TTime

Reaction score
I like to tinker with new clubs here and there... but most skeptical with irons. Distances and gaps change, they can get pricey, and for me I'd have 7-8 new clubs I'd have to get the feel for.

My irons aren't "broke" and I hit them well but a part of me thinks there's something else out there that I could hit a fraction better(control, accuracy, consistence), and part of me keeps saying just "grow" with the irons you have and they'll be money after awhile.

What do you guys think? Indian not the arrow? The correct irons will make a difference? Looking for any opinions you have.

I'm wrestling with the very question myself right now. Got fitted into a Mizuno 850 Forged / Recoil Prototype setup that felt absolutely awesome and picked me up 3.5 yards on average. However, I still get pretty solid numbers with my Z-Star / NS Pro 1050 GH setup, and they sure don't feel like crap.

I'm of the opinion that the correct irons will make a difference, but I think as long as you're close to the right fit, your swing is what it really comes down to. One cannot buy a better game, at least not entirely.

I think the right arrows dial in the indian. I am super comfortable with my irons right now. Yes I am sure there are others that are longer or feel softer off the face, but I know what is going to happen when I swing my current irons. I was going through your same dilema and that ended up being my opion FWIW.

I say it is almost all Indian. I went from new GI irons (Callaway XR) to 15 year old brand new blades and played some of my best golf of the last couple of years at this years end after the change. New clubs are great and it is great that there are some many choices out there, but you can't buy a better game. Just make sure whatever you choose, they are fit to you.

Not for distance, but yes for accuracy. Having the wrong lie angle is probably the best reason to make a change. Lots of good players have old irons.

Yeah its a tough decision especially when we don't know what the outcome of the new irons will be... Either knowing where the balls gonna go or if we'll even like the new irons more than the old ones. Thanks a lot for the comments, for now I'll keep pondering but have no idea what I want to do yet.

I practice with old old hogan irons and groove a motion using them whenever I can. But when I play (to my surprise) I use a set of senior shafted Callaway razors. The ball flies so well off of them and the distance gaps are almost not present. Have so much confidence when standing over a difficult shot knowing these irons are so so solid for me. Used to play a set of mizuno pro irons for over 18 years . They were great for distance but always required my swing to be at a very high level of striking. The razors don't require that, I can be off slightly at times and still be in good shape.

It is the Indian but some arrows are forgiving

I'm not a fan of the grow into clubs philosophy. I think it is possible that other clubs could work better for you, but might take some research expertise to find the profile that fits you best and you being properly fitted for the clubs.

I change irons pretty much every year, but a true loyalist to Mizuno. I don't tinker as much since my professional fitting at "Cool Clubs", but I do change irons every year for its head design and looks. I currently play a set of MP-15's, but ever since I saw the MP-5's, I had to get my hands on one. Just this past Monday, I decided to order a set and will give it a try in the new year. I shouldn't be playing my current set or the coming MP-5's, but I feel that part of the game is about emotion. When I see a thin top line and clean looks, that inspires a lot more confidence than a chunky set of clubs. I also took my handicap down from 16 to 9 in about a year by forcing myself to play blade-like irons; it allows me to focus more on my ball striking.

I'm in the Indian not the arrow camp. I'm only on my 5th set of irons in 36 years and a couple of those sets were nearly identical Wilson Staffs.

Back