YouTube - Mark Crossfield

Just got done filming our game golf lesson with Mark and coach Lockey. Awesome guys, and very simple, helpful tips. Can't wait to see it uploaded to YouTube

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

nice dude. Can't wait to see it. I bet it was a blast. How did that happen again?

I think Mark and Rick Shiel's are fun to watch whether you agree with them or not!

We passed Rick Shiels at the show. I told MWard to go ask him if people post links to our reviews in the comments section of his reviews hehe
Actually I will check him and Crossfield out from time to time. It's fun to see if I've had a club to see if their thoughts are similar or completely different. He puts a heck of a move on the ball.

I follow both of them. Never understood why there isn't that type of club testing in the States. I don't buy anything with seeing if the tested it. Wish they would do the Wilson C200 irons.

I follow both of them. Never understood why there isn't that type of club testing in the States. I don't buy anything with seeing if the tested it. Wish they would do the Wilson C200 irons.

Lots of testing and reviews by THP staff and THP member and lots of opportunities for members here to get equipment for testing. See Cobra King of the month, UST Mamiya, Club Clash, Grandaddy to name a few. Real reviews by regular golfers

YouTube - Mark Crossfield

Agree...Same with Bridgestone. I know THP does a great job in their reviews but I like the video...in addition to the written review

Crossfield is probably my favorite YouTube golf channel. I like him for the course vlogs more than anything.

Crossfield is probably my favorite YouTube golf channel. I like him for the course vlogs more than anything.

Agree...it would be awesome if THP did some full course vlogs.

nice dude. Can't wait to see it. I bet it was a blast. How did that happen again?

We passed Rick Shiels at the show. I told MWard to go ask him if people post links to our reviews in the comments section of his reviews hehe
Actually I will check him and Crossfield out from time to time. It's fun to see if I've had a club to see if their thoughts are similar or completely different. He puts a heck of a move on the ball.
Win a contest on Twitter. Retweeted something for an entry

That's cool. Can't wait to watch

Good for you for winning. Did the lesson help?

Crossfield is alright. I much prefer to watch Rick Shiels and Peter Finch. These UK guys are a hoot. I also enjoy Me and My Golf.

Lots of good coverage in the live update threads that usually have some videos and cool pics.

I love the live updates, especially during various callouts. What I am suggesting is a true vlog. Even if it comes out a week or so later. I would love to watch the Kentwool event...a few matches here and there on YouTube....I may try something at club clash to see how easy/hard it actually is.

I really enjoy the course vlogs from Mark. I think the biggest improvement he helped me achieve was to relax and have fun on the course. My game stepped up a notch last year when I started lowering my expectations and focused more on enjoying the experience.

I love the live updates, especially during various callouts. What I am suggesting is a true vlog. Even if it comes out a week or so later. I would love to watch the Kentwool event...a few matches here and there on YouTube....I may try something at club clash to see how easy/hard it actually is.

Just need a good camera, some interesting personalities, and a lot of time to edit!

The course blogs they do take 6+ hours to film. They go to each persons balls, comment on the shot, hit the ball, go to the other persons ball and samething. Then go to the next shot rinse and repeat. That's not even something remotely possible to do with a foursome in a THP event.

I get the time...that is why I'd film the drives and putts and some extraneous stuff if possible in between...the true vlog idea would be more of something JB would do...like play the course prior to the event.

Just got done filming our game golf lesson with Mark and coach Lockey. Awesome guys, and very simple, helpful tips. Can't wait to see it uploaded to YouTube

You were the guy they went out to Vegas to see? Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the vid.

Alright, so like I said, I got picked out of a lineup of people who retweeted an entry to get a lesson from Mark courtesy of Game Golf. You can watch that video here, I think the entry portion starts around the 20 minute point.

Luck would have it, I was out of town and not paying much attention to my phone (this is how it always goes when I win contests), so I eventually got an e-mail from Dave Price, one of the marketing guys at Game Golf asking me to give him a call and let him know if I'd be able to make it happen. We hammered out some details in terms of flights and whatnot, and I got a budget from my wife.

Flew into Vegas Saturday. Dave had gotten held up at the PGA show and wouldn't make it in until late, I discovered, so I ended up having the night to myself, with a room at the Mandalay Bay to myself. Went to the Irish bar, had a couple of drinks, watched the UFC card, and made an early night of it (I can make a night to myself in Las Vegas impossibly boring.)

