Solid Feeling Drivers made today or recently?

BluesManDan

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently bagged a Tour Edge Exotics Tour 10 Proto. My dad gave it to me, as its been sitting in his garage for awhile and he doesn't play it. He thought it might work for me. What a solid feeling driver!

Switched to it from a Cleveland XL 270, which had a very "tinky" feel to it (but a good driver). The TEE is VERY different feel-wise. The best comparison that comes to mind is the difference between hitting cavity-backs and a blade in the sweet spot - you know how that feels, right? The TEE really feels really good. But... the Tour 10 Proto is pretty long in tooth, about 10 years old, I guess... maybe that's not a terrible thing, but I tend to think that modern clubmakers have made a few strides in the way of technology. So...

I got to thinking... I'd kinda like a recent driver with that good solid feel. Who makes a solid feeling driver today, or has made one recently?

It sounds like you are looking for deep sound.
I would say Callaway Great Big Bertha and Cobra King LTD (more muted)

+1 for the Great Big Bertha

It sounds like you are looking for deep sound.
I would say Callaway Great Big Bertha and Cobra King LTD (more muted)

I wouldn't say it's the "sound" that I'm looking for, but the "feel". Maybe the two are related, but I'm not sure exactly how. I'll have to head over to a Dick's SG and try the GBB and King LTd. I wonder about the Nike Vapor Speed, too...

I find that sound and feel are one in the same for almost everyone. They're at least interconnected to some point

The Nike driver I'm using currently (Sasquatch) has a nice thwunk sound to it on well hit swings.
I wouldn't say it's the "sound" that I'm looking for, but the "feel". Maybe the two are related, but I'm not sure exactly how. I'll have to head over to a Dick's SG and try the GBB and King LTd. I wonder about the Nike Vapor Speed, too...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I don't think you can separate feel and sound as two separate and distinct characteristics. it's kinda like smell and taste. with no smell we taste less. similarly, much of feel is affected by sound.

I think the king ltd is one of the best feeling and sounding drivers I've hit in a very long time. I didn't care for the gbb, reminded me of the ping g30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Covert 2.0 feels a lot more solid than the X2HOT I had, the Nike head is 20grams heavier.
But as a fellow TEE player, almost nothing has that feel that they do. The r15 might be a good one to try out. I "feel" like you could really feel the weight in the bottom of the face that just induces a very solid hit. Almost like a 3w.

My Covert 2.0 feels a lot more solid than the X2HOT I had, the Nike head is 20grams heavier.
But as a fellow TEE player, almost nothing has that feel that they do. The r15 might be a good one to try out. I "feel" like you could really feel the weight in the bottom of the face that just induces a very solid hit. Almost like a 3w.

How many of the other TEE drivers have you hit? Do they all have that solid feel? If so, I could just get one of their more recent makes...

BluesDanMan,
There are a couple of THP Events in your neck of the woods this year.
THP will have a number of drivers on board as well as the FlightScope launch monitor to test out both on the range and get numbers and take to the course for on course action.

I have not as they can be hard to find for testing.

I am still as much in love with my Callaway 815 today as the day I got it. Something about that driver and I really click. I would really recomend trying one out (or as others have mentioned its replacement the 816 or GBB), but the 815's can be found for quite a deal these days.

good luck and hope you find something that works for you as good as my 815 does for me!

I recently bagged a Tour Edge Exotics Tour 10 Proto. My dad gave it to me, as its been sitting in his garage for awhile and he doesn't play it. He thought it might work for me. What a solid feeling driver!

Switched to it from a Cleveland XL 270, which had a very "tinky" feel to it (but a good driver). The TEE is VERY different feel-wise. The best comparison that comes to mind is the difference between hitting cavity-backs and a blade in the sweet spot - you know how that feels, right? The TEE really feels really good. But... the Tour 10 Proto is pretty long in tooth, about 10 years old, I guess... maybe that's not a terrible thing, but I tend to think that modern clubmakers have made a few strides in the way of technology. So...

I got to thinking... I'd kinda like a recent driver with that good solid feel. Who makes a solid feeling driver today, or has made one recently?

I've tested a lot of the recent drivers pretty extensively but my results don't always mirror some of the other THPers in here. I experienced a similar 'solidness' with the one TEE I've tested (XCG7b). If you have a typical impact location and typical miss to me maybe I can help thin the herd a bit? CHS about 90, a +3 to +4 AoA, typical impact = center/low, most common miss = even lower. Other recent drivers that provided a more solid feel (for me) include: SLDR, R15 both weights center, M1 center and neutral to forward, Bio+, Fly Z+ weight fwd, Miz850jpx both weights center, '14BBA core down, 815DBD core down.

I honestly love my XR and its one the most solid driver I've ever gamed.

When I hit my 816 DBD flush it feels solid. I just wish I would do that more often.

This one!

Attachments

• sldr c sole.jpg
    sldr c sole.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
BluesDanMan,
There are a couple of THP Events in your neck of the woods this year.
THP will have a number of drivers on board as well as the FlightScope launch monitor to test out both on the range and get numbers and take to the course for on course action.

What/when/where are these events? Is there a link to the info?

What/when/where are these events? Is there a link to the info?

Full schedule is not out yet, but here is the calendar that gets update almost daily.

Great Big Bertha is one of the best sounding drivers off the tee I've hit. Nice muted sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full schedule is not out yet, but here is the calendar that gets update almost daily.

Here where?

Back