THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I'd love the opportunity, but no, it won't be me. My focus is making the team and then if by chance on the team my focus will be on handling my business and supporting the captain to get the win. Not MVP material... just a grinder.

Hey - I sell those - looking for one lol?!

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77291

This COULD be you! But WILL it be you? Why you over one of your Teammates?
Will it be me? Well, I'll be on the winning team so that up's my chances :silly:. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I'll put forth the effort, but beyond that it's out of my hands. There will be seven other worthy teammates and I'd be happy to see any of them earn the honor.

I said we have something called Regional Rivalry (which was pitched to another large OEM, and they said "It doesnt move the needle" ...
We're just getting started and it's already off the charts. Ah well, their loss! True Temper is an excellent host.

Last edited:
I am more excited for this event than any on the THP calendar next year. Really looking forward to the battle and really hoping I am one of the handful that is selected to rep the DMV!

Awesome.
I get your Grandaddy entry then.
No take backs!

Awesome.
I get your Grandaddy entry then.
No take backs!

HAHA! I knew that would be coming soon. You know what... you can take my Grandaddy entry man. You freaking deserve it.

Its pretty ****ing awesome.
I dont know though, #TheHandCraftedExperience is still True Temper
That was on a whole different level..but techincally wasn't it over a couple days?

it's really hard to call any of the events the best ever, as they all offer something unique to themselves that no other trip can provide. I mean come on creating and rolling your own shaft. I still tell people that guys from here got to do that, and they don't believe me. They are like, "you mean they got to watch them being made right?"....Ha they just don't know.

Grinder selling aside (I have seen it all on THP now ha)

Curious what all you guys feel about giving or receiving pops?

How do you deal with giving them to a person or a team?

Do you approach a hole any different if you are giving a stroke?

And if you expect to get them how do you take advantage of them?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Curious what all you guys feel about giving or receiving pops? I'm excited to be getting them. A bit disappointed that with my handicap lowering, I'm going to be losing a few. :silly:

How do you deal with giving them to a person or a team? Not sure. I've never played match play before. I wouldn't sweat it though. If it's only a couple, it's going to be on the tougher holes and statistically speaking higher handicaps are going to struggle on those holes. That's something I need to remember as well ... these are generally the holes I could net an "other" so I need to be on the ball and not allow that to happen. Keeping the ball in front of me and not taking anything worse than a double is key.

Probably not. Just play solid, steady golf and force your opponent to overreach and implode.

And if you expect to get them how do you take advantage of them? Like if I was giving them. Play solid steady golf. Play to my strengths and no hero shots. I'm a bogey golfer, so netting a par on the tougher holes of the course would be a win for me. If my opponent comes up with a birdie, they earned it.

Which format do you think your game excels in the most, and why?

I always did like alternate shot format. It kind of puts a little more pressure on you to come through in the clutch. Your buddy stripes one down the middle, may make you concentrate just a bit more to put the next one on to give your partner a shot at birdie. Or knowing that you have your partners back if he happens to duff one ... "No worries ... I'll stick the next one. Let's keep grinding." I've always liked Captain's choice formats though (probably because it's the most played). Getting four shots at a putt .. someone is bound to make it. I like coming in with a 57 or 58 at the end of the day! While other groups are saying "No way they shot that with THAT guy in the group!" LOL

I've not yet been faced with that situation, though hopefully that will change here in a couple weeks (getting 5 per side, right 'Nut?).

I guess my most honest answer would be to simply assume I'm playing straight up and play the best that I can, and let things fall where they may. There's enough mental to golf as it is, no need to clutter your mind with even more things to think about.

Great minds cause that was my next set of questions brother!

Ok some of you have yet to play in an offiicial THP Event. So here's the 1st hole at Royal New Kent, looking at this how would you play your tee shot, what club, what shape, fade draw, worm burner, stinger..etc.

Let's assume its the White Tees.

Me I'm probably hitting driver, with a bit of a fade, and if all goes well, I'll be to the right of that mound and hopefully far enough way from it that I will have a clear shot to the green. I'm guessing if I have my usual 220 drive, I'll have about 140 to 150 in for the 2nd shot.

hole1.jpg

If I'm there it will be my first event, so I will probably be a little jumpy. It will honestly depend on how I was hitting it on the range. I could use driver, 4 wood, or 7 wood. Might even go 4 hybrid my fairway finder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had to give pops in match play as the two times I played it my partner was pretty much the same HDCP as me, but it would be interesting. I don't think I would approach the task at hand any differently, I'd just stick to my strengths and be aggressive when an opportunity arises.

