Why does playing with people who are better than you improve your game?

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
Is this indeed a real phenomenon? If it is, then how and why does it happen?

Just seeing how they approach the game. Seeing what shots they hit and then being able to ask them why they went with that shot.

It can happen. It doesn't mean it will happen. If they aren't a good fit for you (pace of play, attitude, personality) it might hurt your game instead.

​It makes me go back to the bag and put the driver away when I see them with a 3 wood on the tee.

For me its come down to two main things.
1. Playing with better players pushes me to become better and improve my game. I constantly want to be on top, so for me when I play with better players it makes me think about my game much more, and concentrate more on what I am doing and how I am playing. it helps me focus.
2. To watch how they play, I have learned a lot just from watching and playing with better golfers. from course management to executing a shot, to how to recover from the bad shots. To be able to see how a player with say a 2 handicap plays and approaches the game is different than how I would. And i don't think either is wrong but it is eye opening to see how they play and approach the game. It gives me more to think about and different options I might not have thought of.

i think its all just concentration. Seeing someone play well will motivate you to do the same. So you will take you time during shot selection, play whats most comfortable to you and not let your head get in the way

Just seeing how they approach the game. Seeing what shots they hit and then being able to ask them why they went with that shot.
Good point. Now, considering that none of us have the same game, would their approach necessarily improve ours. Let's say for instance, I play a round with Canadan. His game is much more developed than mine, so while it would be enlightening to hear what his thoughts are on a 180 yard carry over water to a green, it wouldn't actually improve my game since I couldn't hit the same club nor shot as him. Thoughts?

I don't think it always help but in most cases it can be a long term learnin situation even if you don't ask any questions. Watching their approach to the round, how they handle bad shots and how they play a recovery shot from the bad round. But just playing with them doesn't mean one will improve but that person could have a good round

Good point. Now, considering that none of us have the same game, would their approach necessarily improve ours. Let's say for instance, I play a round with Canadan. His game is much more developed than mine, so while it would be enlightening to hear what his thoughts are on a 180 yard carry over water to a green, it wouldn't actually improve my game since I couldn't hit the same club nor shot as him. Thoughts?

Not every shot is going to be relevant, but that doesn't mean that you can't gain anything from the round. Maybe you pick up something on course management, or maybe you pick up on club selection, or where to leave yourself on the green, etc. These are all types of things I look at when I'm playing with a golfer who is better than me. While I might not have the same yardages with my clubs as the better golfer, I think I can still learn from what they are doing.

Emart, good point as well. So, playing with the better players is a lesson, not necessarilty on the physical side, but the mental aspect.

I think part of it is wanting to keep up with them score wise so you might concentrate more or make smarter club selections. I think another part of it for me at least is the pressure to keep up with the better player. I'm someone who actually likes the pressure.

i think its all just concentration. Seeing someone play well will motivate you to do the same. So you will take you time during shot selection, play whats most comfortable to you and not let your head get in the way
Hmmmm....not let my head get in the way of my game. Well put.

I think part of it is wanting to keep up with them score wise so you might concentrate more or make smarter club selections. I think another part of it for me at least is the pressure to keep up with the better player. I'm someone who actually likes the pressure.
Sometimes that can backfire on me. Trying to stay level with a better player leads me to try to play their game, and not mine.

I've only played with a few low handicap/scratch players, but one thing I noticed is they always swing with a smooth tempo and well under control. If I could do that all the time, I would be much better off.

When you are playing with them, does that go through your head during the round? "Smooth tempo."?

Sometimes that can backfire on me. Trying to stay level with a better player leads me to try to play their game, and not mine.

When I started playing and as I got better I learned not to try and chase a player I'm with whether it's off the tee where they are longer than me or better than me. I couldn't keep up score with them but what I tried to do was minimize mistakes and limit bad shots after a bad shot. See below

Emart, good point as well. So, playing with the better players is a lesson, not necessarilty on the physical side, but the mental aspect.

course management is a big part of the game and the game is hard. Players of all abilities are going to hit bad shots. Good players are going to recover better than a bad player. Knowing what shot to play when in trouble can eliminate strikes. I enjoy watching better players maneuver around the course

When you are playing with them, does that go through your head during the round? "Smooth tempo."?
I'm always trying to swing smooth, but it's a lot easier for me to do when watching someone else do it rather than watching someone chop wood.

Would totally ignore his club selection, know your yardages. Watch how they play around the green, pretty sure Canadan loves his flop shot you might be better off not using his strategy. I think it comes down to people hate to suck and get killed so you end up concentrating more when playing with better players. Pretty much all mental

I'm always trying to swing smooth, but it's a lot easier for me to do when watching someone else do it rather than watching someone chop wood.
lol. i prefer the term "Kiling the snake".

I do find my "c'est la vie" approach does turn into a little more of the steely-eyed squint when I'm actually in the range of beating someone.

I play more less the same with the good and not so good. I just play.

I've certainty found this to be the case. If nothing else, it adds focus and makes you WANT to hit good shots.

You see these guys playing well and it makes you want it more. It makes you want to match their shot or even one up them. Simple as that.

At least that's been my experience.

That's a tough question. Most people I play with are better than me, sometimes it helps me, sometimes it doesn't. I find I tend to play better with strangers than my friends, or league partners. I hate to embarrass myself in front of new people so I typically play smarter, and maintain my tempo better. I also do a better job of keeping my mental game in check. I focus more on the shot in front of me than the shot I just screwed up, since I'm not re-hashing the mistakes I made I'm thinking about the next hole I'm going to play.

I do agree that I learn a lot from better players, especially course management type things, again it's not about hitting the same yardages, but watching their decisions about acceptable risk, and when to take your lumps and play it safe.

What I've learned from playing with better players is managing the mental side as well as course management. Basically when I can and should be aggressive and when I should play the safe shot and I've flubbed both plays.

When you get into a group of players who are better than you but go at the game differently bomb and gouge vs strategic you can learn a ton but that is only if your paying attention.

Not every shot is going to be relevant, but that doesn't mean that you can't gain anything from the round. Maybe you pick up something on course management, or maybe you pick up on club selection, or where to leave yourself on the green, etc. These are all types of things I look at when I'm playing with a golfer who is better than me. While I might not have the same yardages with my clubs as the better golfer, I think I can still learn from what they are doing.
Well put M9111.

Back