Sunday I met up with Brandon, the other contest winner, at the hotel prior to meeting up with Dave, who as it turns out is as irrepressibly energetic in person as he sounds over the phone -- he referred to it as still running on PGA show fuel. From there, we loaded up the Uber and headed to the course, TPC Summerlin, as it turned out. Beautiful course. There we met up with Mark and Matt Lockey, who collectively make up, effectively, the Mark Crossfield production team. We worked over some breakfast and went over some Game Golf stats to talk about what we wanted to improve. For me it was inside 100 yards and off the tee, and Mark decided it would be good to do a driver-centric lesson to couple with Brandon's work on iron approaches. Brandon plays to about a 4 and I play to about a 14, which did make for a good mix of skill levels. From there we headed out to the range to get some work in as some very foul weather was moving in (anyone who watched the Farmer's Insurance say the teeth of what would hit Las Vegas by the afternoon).

On the range we worked on measuring my iron shots and tendency to have my hands get way ahead of the club and generate almost no loft. It is funny how sometimes it can be easy to make a fix once you really have all the data in front of you. I was hitting my 7 iron with a very neutral face and path but at something like 18 degrees of dynamic loft. While that can be a necessary shot in Arizona to deal with wind, it's not functional long term and definitely affected my ability to hold a green. So from there I hit some shots with the simple thought of "Hit it higher." It did the trick, and within a few shots I was getting something like 22 degrees of dynamic loft and hitter higher, longer shots with a steeper descent angle and more spin, perfect for holding greens. From there Coach talked about this being something that good players can just do, say, "hit it higher" and adjust their swing accordingly. It was pretty heartening that I could do it within a few swings.

From there we moved onto driver, which I have a huge tendency to cut across the ball and hit either low, short but functional fades or the occasional high slice. We did a lot of work on fixing the path issue, and we were pretty successful at that, but there's still a ways to go in terms of getting the club pointed left. We did add some distance, but right now that swing is far more of a high push than something really functional. I headed to the range to keep working on it on my own while Mark worked with Brandon. I can say that I was able to really improve dynamic loft to hit a higher, longer fade, but I haven't quite figured out with swing right but point the club left part of hitting the high, bombing draw we were aiming for.

Once that was done we took to Summerlin's locker room to do some stuff where we talked about the Game Golf product and how we can use it to drive coaching and we rehashed the stuff we talked about during breakfast only this time with cameras rolling. Mostly it's Mark talking and me nodding and agreeing, which is fine with me. After doing a bit with myself and Brandon, we piled back into carts to go through some challenges on the course, Mark against Brandon on some approach work, and myself on a hole with trouble on the right to see if I could keep from going right. I did manage to keep one in play, but the other was that push-fade that went poorly. By that time the weather was getting worse, so instead of filming we just did a Periscope on Game Golf's account of a brief short game lesson. Once we were all thoroughly wet and cold, we headed in for some lunch and mostly just talked golf stuff. PGA pros Mark had worked with, how much they enjoy not talking about golf, how they were enjoying their trip to the southwest, etc.

I'll be following up with Game Golf and Mark in the next few weeks as we talk about applying the lessons on the course in my own time, which will either get rolled into this video or an additional one. Either way, this has been an amazing weekend, Mark is a genuinely good guy and a very good instructor, able to use the data to generate some simple swing thoughts that just work. Game Golf is an incredible company to be involved in, still rather small but with some great ideas on how to improve their product to improve coaching, social interaction, and self-improvement. Their new stuff is very cool, including grips with the GG tag already built in, and the new Live system allows in-game viewing of a player's stats, which I think would take things like a playing lesson to a whole new level. Dave is very excited about the future of their company, and that excitement is pretty contagious.

Here's the Periscope of the live lesson

And a tweet from Coach with some stills.

Last edited:
Alright, so like I said, I got picked out of a lineup of people who retweeted an entry to get a lesson from Mark courtesy of Game Golf. You can watch that video here, I think the entry portion starts around the 20 minute point.

Luck would have it, I was out of town and not paying much attention to my phone (this is how it always goes when I win contests), so I eventually got an e-mail from Dave Price, one of the marketing guys at Game Golf asking me to give him a call and let him know if I'd be able to make it happen. We hammered out some details in terms of flights and whatnot, and I got a budget from my wife.

Flew into Vegas Saturday. Dave had gotten held up at the PGA show and wouldn't make it in until late, I discovered, so I ended up having the night to myself, with a room at the Mandalay Bay to myself. Went to the Irish bar, had a couple of drinks, watched the UFC card, and made an early night of it (I can make a night to myself in Las Vegas impossibly boring.)

Sunday I met up with Brandon, the other contest winner, at the hotel prior to meeting up with Dave, who as it turns out is as irrepressibly energetic in person as he sounds over the phone -- he referred to it as still running on PGA show fuel. From there, we loaded up the Uber and headed to the course, TPC Summerlin, as it turned out. Beautiful course. There we met up with Mark and Matt Lockey, who collectively make up, effectively, the Mark Crossfield production team. We worked over some breakfast and went over some Game Golf stats to talk about what we wanted to improve. For me it was inside 100 yards and off the tee, and Mark decided it would be good to do a driver-centric lesson to couple with Brandon's work on iron approaches. Brandon plays to about a 4 and I play to about a 14, which did make for a good mix of skill levels. From there we headed out to the range to get some work in as some very foul weather was moving in (anyone who watched the Farmer's Insurance say the teeth of what would hit Las Vegas by the afternoon).

