Anyone out there still using the Cleveland 588 Fairway Wood and / or Hybrid?

TheFlyingWASP

Reaction score
Handicap
Can get these for a steal online & was considering giving them a go. Has anyone used them? Currently using them?

Anyone out there still using the Cleveland 588 Fairway Wood and / or Hybrid?

I have the hybrid in the bag still, and will as long as I play a 3 hybrid for the foreseeable future. It's one of my favorite clubs.

Im not still using them but did use them for a while. There are a number of big threads on THP with reviews as they were part of a THP Event where they gave THPers a 14 club deal. Both the FW woods and hybrids were very well liked.

I have the 588. It's not a regular gamer but still makes an appearance. Love this line. The 5 wood is the most forgiving I have hit in a long time. Huge fan here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 588 7- wood has almost the same specs as the Callaway heavenwood and is much less expensive. It has a little deeper face and is .5" shorter shaft than the heavenwood but other than that very similar. Of course it's not a heavenwood. The FW's and hybrids are both very solid clubs. The 588 custom driver was very good as well and all have extensive threads on THP.

For the price, you won't be able to find a better lineup

I have the 588. It's not a regular gamer but still makes an appearance. Love this line. The 5 wood is the most forgiving I have hit in a long time. Huge fan here.

How would you compare the 588's to the Z F45? On the fence & can't demo here. Thoughts?

Last edited:
588 are bigger in profile and more forgiving. Both the woods and the hybo.

How would you compare the 588's to the Z F45 & H45? On the fence & can't demo here. Thoughts?

If you want forgiving, if that's priority 1- go 588. If it's price, go 588. If it's slightly smaller profile and somewhat less spin, go Srixon.

I use both the 15.5 fairway and the 20.5 hybrid, and I love 'em both. Great value, good looking, very forgiving clubs.

I use both the 15.5 fairway and the 20.5 hybrid, and I love 'em both. Great value, good looking, very forgiving clubs.

Huge value. Might not be a better value in golf equipment right now IMO

How would you compare the 588's to the Z F45 & H45? On the fence & can't demo here. Thoughts?

Downside to 588- it's not adjustable. Srixon FW is. Neither hybo is.

Both stock shafts are well paired as well.

Mark Crossfield did a test with the 588 3-wood and 588 3-hybrid on You Tube if you want a visual with some numbers. Both have very informative threads here also.

The 588 7- wood has almost the same specs as the Callaway heavenwood and is much less expensive. It has a little deeper face and is .5" shorter shaft than the heavenwood but other than that very similar. Of course it's not a heavenwood. The FW's and hybrids are both very solid clubs. The 588 custom driver was very good as well and all have extensive threads on THP.

From the specs I found it was the exact same as the V Series heavenwood (42.75", 20.5*) but I could be off. I still have mine in the bag, and don't see any reason to change. It still performs great, and at the price I don't think you can beat it. That is coming from a full on Callaway homer too.

Ordered the 15.5* 3 wood & 18* 5 wood all new, for roughly $50 each. Figure that's on the cheap side of one newer model hybrid, so not much risk. If I don't gel w/ them I'm not out much & can probably sell them for close to what I paid. Probably take an inch off of the butt end of each of the fairway woods. 43.5" & 43" will be a little more shaft for me than what I like. Happy w/ what I'm playing now, but very excited to give these a go.

Last edited:
Ordered the 15.5* 3 wood, 18* 5 wood, & 20.5* Hybrid, all new, for roughly $50 each. Figure that's on the cheap side of one newer model hybrid, so not much risk. If I don't gel w/ them I'm not out much & can probably sell them for close to what I paid. Probably take an inch off of the butt end of each of the fairway woods. 43.5" & 43" will be a little more shaft for me than what I like. Otherwise, very excited to give these a go.

Enjoy!

Thanks!!! Appreciate all the advice. Golf Warehouse has a used Z F45 for $90, but it's almost an hour away from where I live. I'm tempted to drive out & hit it too, just to see... I'm rediculous, I know... Ha!!! What's wrong w/ me?

From the specs I found it was the exact same as the V Series heavenwood (42.75", 20.5*) but I could be off. I still have mine in the bag, and don't see any reason to change. It still performs great, and at the price I don't think you can beat it. That is coming from a full on Callaway homer too.

The biggest difference between the 588 7W and the Heavenwood is head size - the Heavenwood is more the profile of the 3W with the loft of the 7.

I'm interested in the 20.5* hybrid due to the shape and price. I'm just wondering if it will be too high spin/short for me as I hit the ball high and have a high swing speed? 115 mph driver/97 mph 6-iron.

I know a couple of single digits who still play the Cleveland Quadpro. Those fairway woods were ridiculously long and still perform well to this day. I've always felt Cleveland's fairway woods are under appreciated.

$_35.JPG

Could anyone compare this thing to a Bridgestone J40 or Wilson FG Tour M3?

Back