stays the same.

I play mine at 44.5 inches which is usually .5 inches to 1 inch short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play my current driver at 44.75", and I am hitting it better than ever. It is the 2nd shaft in my Stage2, and I cut down the stock shaft to 45", and hit both cut shafts 1,000% better then when it was at the standard 46", and I am just a tick over 5'9"

And IMO, I know it changed the swingweight cutting it down, but I couldn't feel a thing in terms of weight difference afterwards. I would just do what I did, and when it comes time to regrip, cut an inch or so off. I'm assuming your driver is adjustable and that means you can always get a replacement/new shaft pretty easily and swap it out easily

I would recommend getting some electrical tape. Build up the butt end of your club 1" from the top about 1/8" thick with it kind of like a baseball bat. This will prevent you from gripping the club full length. You'll choke up an inch, thus play it as a shorter club. Take it to the range and try it or better yet to the shop that's going to do the cutting. Hit it with a launch monitor going so you can see how you hit. If you like the feel of it, go ahead and have it shortened. If you don't, you simply remove the electrical tape and take a lesson from a qualified pro about how to hit your driver.

Shorter drivers tend to go a little straighter, but too short and you'll lose some distance.

You'll lighten your club by about 3 swing weights. It won't change the MOI of the clubhead. You may even be able to swing the club faster because of that. The shaft stiffness difference will be negligible on a butt cutt of 1".

Also, here's another thing and there's data to back up this. It's out there on the internet. There's Youtube videos done with this illustrating this, so I have facts to back up this statement. The difference between a S shaft and an A-flex shaft is going to be in feel only. Your Flightscope numbers will show only a difference of about 100 rpm total spin between the two. That's it. Watch the video by Mark Crossfield.

You don't need to have your shaft tip cut to make up the difference. That will change the raise the kick point of the shaft. I am supposed to use a S-flex with my driver. I game an A-flex with my driver. What makes the most difference are two things: driver loft and angle of attack. Studies have shown that most people play with too little loft on their drivers. I use 11.5 degrees to get a 13.5 - 14 degree launch angle.

Thanks for the tips so far. I may look in to getting a fitting soon. In the meantime I will choke up and see how that goes.

New guy questions again...

If I go get fitted and find that my driver is too long, is the current shaft able to be modified or will I have to buy a new shaft?

Thanks!

New guy questions again...

If I go get fitted and find that my driver is too long, is the current shaft able to be modified or will I have to buy a new shaft?

Thanks!
Should be able to modify the one you have. Pretty much any golf store around can take care of it. You can even take off some length, and if you want it back they can put an extension to take it back to the length you want.

Back