Star Wars Episode VII Has a Title

Just got out. Overall not bad. I see where they are going with this. So much better than 1-3 imo

It was good. Not great. Very good though. Ridley and Boyega were standouts for me.

When Disney took over the franchise, they mentioned that all the books/comics that came out all this time were no longer SW cannon.

I know they said that, but some people have invested a lot of time in that universe, not easy to let it go!

Went and watched it again today, having let go of the books, and have to say I grinned from the unveiling of the garbage ship to walking out. JJ gave Star Wars the same life he gave Trek.

And picking up on Daniels Craig's cameo the second time was worth it.

Unfortunately I didn't care for the film that much. I rate it about as good as Revenge of the Sith. Too many coincidences, behaviors I feel are out of character for the original cast and paper thin motivation on the part of Kylo Ren. I've seen it twice and I'll see it again to try and solidify my feelings on it. Right now they're still swirling. It just didn't feel like a Star Wars movie to me. Something was missing. My son felt it too.

However I really liked the character of Rey and BB-8 giving the "thumbs up" melted even my cold heart.

And I'm still bummed about the discarding of the EU. That kept Star Wars alive for me when there was nothing else going on.

...paper thin motivation on the part of Kylo Ren.

Paper thin? Without any spoilers, I think his motivations are very, very clear in the movie and explained quite well.

If you want to chat about why, head over to the spoiler thread!!

I absolutely loved it. Thought it was everything it should have been, but I'm a Star Wars nut. Go figure.

I really enjoyed it. Saw it this afternoon. Far and away better than Ep. 1-3. Right up there with 4-6 for me. I read many of the books in the first 6 years of publishing, starting with the Zahn books and several others. I didn't have a problem putting that stuff out of my mind. I'll be seeing it again. Next time in 2D too. Did 3D this time and don't think it really added anything.

I'll be seeing it again. Next time in 2D too. Did 3D this time and don't think it really added anything.
I agree, I'll see it in 2d next time. The 3d was good, but not great. Avatars 3d blew this out of the water for sure.

I agree, I'll see it in 2d next time. The 3d was good, but not great. Avatars 3d blew this out of the water for sure.

I saw it in 2D the first time...and I think I'm going to go the 3D route the second time just to see the difference.

I'm watching it tonight. Can't wait to see what's going on with this version. I've purposely avoided spoilers. I'm excited to say the least.

I'm watching it tonight. Can't wait to see what's going on with this version. I've purposely avoided spoilers. I'm excited to say the least.
I cannot imagine going this long without being spoiled. Don't worry. It's just like Lost but not anything like it.

I saw it in 2D the first time...and I think I'm going to go the 3D route the second time just to see the difference.
Same here, I'm glad I saw it in 2D to start.

Reading the book first and than I will go see after the holidays. I'm sure i will be one of the last to see it but that is fine with me. Everyone goes ape shiate all the the time when events like this happen. Well ; not this cat . I can wait a while and than I will enjoy it

Hey guys, I hear all this down talk about eps 1-3. I seem to be in the minority and liked them. What did everyone hate about them. I also seem to be the only questioning the newest release. What am I missing?

Hey guys, I hear all this down talk about eps 1-3. I seem to be in the minority and liked them. What did everyone hate about them. I also seem to be the only questioning the newest release. What am I missing?
Why didn't I like Episodes 1 through 3? I'll give four reasons (to start) ...

1. Jar Jar Binks. Hated this character. With the white hot intensity of a million suns. Some comedic value is nice, but it's overload with this character.
2. Poorly developed Anakin Skywalker. Supposedly Anakin is a promising young jedi, but from the get go, he comes across like a petulant twit. There was so much promise in this character and Lucas dropped the ball, horribly. Anakin was never good, he was always either smug, a twit, or arrogant beyond measure ... all traits the Jedi eschew, but overlooked in this character.
3. George Lucas. George twisted around ANH to have Han shoot second because Han was a good guy. Yet in Episide 3, George has Anakin slaughter dozens of younglings yet in ROTJ Luke knows there is some good left in him? A mass murderer of children? Lucas was never consistent in his ideas and it showed in his movies. That's why ESB is the best movie of all seven to date ... it's the one he didn't direct.
4. CGI. Watching Yoda fight Dooku was interesting, but it was so obviously fake. Lucas leaned on CGI like a crutch, so much so that it's obvious it's there. With Avatar (as a comparison) the CGI really immerses you in the movie (it did for me at least) but with Episodes 1 through 3 it's in-your-face-obvious and it detracted from the films for me.

