The Australian Open Nov 26-29,2015

Double

Reaction score
Can't wait for this...

Link: http://www.ausopengolf.com/

The course is ready and Spieth looks pumped and 63 is looking a little shaky.

I wish i was coming over for this. Maybe one year.

Really excited to see if Jordan can follow up his epic tournament from last year.

Really excited to see if Jordan can follow up his epic tournament from last year.

Same here... I can only make it on one of the days unfortunately so I'm thinking Saturday's play is the day to watch.

Matthew Jones wins Australian Open.

Sunday: In what was the easier of conditions seen over the four days, Australian Matthew Jones hung tough to secure his national open title and only his second professional tour victory. Partnered with Jordan Spieth on the final day Jones managed a 73 (+2) for his final round to finish -8 for the tournament. Jordan Spieth despite applying considerable pressure across the round posted an even par 71 in the end to finish equal T2 and -7 overall with Adam Scott posting a final round of 65 or -6 for the day to finish at -7 and T2 overall with Spieth.

However the big news early on the final day was the final round of Australian Rod Pampling, coincidently last years Open runner-up, who went out and shot a course record 61 despite making bogey on the first hole of the day. At -6 for the tournament, Pampling was already in the clubhouse by the time the leading group had hit the 3rd Tee and set the cat amongst the pigeons as Jones poor start had conceded several shots just as Spieth began to claw back some of the over night deficit with some deft play. The pressure was further piled on as Adam Scott made 4 birdies through 7 holes with the leading pair seemingly blind-sided and having to now keep a close eye on Scott out on course as well each other as positions on the leader board was changing seemingly after each hole.

The turning Point...

The turning point strangely enough came as a result of a lapse in concentration when on the 9th Jones pulled his tee shot to finish off of the fairway and on the pine chip at the end of the tree line. His 2nd shot required 189m to a stepped green and needing a carry of 160m across water. Unfortunately he clipped the top of a tree some 50m further on and his ball found the middle of the lake as a result. After making a double-bogey 6 both Jones and Spieth now headed for 10 locked at -6 a piece.

On 14 Jones was again left off the tee and among the pine chip while Spieth was centre of the fairway and 20m further on. His tournament now rested on this next shot and after deliberating for what seemed an eternity he struck a 3 iron clean with a low sweeping draw that ran right up between the left and right front bunkers and came to rest within 10 ft of the hole. Spieth turned and gave Jones a long and deliberate "thumbs up" gesture in recognition.

The final Hole...

Both stood on the tee of the final hole with Jones holding a slim 1 shot lead. It wasn't over and the question was can Jones hold it together and if so, what will Spieth produce. It was all or nothing for Spieth. A second shot 3W from 221m out that landed dead centre of the 18th green with a gallery 10 deep looking on. 15' for eagle and a possible play-off! Jones with 25' after landing a touch shorter... Both parred the last.

The Course...

The old girl has been significantly redesigned twice in her 111 year history. A typically Australian course, not overly sculptured or manicured but rather a natural setting that's inviting and warm and soft on the eye. Throw in some wind, some hot conditions and she has shown she can still challenge the very best golfers from around the world on her day.

A fantastic tournament from all respects.

Last edited:
Nice win for Jones. He was playing well late last season and I'm expecting to see a lot more of him in the mix this season as well. I'll have to watch the replay when it's on to see how everything unfolds.

Spieth was really off his game in the early parts of each round. He was hitting it all over the place and the winds were bad. He really should have won had he been even a little bit better.

Spieth was really off his game in the early parts of each round. He was hitting it all over the place and the winds were bad. He really should have won had he been even a little bit better.

I'd put it down to gauging the wind. Yesterday conditions seemed very conducive to hitting a low score but in fact the situation was deceptive. Balls flying above the tree line were buffered by strong gusts whilst the flags hung limp on some holes. No doubt JS had an off day by his standards, particularly with the putter and the result would have been different if he'd adapted better to the quickening speed of the greens.

Those who shot decent rounds yesterday were all very familiar with the course it should be noted.

It was hard to see on the coverage how tough the wind was but given how many shots were short or in the sand traps, it had to have been tough. Don't think I've seen Spieth in so many sand traps in one round.....

Interesting though that notwithstanding that Jones and Spieth and others had tough days and were even or over par, there were still some incredible rounds. Not sure how someone shot 10 under let alone those that were 4 or 5 under.

Back