On the range we worked on increasing my iron shots and tendency to have my hands get way ahead of the club and generate almost no loft. It is funny how sometimes it can be easy to make a fix once you really have all the data in front of you. I was hitting my 7 iron with a very neutral face and path but at something like 18 degrees of dynamic loft. While that can be a necessary shot in Arizona to deal with wind, it's not functional long term and definitely affected my ability to hold a green. So from there I hit some shots with the simple thought of "Hit it higher." It did the trick, and within a few shots I was getting something like 22 degrees of dynamic loft and hitter higher, longer shots with a steeper descent angle and more spin, perfect for holding greens. From there Coach talked about this being something that good players can just do, say, "hit it higher" and adjust their swing accordingly. It was pretty heartening that I could do it within a few swings.

From there we moved onto driver, which I have a huge tendency to cut across the ball and hit either low, short but functional fades or the occasional high slice. We did a lot of work on fixing the path issue, and we were pretty successful at that, but there's still a ways to go in terms of getting the club pointed left. We did add some distance, but right now that swing is far more of a high push than something really functional. I headed to the range to keep working on it on my own while Mark worked with Brandon. I can say that I was able to really improve dynamic loft to hit a higher, longer fade, but I haven't quite figured out with swing right but point the club left part of hitting the high, bombing draw we were aiming for.

Once that was done we took to Summerlin's locker room to do some stuff where we talked about the Game Golf product and how we can use it to drive coaching and we rehashed the stuff we talked about during breakfast only this time with cameras rolling. Mostly it's Mark talking and me nodding and agreeing, which is fine with me. After doing a bit with myself and Brandon, we piled back into carts to go through some challenges on the course, Mark against Brandon on some approach work, and myself on a hole with trouble on the right to see if I could keep from going right. I did manage to keep one in play, but the other was that push-fade that went poorly. By that time the weather was getting worse, so instead of filming we just did a Periscope on Game Golf's account of a brief short game lesson. Once we were all thoroughly wet and cold, we headed in for some lunch and mostly just talked golf stuff. PGA pros Mark had worked with, how much they enjoy not talking about golf, how they were enjoying their trip to the southwest, etc.

I'll be following up with Game Golf and Mark in the next few weeks as we talk about applying the lessons on the course in my own time, which will either get rolled into this video or an additional one. Either way, this has been an amazing weekend, Mark is a genuinely good guy and a very good instructor, able to use the data to generate some simple swing thoughts that just work. Game Golf is an incredible company to be involved in, still rather small but with some great ideas on how to improve their product to improve coaching, social interaction, and self-improvement. Their new stuff is very cool, including grips with the GG tag already built in, and the new Live system allows in-game viewing of a player's stats, which I think would take things like a playing lesson to a whole new level. Dave is very excited about the future of their company, and that excitement is pretty contagious.

Here's the Periscope of the live lesson

And a tweet from Coach with some stills.

This is cool man, glad you had a good time. It's fun to see a different perspective of someone we only get to watch on the internet. Looking forward to seeing how the lesson plays out for you moving forward.

At long last, Mark has started uploading the lessons from Vegas. He's started with Brandon, who is a very solid golfer (I think about a 4 index) with his lesson to help improve contact on iron shots.

Funny - I just watched the Brandon vlog and them came over to THP and saw the thread.

Brandon is a legit good dude, and he's forgotten more about turf than most of us will ever know. Also, he crushes a golf ball.

Saw your driver lesson was posted today. LOVE that you had on a THP hat during the whole thing. Of course with your driver lesson, all I think about is the drive you SMOKED on #5 at True Blue on Sunday of the final Morgan Cup.

[video=youtube;-X-O2DMliaA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-O2DMliaA[/video]

That's definitely a drive that stays in my head in terms of visualizing how I try to flight the ball off the tee. Sadly, this lesson kinda took place in the middle of a run of simply driving the ball miserably, combined with a very windy winter that had me trying to flight the ball as low as possible.

I will also say that my driving average has gone up about 10 yards since this lesson. Also disclosed to me is that the notorious "Lockey flick" they have me work on that I don't really get hold of during the lesson took Matt about 6 months to actually groove, and he also admits completely abandons him on occasion. So I don't feel so bad that I don't get it sorted out in the last 10 minutes of the lesson.

Overall this was a really fun lesson. And yes, I did rock the THP hat (and THP quarter-zip) during the lesson, since I did say I would.

Back