hitting driver off heel with inside out swing.

Joe2617

Reaction score
Handicap
I used to hit a draw with my driver however the last 4 times I have visited the driving range I am suddenly hitting a fade, I have noticed that the strikes are towards the heel, I am certain I am not coming over the top, I'm confused as i haven't made any swing changes. I have tried addressing driver out of the toe but this does not make a difference, any advice to help with stopping hitting towards the heel?

thanks

It's possible to have an in-to-out path and still have a "swing direction" that is left. It has to do with where the center/bottom of your swing is versus where you make contact with the ball. You could be hanging back or not swinging enough to the right. Since you tee the ball up with the driver and move it forward in your stance you have to swing some to the right. You could try moving the ball back in your stance slightly or dropping your right foot back at address. I would still address somewhat on the toe as that is generally taught due to the discrepancy between the position of the head when resting on the ground versus hovering behind the ball just before impact.

You should also consider filming your swing from head on and down the line so that Freddie can see your setup, ball position, and swing. You'd get the most qualified response that way.

I have the same issue with my driver swing; massively in -> out swing path with a heel miss.

I have some "fixes" but they aren't legit at all and I'm not going to lead you down the wrong path. Freddie will get you sorted if you put some video up.

Yeah I've always had a flat swing so I'm guessing it's just got even flatter without me realising which Is suddenly causing the heel shots. Don't have any video unfortunately as I visit the range on my own currently.

I used to hit a draw with my driver however the last 4 times I have visited the driving range I am suddenly hitting a fade, I have noticed that the strikes are towards the heel, I am certain I am not coming over the top, I'm confused as i haven't made any swing changes. I have tried addressing driver out of the toe but this does not make a difference, any advice to help with stopping hitting towards the heel?

thanks

you may also be losing spine angle that is causing you to move closer to the ball before contact.

As CRW mentioned, try hovering your club at address in order to align your clubhead position. The mistake that I was also doing was that I used to align my clubhead while the head was flat on the ground. If you lift your club, you'll notice that the ball is now at the heel.

I have tried hovering at address but still the same result unfortunately, I think that my clubface is slightly open at impact which is causing the problem, which is annoying because just 2 weeks ago I was hitting draws.

you may also be losing spine angle that is causing you to move closer to the ball before contact.

Loss of spin angle would move you further from the ball no closer

There could be a few thing at play here. One thing for sure is that you are leading with the hrs of the club and two you are in fact over the top. My guess is that your arms are extend away from the body due to poor lower body action. If you lead with the lower body before you start the arms swing, the club will almost always drop into the slot and allow you to swing aggressive through the zone with out fear of being OTT.

If you lead with the arms then your hands can be thrown out instead of down toward the right hip.

It could also be your alignment that is causing this and thus you don't feel the OTT move. So check your alignments, knees, hips and shoulders all headed in the same direction. Also check that the legs are firing first to allow for the club to drop into the slot.

I'm certain I'm not over the top, if anything I come into the ball sometimes too shallow. I've read an article about strengthening the left hand grip which should help in squaring the clubface at impact.

I'm certain I'm not over the top, if anything I come into the ball sometimes too shallow. I've read an article about strengthening the left hand grip which should help in squaring the clubface at impact.

Good luck with your swing and your game.

Freddie,

Not to hi-jack the thread... I get the whole, lead with your lower body thing. However, when I tell myself that, I really over due it. I tend to slide my hips so far forward that I top alot of shots. Is it more of a bump than a slide that I should be doing? Like a casual hip bump and then go?

Freddie,

Not to hi-jack the thread... I get the whole, lead with your lower body thing. However, when I tell myself that, I really over due it. I tend to slide my hips so far forward that I top alot of shots. Is it more of a bump than a slide that I should be doing? Like a casual hip bump and then go?

You're not Hijacking at all. The amount your left hip moves is directly related to the amount it moves on the back swing. Some people move way off the ball on the back swing and have to slide back to the ball. Others can turn the shoulders with limited movement of the hips on the downswing.

The the things that has to be recognized is that if the hips slide out in front of the ball prior to impact, other body adjustment need to be made. Loss of spin angle, flipping of the hands because the club is way behind or just a bad shot.

The left hip should move out of the way so that the arms can swing down your intended swing line which is parallel to your target line. So the left hip actual pulls off or turns away from the golf ball as the arms drop down to the right hip and down the line.

You're not Hijacking at all. The amount your left hip moves is directly related to the amount it moves on the back swing. Some people move way off the ball on the back swing and have to slide back to the ball. Others can turn the shoulders with limited movement of the hips on the downswing.

The the things that has to be recognized is that if the hips slide out in front of the ball prior to impact, other body adjustment need to be made. Loss of spin angle, flipping of the hands because the club is way behind or just a bad shot.

The left hip should move out of the way so that the arms can swing down your intended swing line which is parallel to your target line. So the left hip actual pulls off or turns away from the golf ball as the arms drop down to the right hip and down the line.

Makes all of the sense in the world. When I really focus on bumping my hips, it causes me to sway!

I will focus on pulling/turning my left hip away from the golf ball.

If I can piggyback off Sanzabar with a follow-up:

You describe starting the downswing, as I understand it, by pulling the left hip off the line. Assuming my understanding is correct, how much, or how strong should this movement be? Can one pull the left hip off the line hard enough/far enough to pull the shoulders off the line before the club has time to get through the ball?

I could be mistaken, but isn't it true that you can be OTT even if you are way inside???

As a matter of fact, the more inside you go, the more likely you are to have to come OTT, no?
I believe the club can get so far inside that it is blocked from getting back to the ball unless you swing way OTT in an attempt to get the club head back to the ball.

I'm almost positive I've learned that as I'm another one that has a propensity to be too far inside.

OTT and having an Outside-In swing path are not necessarily the same thing are they?

My mistake was a slice when I started out. I 'fixed' it by learning to play from inside. My mistake then became a pull/pull hook. Both problems were the result of coming in OTT.

I could be mistaken, but isn't it true that you can be OTT even if you are way inside???

Yes. A lot of people roll their hands and arms open and inside early. Then they make a loop and come over the top. Like a reverse Jim Furyk (to varying degrees)

You can also have a decent path but hang back resulting in an in-to-out path but a swing direction that is to the left. An OTT swing also produces a swing direction that is left (for right handed golfers).

If I can piggyback off Sanzabar with a follow-up:

You describe starting the downswing, as I understand it, by pulling the left hip off the line. Assuming my understanding is correct, how much, or how strong should this movement be? Can one pull the left hip off the line hard enough/far enough to pull the shoulders off the line before the club has time to get through the ball?

Next time you have a chance. Get a club and swing to the top. The knees should be flexed, waist bent and shoulders turned 90*. From here just move the left hip by rotating it away from the golf ball. Yes there will be a slight move forward but it's in relation to the turning of the hip and not a slide. Pay attention to what happens to the club as you pull that hip. The club should drop down toward the right hip. It's not a huge move but just enough to get you in the 'slot'.

Now try the same move and slide the hips and you see a difference in your club position. A little movement in the right directing will go long way.

Back