Coaching Opportunity...

Deaver

Reaction score
Handicap
Swing
So I have been playing golf, on and off, since the late 90's. I haven't attempted to really play golf until about 2 or 3 years ago. I know you folks struggle to understand, but I love it :drinks:. I am a new teacher in a very small school district and they are in need of a girls golf coach. The guys coach is new too, he's a new ast basketball coach that was quasi forced to coach golf. I've been told the AD would like to speak with me because he knows I play. While I love the game, I'm a high handicapper still with no idea how to coach golf. So I guess my question would be, 1. should I take it/volunteer to coach? 2. If so, where would I even begin? I'm afraid if they don't have a coach they'll just cancel to golf program all together. I commute to my campus everyday, 45 minutes each way.

I couldn't find another post similar to this so I hope I'm not jamming the board nor placing this in the wrong spot.

I'm new to golf and couldn't imagine being a coach when I feel I still have so much I need to learn myself. That said, having someone who plays and loves the game is better than getting stuck with someone who doesn't care at all but just wants the extra pay or even worse yet, shutting down the program altogether.

If you're willing to put in the work I'd bet you would be better than you give yourself credit for, but only you would know if you are willing to invest the time.

Good luck either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume this is high school and I guess since you're in Texas football is the big sport. Girls golf is more or less an afterthought and they have it because Title IX says they have to have it because there are girls that want it. The rules say it has to have a coach. You're it.

Some of the girls are going to be better golfers than you and will probably understand the game better. You may even have one girl who could be headed to a Div I or Div II college. Here's what I'd do. Coaching is about understanding strategy. Learn it.

http://www.amazon.com/Coaching-Golf-Successfully-Series/dp/0736033912

And this book I found to be a gold mine regarding strategy around the course.... http://lowestscorewins.com/

A lot of books and stuff will tell people to focus on the short game because that's where 70% of ones strokes are made. I had a discussion with the head pro at our local driving range who was "work on your short game......" and when I finally pinned him down on where most strokes are lost by amateur golfers, they were not on or around the green. They were full swing shots: tee shots and approach shots from 100 - 140 yds.

A good short game can bail out a mediocre long game some times, but if a player can't get off the tee well, they're dead on that hole. We know this from our own games. You'll have to learn how to structure successful practice sessions with your squad. 65% long game and approach shots. 20% short game. 15% putting is a typical breakdown. Then there are 9 hole practice rounds. And there will be parents involved.

There are things a coach can do during a match and things a coach cannot do during a match. Make sure you know what those are. You also need to know the rules of golf and the decisions because your players need to know them. There are resources available from the USGA and from your school district's league. There's an app available for your phone from the USGA for the rules of golf. It has the decisions too.

What you decide to do is up to you. See if there are any golf coaching seminars you can get the district to send you to if you decide to do this.

Paging Jman...

Have you coached before at any level, any sport?

I think a differentiating point would be this: are you the coach (ie, setting up practice schedules, setting lineups, getting them ready to compete) or are you their instructor? If the former I think it's very doable, especially if you have some other coaching experience. If the latter, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Is Phil Jackson a very good basketball player? I don't know. You could give it a shot. Nothing matters and no one can and will say a thing if your team wins.

Is Phil Jackson a very good basketball player? I don't know. You could give it a shot. Nothing matters and no one can and will say a thing if your team wins.

Actually, Phil was a pretty good basketball player for the Knicks in the 70's. That said, lot's of good & great coaches in many sports weren't players. I'd agree that the organization, strategy and getting players to be a team are things that require good coaching skills and have an impact. Relative to swing/technique, I think you'll have to see where the players are in their development. Some may have coaches. Some may need some help on their swing. For the latter, perhaps there is a local pro who would be willing to put in a little time?

I agree with InTheRough, learn the rules and strategies and different formats. As for the skills that the girls will need, solution: the course where you'll be practicing has a head/asst pro. Try and enlist some time from them out on the range. Explain to them your situation and you don't want the girls to go without the opportunity etc..