The new one is good, if only because it follows the same formula as ANH (IV). It touched on all the great parts of the first Star Wars movie, gave homage to some of the sillier bits (to keep it a family movie), but added some sizzle as well. If it stays too close to the formula of V and VI, it'll start to lose it's luster for me, but I figured this movie would really play to the older fanbase, and that's exactly what it did.

Why didn't I like Episodes 1 through 3? I'll give three reasons (to start) ...

1. Jar Jar Binks. Hated this character. With the white hot intensity of a million suns. Some comedic value is nice, but it's overload with this character.
2. Poorly developed Anakin Skywalker. Supposedly Anakin is a promising young jedi, but from the get go, he comes across like a petulant twit. There was so much promise in this character and Lucas dropped the ball, horribly. Anakin was never good, he was always either smug, a twit, or arrogant beyond measure ... all traits the Jedi eschew, but overlooked in this character.
3. George Lucas. George twisted around AMH to have Han shoot second because Han was a good guy. Yet in Episide 3, George has Anakin slaughter dozens of younglings yet in ROTJ Luke knows there is some good left in him? A mass murder of children? Guy was never consistent in his ideas and it showed in his movies. That's why ESB is the best movie of all seven to date ... it's the one he didn't direct.

The new one is good, if only because it follows the same formula as ANH (IV). It touched on all the great parts of the first Star Wars movie, gave homage to some of the sillier bits (to keep it a family movie), but added some sizzle as well. If it stays too close to the formula of V and VI, it'll start to lose it's luster for me, but I figured this movie would really play to the older fanbase, and that' what it did.

But was Anakin a Jedi or always evil? Like the Sith, there Jedi just dark, correct. I don't know just asking.

Huge fan of the series just not a star wars head, so I take what I see on the big screen.

I know everyone hates jarjar for his comic relief. But Han in the TFA was cracking jokes the entire moving. Didn't that get old?

I thought that took away from the darkness of the film. Love Han but that Badass swagger was gone, imo.

But was Anakin a Jedi or always evil?
Anakin was strong in the force, that's why his reflexes -as a mere child- allowed him to compete in the pod races. That's why Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) wanted to train him. His age was a reason why the Jedi were reluctant to take him on as a pupil, though Qui-Gon Jinn forced their hand. The fear of the Jedi was that he was too old to learn how to properly harness his abilities, and that teaching him would make him more powerful but less able to harness them. That came to fruitiion in Episode III, when he was played by Palpatine. How none of the Jedi saw it coming is laughable, which makes it another reason to hate it. That and the explanation of midichlorians. No need to get that specific on the origin of the Force ... and frankly it's a silly explanation anyways. But yeah, Anakin was a Jedi. He was on the Jedi council, though not promoted to Jedi Master ... which really stuck in his craw and gave us a few of his extra whiny scenes in Episode III.

I know everyone hates jarjar for his comic relief. But Han in the TFA was cracking jokes the entire moving. Didn't that get old?

I thought that took away from the darkness of the film. Love Han but that Badass swagger was gone, imo.
I take the Han joking in stride because he comes across as sarcastic, but he's still competent. Jar Jar is just a dolt, and the comedy is slapstick ... whereas to me, Han comes across as witty and smug, but still likeable.

Anakin was strong in the force, that's why his reflexes -as a mere child- allowed him to compete in the pod races. That's why Qui Gon Jin (Liam Neeson) wanted to train him. His age was a reason why the Jedi were reluctant to take him on as a pupil, though Qui Gon Jin forced their hand. The fear of the Jedi was that he was too old to learn how to properly harness his abilities, and that teaching him would make him more powerful but less able to harness them. That came to fruitiion in Episode III, when he was played by Palpatine. How none of the Jedi saw it coming is laughable, which makes it another reason to hate it. That and the explanation of midichlorians. No need to get that specific on the origin of the Force ... and frankly it's a silly explanation anyways.

I take the Han joking aside because he comes across as sarcastic, and he's still competent. Jar Jar is just a dolt, and the comedy is slapstick ... whereas to me, Han comes across as witty and smug, but still likeable.

Thanks buddy, I see what you are saying.

My only beef with E1-3 was the CGI - way too much. They constant jaw dropping CGI effects deterred from the characters.

I enjoyed 1-3 as well!

I'm probably in the minority but I liked how JJ used images form 4, 5 & 6 to lay out the storyline. My only complaint is wanting to see more of how Luke failed with training the Jedi and subsequently pushing Ren to the dark side.

Back