Swing changes changing your fit?

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
I've been fit by my instructor a couple times in the past with the same results +1/2 and 2up also when ever we tinkered with head and shafts from the fitting carts this combo always worked in the past well for me.

We've made some serious swing changes over the last yr and the numbers just weren't meshing anymore. So today after some work and discussion about what was going on and the changes from our Florida trip to what we are seeing now led to a tinkering session. We dropped a standard length shaft into a couple heads and the numbers started coming around and from his view I was covering the ball better through impact.

So the question is have you ever made enough of a swing change that it changed what you "fit" into? What were the changes?

My swing is the same today as it was in the early 1970's. No changes for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to some people. FWIW, I've gained about 5 mph on my 6 iron swing speed since my last fitting in 2014, so I'm thinking my specs could be a little different if I went for a fitting now. That would be an example of what you are saying.

We changed my posture to get me standing a little taller and bringing me closer to the ball. It is still a work in progress, but we are thinking I may need to lengthen the clubs by 1/2 inch and maybe go 1 more degree up.

I've been fit by my instructor a couple times in the past with the same results +1/2 and 2up also when ever we tinkered with head and shafts from the fitting carts this combo always worked in the past well for me.

We've made some serious swing changes over the last yr and the numbers just weren't meshing anymore. So today after some work and discussion about what was going on and the changes from our Florida trip to what we are seeing now led to a tinkering session. We dropped a standard length shaft into a couple heads and the numbers started coming around and from his view I was covering the ball better through impact.

So the question is have you ever made enough of a swing change that it changed what you "fit" into? What were the changes?

I overhauled my swing 3 years ago since my original self-made swing was so butt-ugly and inefficient. I also got tired of keeping on losing to bets. I'm a lot happier with my new swing. It's not perfect, the plane is way too flat for some, but that's as high and right I can bring my hands on the backswing without bending my left arm and not making a reverse pivot.

I wasn't lucky enough to have a proper instructor when I started or enough knowledgeable friends to help me out. With my new swing, I can drive as far as I did 15 years ago, I don't get any game-related injury, and the little discomforts I am currently feeling I'm addressing by making some minor tweaks to my new swing.

I use my driver, FW and hybrids at standard retail specs, but my irons are 1 degree flat, 1 degree strong and US spec length. I find the JDM iron shafts a bit short. I used these specs after I fixed my swing.

Last edited:
Big time. I was 1.5" over on irons in November 2014 and now play either 0.5" or 0.75" over. The setup and swing plane changed so much that 1.5" was way too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To date swing changes have not led to a change in fitting.

Back