I'm going to make this post from the context of someone who not only went to a very small school (my graduating class had 39 people), but also still lives in that community. I wouldn't worry about being a high handicapper. Golf pros aren't abundantly available to be a coach, otherwise, there wouldn't be a golf coach vacancy at your school. I've seen good coaches and bad coaches here. If you teach the kids etiquette and responsibility, you will be far ahead of many small school golf coaches. If you are there everyday, you will be far ahead of other small school coaches.

There was once a coach where I lived who coached via text message, and was never at practice. She literally, by text, told the team she wouldn't be at practice because she had to get her nails done. Thank goodness that was her last year here.

Now again, I'm not trying to say anything about girls, but in a small district, I find that the girls golf team tends to be girls who are just after activity points. Still, it is not hard for them to have fun while doing it. In my observations, if you teach those girls how to chip and pitch (think 20 yards and closer from the edge of the green) then you will save them about 1-3 strokes per HOLE.

If you are going to do it, I don't know what Texas is like, but get your coaching certificate. And finally, don't be afraid to talk to your local golf pro about some simple drills/games to use during practice. I know our only golf pro in the area has always been happy to provide drills to other HS golf coaches in the area.

~Rock

If it's about finding ANYONE to coach, and it's something you think you'd enjoy experiencing, I say go for it until a better option (in your opinion) becomes a viable option.

I also don't think it has to be about being good at the sport to be an effective coach. Golf is so mentally demanding that you could focus more on teaching the mental aspect, and I think the girls would still get an awful lot out of the experience.

Do what you think is right, and if that means being excited about the idea of helping these girls play this great sport, then go for it!

Say you need a TrackMan or GC2 system and some slow mo cameras...that way you at least get some decent equipment to use yourself.

I assume this is high school and I guess since you're in Texas football is the big sport. Girls golf is more or less an afterthought and they have it because Title IX says they have to have it because there are girls that want it. The rules say it has to have a coach. You're it.

Some of the girls are going to be better golfers than you and will probably understand the game better. You may even have one girl who could be headed to a Div I or Div II college. Here's what I'd do. Coaching is about understanding strategy. Learn it.

http://www.amazon.com/Coaching-Golf-Successfully-Series/dp/0736033912

And this book I found to be a gold mine regarding strategy around the course.... http://lowestscorewins.com/

A lot of books and stuff will tell people to focus on the short game because that's where 70% of ones strokes are made. I had a discussion with the head pro at our local driving range who was "work on your short game......" and when I finally pinned him down on where most strokes are lost by amateur golfers, they were not on or around the green. They were full swing shots: tee shots and approach shots from 100 - 140 yds.

A good short game can bail out a mediocre long game some times, but if a player can't get off the tee well, they're dead on that hole. We know this from our own games. You'll have to learn how to structure successful practice sessions with your squad. 65% long game and approach shots. 20% short game. 15% putting is a typical breakdown. Then there are 9 hole practice rounds. And there will be parents involved.

There are things a coach can do during a match and things a coach cannot do during a match. Make sure you know what those are. You also need to know the rules of golf and the decisions because your players need to know them. There are resources available from the USGA and from your school district's league. There's an app available for your phone from the USGA for the rules of golf. It has the decisions too.

What you decide to do is up to you. See if there are any golf coaching seminars you can get the district to send you to if you decide to do this.

Thank you for your input and the links. These will help greatly. Yes, football is the state game, this town revolves around basketball so it is an afterthought. I want to keep it going because my sister and my nieces love to play and I hope somebody would allow them the opportunity if it came down to it. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Hey Josh! Here's my take. 1st and foremost, is the Mrs. ok with this? Let's be honest, this is going to take up some family time with this commitment. Granted, it's the fall, but you still won't be getting more until a lot later than normal. As for Coaching, Coaching golf in high school is more about organization than anything else. You have a small window of practice time and you need to evaluate the talent level during that time. How "good" is the team? Are they good, good or are you just fielding a team and they are just out to have something to do after school? It might be best to get a feel of the team and what they expect before you really put a lot of heart into it. I'm not saying to half a$$ it, but if you have a few decent girls, it would be good to know which one of them are and IF they are actually wanting to take golf to the next level. I know when I was in H.S. our Coach knew there was 3 of us good enough to play in college, at least SOMEWHERE. So, he helped us find teams and put out feelers. With girls golf, it's crazy as there are a LOT of scholarships for girls golf that go unfilled each year! So, if you have a girl or two that can shoot in the 80's pretty often, then you might see if they would be interested. Especially in Texas.
As for practice, let's be honest...no one LIKES to practice their short game, but that's where most can improve their scoring. So, I'd work on fundamentals with them. Maybe seed half of them out to play holes 1-3 while the other half practice their short game, then switch. Then the next day, have them just play 9 holes, then the next day, Match them up and have them do some Match Play against each other. You have to make it fun, that's the key with this generation.

