Technology vs price

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
We see in various reactions in threads to the cost if equipment from the high end Japanese models like XXIO, Yonex, Honma or American Companies like PXG, Toulon, Scotty. or with new releases of equipment that have a jump on price like $499 drivers, $349 woods.

Vrska mentioned in the Uncut episode they had a club they couldn't release to the public because of the cost.

if any on the companies we are used to (Callaway, TMAG, Ping,etc) decided to go all out and put more money into R&D of a product and release it at a higher cost than normal would golfers accept it and buy the product or will it leave a mark on the company and have golfers look elsewhere?

what is the price point that would prevent someone buying a new driver, woods or hybos even if it had the absolute best a company could offer?

We see in various reactions in threads to the cost if equipment from the high end Japanese models like XXIO, Yonex, Honma or American Companies like PXG, Toulon, Scotty. or with new releases of equipment that have a jump on price like $499 drivers, $349 woods.

Vrska mentioned in the Uncut episode they had a club they couldn't release to the public because of the cost.

if any on the companies we are used to (Callaway, TMAG, Ping,etc) decided to go all out and put more money into R&D of a product and release it at a higher cost than normal would golfers accept it and buy the product or will it leave a mark on the company and have golfers look elsewhere?

what is the price point that would prevent someone buying a new driver, woods or hybos even if it had the absolute best a company could offer?

Nope. There is a market for products like the ones mentioned and they are niche. A small OEM can do it because the margins are sufficient to cover lower costs, but major OEM's don't do it because why bother.

For me, I appreciate the technology that goes into clubs. Having said that, the price would have to reflect the performance gain I receive over my current club, or other clubs on the market. So while I can appreciate that a company puts a lot of money into R&D, it doesn't make sense for me to pay for the premium price if I can get the same or similar performance from another club. So if a club is double the price of another club, I better see a rather large increase in performance.

I would love to see the curve of cost vs what is purchased. It seems like things that are priced what most would consider below "normal" cost are view as cheap (Bridgestone JGR?), those on the high end of "normal" are considered expensive (M1?) and then the uber expensive have their niche (XXIO and PXG).

I will pay for tech up to a point, for example, I spent extra money on Graphite shafts in my irons because I felt the cost was worth it. I won't even demo PXG (partly because they would be tough to find) but also because I am assuming the cost will be more than I am willing to spend.

The technology from big name OEM's and small market companies isn't much of a differenc anymore. However, the R&D in a company like Callaway is HUGE and thus they tend to be the tip of the spear. I'm not going to spend a lot of extra money on a product that MAY net me 5 for yards. 5 yards isn't worth a few $100 dollars more, not to me.

Hypothetical question. Say next year Callaway and TMAG up the price on next GBB version and DBD to $600 and TMAG does the same for new m1 version and for the m2 version up $50. The rest of the OEMs stay the same or increase their new releases by $50.

do those who are in the market still look to callaway as an option? Do they balk at the price and consider another OEM they may not have in previous years? Do they stay with current driver and save up to make new purchase the following year?

Hypothetical question. Say next year Callaway and TMAG up the price on next GBB version and DBD to $600 and TMAG does the same for new m1 version and for the m2 version up $50. The rest of the OEMs stay the same or increase their new releases by $50.

do those who are in the market still look to callaway as an option? Do they balk at the price and consider another OEM they may not have in previous years? Do they stay with current driver and save up to make new purchase the following year?

That's a difficult one to answer given the economics involved. I would say both companies would see a decline in sales on their flagship lines as more folks would stand pat or snap up current models at discount. Or jump to other makes if they hold the line on their prices - the Titleist drivers would seem like a bargain at $450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technology vs price

Every person is going to have a price ceiling, that no matter what the tech is, there is a number people won't pay for golf equipment. It's different for everyone. As far as the masses though it won't happen, not with release cycles, people complain about them enough and don't understand it.