Ok some of you have yet to play in an offiicial THP Event. So here's the 1st hole at Royal New Kent, looking at this how would you play your tee shot, what club, what shape, fade draw, worm burner, stinger..etc.

Let's assume its the White Tees.

Me I'm probably hitting driver, with a bit of a fade, and if all goes well, I'll be to the right of that mound and hopefully far enough way from it that I will have a clear shot to the green. I'm guessing if I have my usual 220 drive, I'll have about 140 to 150 in for the 2nd shot.

hole1.jpg

Let the Big Dog Eat! Pull the big stick, straight over the mound, inside 100 yards, birdie the 1st. Done it before ... I can do it again!

#insync I know we have had some discussions on it in the past so I will be curious what others think of it

New Avatar?

cd-nsync-nsync-lacrado-13772-MLB2677008879_052012-F.jpg

I've not yet been faced with that situation, though hopefully that will change here in a couple weeks (getting 5 per side, right 'Nut?).

I guess my most honest answer would be to simply assume I'm playing straight up and play the best that I can, and let things fall where they may. There's enough mental to golf as it is, no need to clutter your mind with even more things to think about.

Uhh ... 3 is generous enough I think!

Giving pops ... IMO, it puts a lot more pressure on you. In your head you think you have to at least par the hole to have a chance. But it can play out differently depending on how the hole plays out. He could be in trouble off the tee, which could make you play conservative. So I don't let it bother me ... play each hole the same and let the chips fall as they may.
If you are honest with yourself and your game, you know what you are capable of. So getting or giving Pops shouldn't really matter. Now on the rare instance that I do get them, I won't put too much pressure on myself ... it normally makes me relax more knowing that I get a shot on that hole so I don't need to be as aggressive as I normally would.

**Wether I'm giving or receiving it is still up to me to play golf. If I play the way I know I can play I will do well no matter what

**Same as above, just play golf. Just play my game and let the strokes fall where they may

**Not at all. Just try to par the hole and if they beat me with a net birdie then so be it. I try not to let anything get in my head while playing

**I will think a little more on holes that I receive them. So if I am in a bit of trouble I tell myself just to punch out because a bogey is still a par. The only thing I can't let myself do is lose the holes that I pop on

I'd rather play without Pops but sometimes the gap in talent takes the fun out of the competition. As a 10 handicap (at my home course) I think anyone between a 7- 13 ought to be able to play without stokes but I obviously can't really compete with a plus handicap. I will try and I will have fun but the + person probably isn't going to stay very motivated.

I know it has been said before but I am going to say it again I know we are opponents on the course and my trash talk won't stop but it is going to be an honor to share this event with the DMV guys. As we post in this thread I realize just how great all the guys in both regions are. I have shared some great times with the DMV guys played some great golf and some bad golf but every time has been a good time.

The Carolina boys will be ready for battle just as I know you guys will be as well. Let's push the limits and show the rest of THP and everyone this touches just what these regions are about and the quality of golf that is played here (which I am bias but I think it is some of the best in the country)

I was happy you were selected capt. Lots if good dudes in Carolina to choose from but JB did good here. I like some trash talk and #nobutthurt here. I know both teams will be ready and it will be a pleasure squaring off against you guys.

Its pretty ****ing awesome.
I dont know though, #TheHandCraftedExperience is still True Temper

that one is pretty sweet and will bet this year is even better.

Curious what all you guys feel about giving or receiving pops? It's golf and everyone has different games so pops are just part of it. I have gotten them and taken advantage or them and other times waste them.

How do you deal with giving them to a person or a team? Same as above. It's part of the game and it all evens out usually and if a guy is getting pops and has a good day that's the rub of the green.

Do you approach a hole any different if you are giving a stroke? I don't because if I get to aggressive trying to make up that pop I could make it worse for me and play into losing

And if you expect to get them how do you take advantage of them? I don't change my game. I let the hole play out and see what happens.

I don't often get pops, but have given them on plenty of occasions. It doesn't bother me to give them, and it really doesn't change my approach to a hole. The situation will dictate how I play the hole, pops can factor into being aggressive or not. When I do get them, I find myself being less aggressive, which changes my game. I'm going to work on playing smart aggressive this spring.

Curious what all you guys feel about giving or receiving pops? I've never really played getting strokes. Most of the guys I play with have similar games so we play straight up, but to level the field I have no problem giving or receiving strokes.

How do you deal with giving them to a person or a team? If you know going in, what you're giving up, you talk about it as a team and define any strategies.

Do you approach a hole any different if you are giving a stroke? Just play my game and don't try anything I haven't practiced.

And if you expect to get them how do you take advantage of them? Just know on that particular hole you don't have to be too aggressive and get yourself in trouble, just tell yourself you are up a stroke already.

Back