Wedge loft/bounce combinations - what is your two highest lofted wedge setup?

O'Carroll

O'verrated
Reaction score
Handicap
Fat Calves
Watching this THP PGA Show video with Roger Cleveland discussing the bounce of the wedge (http://www.thehackersparadise.com/callaway-pm-grind-roger-cleveland-explains-it-all/) and how to deliver the club to the ball has me thinking about my own wedge loft and bounce combinations.

I am currently playing a low bounce 55° and a high bounce 60° wedge setup. In that video above, Roger stresses the need for bounce, and delivering the club in a manner in which the leading edge slides under the ball and the bounce assists the club in skipping along the turf. I will be the first to admit that I have very little clue when it comes to playing different wedge shots around the green, but what I do know is that I tend to be more consistent with my low bounce 55° wedge around the green than the 60° wedge. I'm sure that my technique, or lack of, is squarely to blame for that, but I'm curious as to what others have for a set up.

How does your two highest wedge loft/bounce combinations look? Are they they same (both low, mid, or high) based on your playing conditions (soft or hard)? Are you playing with different bounce combinations and if so, what are they (lower loft/higher bounce-higher loft/lower bounce or vice-versa)?

I have a 62/08 (60/06 bent 2* weak) Bridgestone J15 wedge that I use around the greens and in bunkers. I rarely hit this full. With this wedge I use a 58* Ping Gorge bent to 56* with the original ss bounce, so it now has less bounce. I use it for full shots, around the greens, long bunker shots, and desert shots. Because of the conditions at my home course, I need low bounce sand clubs and a low bounce desert club.

I also own a 60/09 Callaway wedge that I use in bunkers, around the greens, and for full 85 yd shots. This club is in my "travel" set.

Callaway MD3's with the W grind - 54/12 and 58/11. I trust Rodger, bounce is your friend and the leading edge is the devil.

55* - 9 bounce, 60* - 11 bounce.

I've also played:

54* - 10 bounce, 58* - 7 bounce.
54* - 12 bounce, 58* - 12 bounce.

Haven't really seen much of a difference with any of them to be honest, but that 7* of bounce on the one 58 does help with really firm tight lies.

I always love checking out what some pros play though, and it's an interesting mix. For example Spieth and Walker both play 60/4 wedges, while Justin Thomas and Bill Haas play a 60/10.

Out here things tend to be firm so I have a 54-10 and a 58-08 for my wedges. My PW an AW are part of my iron set and are 44-07 and 49-11.

54* md3 w grind and 58* PM grind. Having the w grind in the 54 has made life in the bunkers so much easiest. I play on mostly normal to wet conditions so no need for low bounce. Also on 3/4 to full swings the 54 w has been good and not to many fat shots,

I play a 56*14 bent to 54*12 and a 58*10 so i would guess both are mid bounce. I play in a lot of different conditions and these have just worked for me.

My wedges a more less low bounce and I don't doubt Roger, but I like lower bounce wedges the best for our summer conditions.

56-10 and 60-11 for me

I have a 54* with 10* of bounce and a 60* with 4* of bounce.

The 54* seems to be much easier to use in bunkers, but I have noticed on partial wedge shots that if I don't have the club handle forward at impact I can easily thin the shot. I don't have that problem with the 60* and I attribute it directly to the bounce.

I use the 60* for most shots around the green and don't hit fat often unless I'm on an uphill lie and don't adjust my setup accordingly.

In the iron wedges, I'll play one of two bags, so I'll answer for both.

If the 545s are in the bag, I've got a 52 degree MD3 and a 56 degree Hopkins in the bag. MD3 is the S grind, as I liked the profile there for full swings. Still plenty of bounce. I believe the Hopkins is the wide grind, which I prefer out of the bunkers, as that's been a weakness of mine this year.

If the i25s are in the bag, I'll be playing the set irons (54 and 58) - PING reports the bounce on these as "bounce width", but the reported bounce is somewhere in between the ES and WS grinds in the glide range. I've found these to be really, really versatile, and I was actually sad to see the set wedges go on the new i series irons.

TBH I don't know what the bounce is in my wedges :/

Callaway MD3's with the W grind - 54/12 and 58/11. I trust Rodger, bounce is your friend and the leading edge is the devil.
Roger and I spent 20 minutes or so in the short game area at ECPC, and I ended up with 54/14 and 58/10 in the MD2's. So kind of opposite from a bounce perspective from what I was playing. I loved the 54° from the greenside rough, but felt like I didn't have a wedge to play a pitch shot from a tight lie (neither the 54° or the 58° didn't really work for me from tight lies), which is why I switched back. I think I need a short game lesson....

Roger and I spent 20 minutes or so in the short game area at ECPC, and I ended up with 54/14 and 58/10 in the MD2's. So kind of opposite from a bounce perspective from what I was playing. I loved the 54° from the greenside rough, but felt like I didn't have a wedge to play a pitch shot from a tight lie (neither the 54° or the 58° didn't really work for me from tight lies), which is why I switched back. I think I need a short game lesson....

Haha. Learning to use the bounce that is available seems to be the biggest issue for most. That time at the ECPC changed the way I look at the short game and if I can ever get comfortable opening the wedge and using the available bounce, than I will be in pretty god shape.

That's why I went w/ the S grind in the 52 when I got it - still a good amount of bounce (10*), but a bit thinner profile, which (mentally) at least, seems to work better for me around the green.

56/8 and 60/6; both one dot versions of the Cleveland Rotex 2.0 wedges. Those were selected for me in a fitting, but this year I plan/expect I will change out for wedges with more bounce. I am also thinking about a little less loft on the first, maybe 54-55. I like the 60 loft and wouldn't go for more there.

I am really happy with the wedges, but have little doubt some bounce/loft changes will be helpful for my game.

I have 54-11 and 48-08. I use the 54 for fluffy lies and bunkers, the 48 for overly hard or soft lies.

I have a 54 with 8 degrees of bounce ,a 58 with 8 degrees as well. My 48 is 10 degrees

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

For me, less bounce is best. None of my wedges touch double digits in bounce. 8* is as high as I go.

I use the set gap wedge and a 58 and a 64 /10 on the way. I think the 64 will be useful for greenside bunkers and the thick rough around the greens.

I LOVE bounce.....
Try to utilize it every time possible and has honestly changed my short game immensely.
I play 55 with 18 degree bounce and 60 with 27 degree bounce. Sounds like a lot but the design of the wedges help keep the leading edge sufficiently close to the surface.

I have a 60* K grind 11* bounce
I also have 56* M grind with a 10* bounce KK shaft also a 56* S grind 10* bounce with a recoil proto 125 F4 shaft. The recoil will probably go in my bag the KK will take a break.

I have 54-11 and 48-08. I use the 54 for fluffy lies and bunkers, the 48 for overly hard or soft lies.
What if you are short-sided to an uphill pin from a tight green side apron like lie? Still go with the 48°?

For me, less bounce is best. None of my wedges touch double digits in bounce. 8* is as high as I go.
What type of conditions do you normally play? You still use a low bounce wedge in green side rough? Or soft deep bunkers?

I have a 56/10 and 60/07. I'll choose the 60* from the fairway, although I'm looking forward to trying to use more bounce this year after Roger worked with us at The Gauntlet last year. I'll generally use the 60* in greenside rough and the 56* gets the most use out of bunkers.

Back