Now let's talk tech, what does this tech do for you? Being realistic if I can get 20 add'l yds on 8/10 drives and forgiveness is superb where I only lose 5 yds on mishits on the other two? Then take my $600 now and call it a day.

I think the tech like, each piece of equipment is golfer dependent so people will see different gains and therefore be willing to pay it. If the driver is good for 30% of golfers than 30% should by it, but what % of that 30% cam afford the $ for said equipment.

I'm not sure how the market would react to a $600 Great Big Bertha (or M1 etc), but I know how the Internet would...and it would be horrendous. This board and others would lose their collective minds. The tech could be out of this world, making everyone better, and it still wouldn't matter.

I wouldn't complain about it, but I also probably wouldn't (re: couldn't) afford it.

it's an interesting topic for sure.

i think the danger is brand perception. if cleveland came to the market next year with a set of irons that were on par with pxg, and a driver pushing $600 we would all scratch our heads because it's not what we expect from that brand. even if the big boys come out with a really expensive club, it either needs to be directed at a very specific subset of golf nerds (often golf egoists) in order to be successful. i don't have the numbers, but i feel like the ping anser irons were a failure. they were REALLY expensive, even for ping.

As the old saying in racing goes " horsepower costs money.....how fast do you want to go"? You could spend thousands and thousands of dollars for a few tenths of a second. Translate that into golf, OEM's could spend tens of thousand of dollars in R&D for maybe a few yards in distance or less side spin. It would be up to the consumer to gauge if it's worth the asking price for such "reported" gains. When products are released as frequently as they are in the golf industry, one has to look closely at the supposed technology. To an extent, marketing and cosmetics are cheaper than actual R&D.

Nope. There is a market for products like the ones mentioned and they are niche. A small OEM can do it because the margins are sufficient to cover lower costs, but major OEM's don't do it because why bother.

I don't think I could add anything to this. It's right on target IMHO!

I agree. I'm not paying $1000 for driver because it is no better than one that is $300 and I don't have to.

That's a difficult one to answer given the economics involved. I would say both companies would see a decline in sales on their flagship lines as more folks would stand pat or snap up current models at discount. Or jump to other makes if they hold the line on their prices - the Titleist drivers would seem like a bargain at $450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure there would be some negative reaction to the price and a fallout on sales. In the golf channel segment a few weeks back on pxg Parsons mentioned about cost not being a factor and basically let R&D do their thing and that these other companies are all designing to a price point (not saying it's true, Parsons words). Vrska mentioned similar in the uncut episode when talking about the fairway wood and letting R&D do whatever they wanted. Then when I think about the evolution vs revolution discussions with Vrska and Corey it makes me wonder what companies could do from a tech standpoint while still meeting PGA and R&A guidelines but aren't so they don't lose sales.

will we ever see a revolution in drivers, woods, hybrids or will each release be an evolution of the current line? The evolution vs revolution with the c200s and Vrksa mentioning in the THP TV interview they are doing things in c200 they couldn't 2 years ago. Wonder where we see things go and do price points stay in the current range or what price do,they jump to before consumers stop paying

Part of the fun I get out of golf gear is buying them at discounted prices. Everything in my bag, except for the putter and 3W, I bought at discounted prices.

Do I believe that I am getting an edge if I buy more expensive equipment? Not really. Do I believe that every year as a model comes out it's considerably better than the previous one? Not really.

I agree. I'm not paying $1000 for driver because it is no better than one that is $300 and I don't have to.

Take xxio for example. It's a $700 driver and numerous THPers saw success with it compared to their current gamer. Mikedean441 has seen drastic improvements with the club. Would you say the $700 xxio driver is better than the $300 CG Black or some other $300-500 driver?

I don't change clubs very often and when I do, I buy used. I may be a few years off in technology advancements but I can't beat the price point. Works out great since I have a local store that deals largely in the used market. Even if I buy new, it is a club on the discount rack. I am cheap and would rather spend money to play or get lessons.

Someone will always pay put super high price points limit the market purely due to available income of consumers.

Back