The Flop Shot - How Often Do You Use It?

Almost had to pull one off yesterday, but it was really just a high soft pitch. I just rarely see the need for anyone to pull off the full-fledged flop.

I wonder if these two shots are getting confused.

At least once or twice a round.

When I am shortsided with a trap between my ball and the green, this shot is a lifesaver. However I am more often in the trap than outside of it. I get on the green about 75% of the time, 15% in the trap, and 10% over the green. Still a fun shot to hit.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

Do it all the time with pretty good success at the range...never can gather the guts to do it on course.

I was in the same boat, but after changing wedges (to some with more usable grinds), it is something I feel more comfortable with.

I was in the same boat, but after changing wedges (to some with more usable grinds), it is something I feel more comfortable with.

Grind has some to do with it. Mostly as I found since switching from a 6 degree bounce wedge to a 14 degree bounce wedge its about hitting down under the ball so you catch it on the face and not with the lead edge. The 6 bounce I could hit a cut lob off anything with but the 14 bounce leaves me looking for a cushier lie.

You should get a nice thump out of it, kind of like a sand shot.

Do it all the time with pretty good success at the range...never can gather the guts to do it on course.
Range yes, practice green no, I'm always afraid I'm going to blade it into someone's car!

Gather them and do it. Its a scoring shot. When there is no other option its great to pull it out and lift it high and watch it plop and stop.

The only hard part at first is swinging that hard that close to the green but once you do it enough times you will find its the perfect shot when short sided with a green running away from you.

That and a guy with your handicap number should have no problem hitting it.

Yeah i really should. I did do it once on the course and probably the most memorable shot i've hit. Although the situation dictated a flop shot as the only reasonable shot. Had to go over some tallish shrubbery, front hole about 10 yards away, and water behind the green. Just feel more comfortable with a bump and run or regular pitch with a 15 foot putt than a flop with a potential 5...and the potential to blade it to boot.

I do it quite often from side bunkers. I am using 60 wedge most of the time with bunkers. The scary part, IF I miss the flop shot :beat-up:

I actually pulled this off Sunday. Hooked my tee shot on 1, hit a tree trying to hook it again 170yds, in a fairway bunker, punch to the 150yd marker. Thin my 7iron over the green into an uphill lie in thick rough, back pin. Severe down hill lie onto a down sloping green, pin 10ft away. Thinking everything is over my riding partner told me to to regroup and hit it in. Open my 54, planned my shot on how a Pro would play it. Like the highlight reels I hit it 8ft high and drop it just over the fringe and it rolls in like I actually know what I am doing(For bogey). Ended up tied for 2nd, used my pitching wedge 110 in and made 5 1 putt pars in a row. Great grinding thanks to that club.

I have used the flop shot once in the past 6 weeks. Executed with a 54* wedge with no issues.

I use it any chance I get,but that isn't often. Usually only comes into play if a bunker or some other obstacle is between me and the pin.

@bigtazzGOLF
Sent from Big Orange country
using Tapatalk #GoVols

Yes, but only when called for. Short sided over bunker or other obstruction to a tight pin. Maybe once a round at most.

I love to open my 60 up to the sky and throw it in the air - make sure I hit at least 50 shots over the bunker to tight flags on the practise range every week, has saved me on the course many a time.

I have utilized this shot a few times on the course with mixed results. I always proceed the shot with a warning to my playing partners cause I know how much a bladed ball hurts

I will hit a flop when I have no other choice and the lie is right. It's a fun shot to practice but takes some fortitude to play on the course.

I rarely ever use it on the golf course. I will mess around with it at the range, but I am not comfortable opening the blade up that much.

Not to mention, I dont want to see it go screaming across the green!

Rarely, if ever. I use my 60* for high pitches when I have very little green to work with or I am hitting over a bunker and need little roll out. I never open it up all the way and take a full swing hoping to have it flop. I play with a couple people regularly who always seem to find a way to do flop shots every round, except their success rate is extremely slim and they could have put themselves in a MUCH better position with a different shot.

If the situation occurs where the shot can be useful I try my best to channel Lefty and hit that flop shot. I'm usually about 75% successful in the execution

Love the flop shot and can generally execute it pretty well, however it all comes down to the lie. If it's down I won't give the flop a moment of thought.

I think I've hit a flop shot on course this year twice, but only when it meant absolutely nothing and just did it to do it. Both times were on the 18th hole, and one was a practice round recently in November/December, and the other was when we were playing a little match play and the match was already over. I can execute it fine, but it's not really a shot I look to unless absolutely necessary. Too much risk to do it when the shot matters.

I love to practice the flop shot but rarely play it due to lack of confidence. Only use the flop ifI don't have much green to work with and a bunker is in the way. I must say, since I have gotten a dog that loves to chase golf balls in the backyard, my flop has improved drastically. Practice makes perfect.

The Flop Shot - How Often Do You Use It?

I use it when I have to get it over trouble or in a thicker rough. I can and have used it from a tighter lie, but I've learned to keep the ball on the ground around the green when possible.

Last edited:
Try and stay away as much as I can. My success rate is pretty pathetic.

Still practice it, but since adding the 60˚ PM Grind, I haven't had to really use it on the course. Hit it once or twice goofing off, but usually just hit a standard pitch shot now.

Back