Paging Jman...

Have you coached before at any level, any sport?

I think a differentiating point would be this: are you the coach (ie, setting up practice schedules, setting lineups, getting them ready to compete) or are you their instructor? If the former I think it's very doable, especially if you have some other coaching experience. If the latter, I'm not sure.

I know I'd be more of a facilitator/answer man. I've spoken with the ast manager here at the local club and she is going to put me in touch with the pro. Hope to work something out with him on swing and I'll setup the practices. This is of course, after I speak with the AD. Appreciate it

Hey Josh! Here's my take. 1st and foremost, is the Mrs. ok with this? Let's be honest, this is going to take up some family time with this commitment. Granted, it's the fall, but you still won't be getting more until a lot later than normal. As for Coaching, Coaching golf in high school is more about organization than anything else. You have a small window of practice time and you need to evaluate the talent level during that time. How "good" is the team? Are they good, good or are you just fielding a team and they are just out to have something to do after school? It might be best to get a feel of the team and what they expect before you really put a lot of heart into it. I'm not saying to half a$$ it, but if you have a few decent girls, it would be good to know which one of them are and IF they are actually wanting to take golf to the next level. I know when I was in H.S. our Coach knew there was 3 of us good enough to play in college, at least SOMEWHERE. So, he helped us find teams and put out feelers. With girls golf, it's crazy as there are a LOT of scholarships for girls golf that go unfilled each year! So, if you have a girl or two that can shoot in the 80's pretty often, then you might see if they would be interested. Especially in Texas.
As for practice, let's be honest...no one LIKES to practice their short game, but that's where most can improve their scoring. So, I'd work on fundamentals with them. Maybe seed half of them out to play holes 1-3 while the other half practice their short game, then switch. Then the next day, have them just play 9 holes, then the next day, Match them up and have them do some Match Play against each other. You have to make it fun, that's the key with this generation.

Appreciate it man. I know I've brought the idea up with my wife. She seems ok with it. We'll discuss it at greater length before any actual decision is made. I speak with the AD today just in general terms and we'll go from there. I've been looking at my own practice which sticks mainly with 100 - 150 yds to the bottom of the cup and a lot of free time chipping and putting. Either way, I'm excited to play and be around more golf. Thanks again man!

I know I'd be more of a facilitator/answer man. I've spoken with the ast manager here at the local club and she is going to put me in touch with the pro. Hope to work something out with him on swing and I'll setup the practices. This is of course, after I speak with the AD. Appreciate it
Good for you! It can make you want to pull your hair out at times, but coaching can also be massively rewarding.

Yes you take the position if you can. Just because you are a higher cap does not mean you cant teach/coach these girls. Teach them about the game, course management, etiquette, etc. Teach them to fall in love with the game and make sure they have fun. If any of the girls is very serious about golf they most likely have had some instruction before and/or are getting lessons. Reach out to your local course pro and see if they would want to do "guest speak" at one of your practices. Hell video them and see if Freddie can help (if he would).

Don't pass up on this chance, you will enjoy doing this.

Roy Williams (UNC basketball coach ) only played a couple of years of JV basketball in college. He has been very successful as a coach. You don't have to be a great instructor, just be there to guide and help. I am sure that there is someone around who would be willing to help, just doesn't have the time to be "the coach ". Post some videos on here and someone will help.

Spoke to the AD and the coaching spot has been filled. Another new coach was voluntold to do it. I let him know I'd be willing to help in any way I can.

Maybe this is for the best? You can help/be an assistant coach which gives you some exposure to the experience.

Back