Who's hit the XR 16?

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
How does it compare to the other drivers out there? Anyone gaming it? I read some of the reviews but not much info. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me ask another question here, is there a draw bias built into the XR16 and not in the XR pro? The THP pro review says "more neutral CG bias" am I reading that right?

Sorry for the double post

I did some driver testing last week at local golfsmith with one of their top rated fitters. Started off with my Titleist 915D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff as I know exactly how it performs on the course--very consistent/accurate but very spinny (appx 3500+). Played the Titleist 905R 9.5* for years and years (6+ and will not get rid of it to this day). Have tried "lower spinning" drivers in the past (Cobra Fly Z+ and Ping G30 LSTec) and while longer and lower spinning for sure--I always lost a good bit of control/consistency and threw in too many losses to the right. For reference, I'm a 6hcp 100-103 SS and average carry distance of appx 245-250ish--but that is all I get from the Titleist. Very little roll at all.
Went into the fitting with an open mind--but also had a small list of ones I wanted to hit:

1) M2 9.5* with stock Fuji Pro stiff and KuraKage 70. Feels very good off the face and nice launch (15+*) but surprisingly was still spinning at appx 3400 and therefore stalling and falling some. Nice club for the price point--but I had previously hit the M1 before at an outdoor demo day w same shafts and never "fell in love" so that could have something to do with this M2 as well.

2) Cobra F6=--very similar to Fly Z+ and decent numbers. BUT too similar to FlyZ+ and had such a love/hate relationship with that club and too much fiddling with weights, lofts setting etc.

3) Ping G- 9* head with the Ping tour 65 shaft. Actually was very surprised with this club as I never really got along/liked the G30 (too spinny). The new G with this shaft was solid! Very consistent and spin was lower (3000ish). The head is pretty funky looking, but good def got over as well as it felt. Solid (#2 choice)

4) Cally GBB (10*) w Aldila Rogue Shaft stiff-another great feeling driver. Main turnoff here was the price in all honesty (wanted to stay around the $350ish range)

5) Cally XR16 and XR 16 Pro-- Boom baby!! Let me start with saying I have never been a huge Cally fan (did have a set of X-12 irons back in 1999ish or so) and do play a XHot 3 wood (pure money) but other than that just never loved/got along with their drivers. Well this XR16 feels awesome--a nice muted/solid thwack and not tinngy/pinngy at all (can't stand that feel/sound). The face just feels soft and then boom!! Started with the XR16 Pro 10.5 with stock 665 Evo II in stiff. Love the feel of shaft and head--nice lower spin down to 2900ish but was a tad concerned the pro head would bring in the "right miss" again as i do prefer/need a slight draw bias head. Then came the reg XR 16 in a 9* head. Started with the 557 Evo II shaft (red) and just too light. Not really whippy--just light and i prefer a slightly heavier shaft to keep track of the clubhead. SO--fitter said bingo!! Went 9* head D setting and the Speeder EVO II 665 shaft. Launch was 14ish*, spin 2700-2800 and carry was 255+. The main thing i like was the ease at which this swung and knowing there is still the forgiveness there. Only thing that sucks is now have to wait 10+ days for them to order shaft/head combo from Cally!! Uggghhh.

All in all was a fun day and cant wait for this bomber to get her

Back