Par 3 Courses - Practice or Serious?

Only play Par 3 courses if I am with my daughter. Probably would use them to work on wedge game if I was to go by myself.

I started playing golf on one, so it was serious, now I think I'd play it more for fun/leisure and a bit of practice!

I've played the one at Colbert Hill in Manhattan a number of times. I take it serious, as I've never shot under par there and I still want to. I've shot Par a number of times, but not under par and none of the holes are over 190 yards at most. There are some decent changes in tee to green elevation though, so it makes it a bit more difficult.

I love my driver, but a par 3 course is just like a real course, only shorter.

Always practice for me. Just nice to go and work on the short game in real life situations.

There are a few locally that I enjoy playing, one of them being pretty freaking hard at Par 60. I take them serious for the most part, as it's a good test of my iron and wedge game.
3+3, add the 5, carry the 9.....pretty sure thats not a par 3 course. Haha

"Executive course."
Haha. I gotcha. Just thought you needed a little grief today.

There are a few of those executive courses around me that actually are quite difficult and are on the rotation for the golf association here in town.

Serious practice. Seriously.

I am not pacing off or even checking yardages, I like playing the par three near me just by using perception. I try to hit a bunch of shots, whatever feels like the proper play. Be creative, take more risks than I would in a regular round. Not really that concerned with score.

I use one Par 3 for serious practice. I can walk it on my lunch break, and it's set up in a way that I can walk back to my car from a bunch of the holes if I just decide to sit on a few to work on different shots and bunker escapes. At $12, it's only a few bucks more than a large bucket and to be honest, I sometimes feel like I get a lot more out of being on the course.

There's another Par 3 that's actually a bit harder than that one, but I always walk it with my 10 year old so that one's purely about having fun.

I find them great practice if the course is slow. Unfortunately the one near me is usually packed with intoxicated college kids and it just makes me sad to remember I'm not one of them anymore.

I think they're good for short game practice and just having fun. I'm sure I'll be visiting more par 3 and executive courses with my youngest son.

I played a course for the first time not far from my house last week. It's a senior community par 60 course with par 3s and a sprinkle of par 4s. I played it seriously versus as practice. I shot 9 over. I will now play it for practice. I think it will allow me to keep my putting and short game tuned.

Taylormade Experience near the Las Vegas airport has a 9 hole par 3 course. I go there strickly for practice.

I've played one around me a few times and it is mostly to practice wedges. The longest hole is only like 120 yards. But it is good practice.

I have only ever played a par 3 course once in my life and I was about 7 so I don't remember it much. But my thoughts on a Par 3 course are that i would use it more for practice and refining certain shots in my short game than trying to worry just about score and being serious. I wish there was one around me.

Only par 3 courses I have experience with are on the RTJ Golf Trail (Grand National and Magnolia Grove). They are challenging - certainly no chip and putts. I took them seriously. When I lived in Mobile I probably played the short course at Magnolia Grove 8-10 times/year.
While working in Mobile I was lucky enough to play the Magnolia Grove a few years ago and it was an increadibly enjoyable day. It was the first real par 3 only course I had played and was very reluctant to do so. There was a Junior tourney going on so I couldn't play the regulation course. Pro promised to refund my money of I didn't like it, he kept my money.

Would play it again in a heartbeat.

I want to play this one bad AND I plan on taking it very seriously.

contentBlock_551.jpg
How the hell do you keep from getting beaned from incoming shots with the greens so close together???

I am actually planning to play a local par 3 course quite a bit this year. Plan to take it serious.

How the hell do you keep from getting beaned from incoming shots with the greens so close together???
That's actually the driving range not the course. Sweet place

There are 2 near me that I play, and it's strictly practice. One of them is only a pitch-n-putt, the other is an actual par 3 course with distances ranging 120-195 yards.

I go during down time and usually play alone. I'll start with 2 balls, then drop and extra around the green and then drop another on the green, resulting in 4 putts.

If I tried putting four balls I'd spend half an hour on each green.

Back