A club fitting problem

jnug

Reaction score
Man I am so angry at myself. I had suffered a slipped disc several days ago but had decided to keep my appointment for a driver shaft fitting today. While the disc has recovered enough to get me through it and allow for enough effective swings to get it done, I have a real problem that I have got to resolve or at least would like to somehow.

I am claustrophobic. While I rarely find myself in a situation where it matters, I simply cannot swing a golf club in the confined space of an indoor cage. Even if there is no cage, I simply cannot get myself to accept the fact that there is plenty of room between me with club in hand and the walls and ceiling, certainly enough room to swing the club without concern for the actual size of the space. Granted these are not huge spaces but I am only 5’6”. The room the equipment is in looks like a shoebox about 12’ x 18’ x 10’ The ceiling height maybe more like 12’. I have some 12’ ceilings in my house and these just don’t look as high when I look at them and I really don’t think I am unable to gauge their height when looking at them. Heck it really does not matter anyway because the whole thing has nothing to do with the actual height of the ceilings. Although, I am confident that if I was inside something like an indoor tennis facility I would be OK with that. As it is in a room of these dimensions I don’t take the club back the right way and I flatten out my swing to such a ridiculous extent that it is not even my swing anymore.

I was so put off today that I could not even swing from the shoulders. As such I was a mess. I was in such a bad position at the transition that there was hardly anything to turn. I could not get my brain to function which is not to say that I was absorbed by the problem in the sense of thinking about it. I could not think about anything. I was completely locked up and I babbled endlessly much like I did when I was fitted for my irons. It is the weirdest feeling. I am so angry with myself because I believe in the club fitting experience and I want to provide the best or at least most relevant data points possible. I know I have the problem but I just seem to be helpless in the face of it. Before going in I thought that it would not be worse with driver than with irons as the whole damn thing is not based in fact anyway. However as illogical as it seems the longer shaft of the driver made it even worse trying to swing the thing.

I suppose I could try to find someone that fits outdoors but I thought I would ask if anybody has had the problem and has confronted it successfully or knows of a way to deal with it. If the only issue was practicing indoors I could handle not being able to do that. But screwing up one of the neater things that you can do in the game really bothers me. The fact that it defeats me so handily really bothers me. Anyway if anybody has an idea how to confront this with more success I would be very interested to hear it.

Man, that must be frustrating. I feel for you.

I think your first idea is probably best: find someone who does outdoor fittings.

But barring that, you have to find a way to relax. What you experienced has happened to me to a degree in a cramped hitting bay at a driving range. It looked too small for my swing, so I exaggerated my swing turn and follow through for a couple swings to gain confidence that it was going to be impossible for me to hit the pillars.

So what I would try next time you are in a similar situation, is during warm ups, before the actual fitting, I would set up, and take the biggest, widest, backswing your body will allow, and the longest, widest, highest follow through after hitting the ball. When you successfully swing this way a few times without hitting anything, hopefully it will relax you when you continue on with your regular swing (which is more compact than the warm up swing) knowing it is impossible for you to hit the wall or ceiling. And then pick a single simple swing thought. For example, just focus on the ball, all thoughts going towards hitting the exact center of the ball with the exact center of your club.

I tend to get cramped in my swing if I'm in a tight spot. It happens when I hit shots with anything over me (be it a roof or a tree), but it's not as bad as it used to be.

Essentially.......a lot of practice.

1) There's a tree in the short game practice area. Besides being nice shade, I'll hit pitches from there.

2) I leave one of my old lob wedges I don't care about at home and practice with it in my living room. It's not going to be the prettiest for your carpet and can DEFINITELY be a double edged sword if you're not conscious....but it's helped.

3) May or may not apply, but realize that it's not your club that you're swinging. At least that helps a ton when I'm at the indoor range @ Golfsmith lol.

hey jnug, i hate hitting in those indoor simulators too. it's just not natural for me. i agree with golf4life...look to find a place that can do outdoor fittings. it may take a little more research, but there are places out there.

Thanks guys. You are all likely correct. I am going to give this another try indoors in a few weeks, if for no other reason than giving up is not a healthy approach. I have to make a concerted effort that goes beyond hoping it will work out next time. One aspect of this that I should have noted is that while I cannot track accurately whether or not each swing is worse than the last or more restricted than the last my swings at the end are worse than those at the start. I get more and more restricted to the point where it becomes an effort to even get my shoulders to move. Heck ultimately I can’t even get the parts that should not be very active to budge. This time, 10- 15 swings and I felt like I was getting very close to shutting down completely.

not trying to rub it in, but this is one of the things that is so valuable about the THP outing. not only do you get to demo clubs without a sales rep or sales person, you get to do it outdoors, with a launch monitor, and with a golf tec certified fitter in andy!!!

i hope you can kick the problems jnug!

Not taken the wrong way at all TC. Know you wouldn't do that anyway. I probably should have given more thought to going. Then again had I commited I would now be fretting over this stupid slipped disc, not so much because of the golfing. If I made it there OK I could probably play a little if I took care since I am well into healing. But at least in my case, if my back is tender and still healing like it is now, flying turns out to be something that can really be a problem. Those fifty foot turbulance drops can really get you and you don't have any control over them. One minute you are fine and the next you are preparing for another seven days of agony.

Not taken the wrong way at all TC. Know you wouldn't do that anyway. I probably should have given more thought to going. Then again had I commited I would now be fretting over this stupid slipped disc, not so much because of the golfing. If I made it there OK I could probably play a little if I took care since I am well into healing. But at least in my case, if my back is tender and still healing like it is now, flying turns out to be something that can really be a problem. Those fifty foot turbulance drops can really get you and you don't have any control over them. One minute you are fine and the next you are preparing for another seven days of agony.

yeah, i hear that man....i hate that you are having some disc issues, i have a good friend going through that now and his golf has certainly taken a back seat. best of luck to you.

make sure you hit some short- or mid-irons before you start swinging the driver. I used to have the same problem indoors or on cramped driving ranges -- I just could not swing freely -- eventually I found that it was easier if I worked up to the longer clubs.

I am the same way. I can not hit in even a covered stall at a range. Not even a little, if I head to the range and it starts raining then I practice in the rain because trying to shoot in the covered stalls are so unproductive for me. Im 6' 1" with a longish driver and even if I know my club Can Not reach the pillar I still know its there...lurking....watching me....waiting to move closer when I am not looking. Seriously so just can't do it.

Back