YouTube - Mark Crossfield

That's definitely a drive that stays in my head in terms of visualizing how I try to flight the ball off the tee. Sadly, this lesson kinda took place in the middle of a run of simply driving the ball miserably, combined with a very windy winter that had me trying to flight the ball as low as possible.

I will also say that my driving average has gone up about 10 yards since this lesson. Also disclosed to me is that the notorious "Lockey flick" they have me work on that I don't really get hold of during the lesson took Matt about 6 months to actually groove, and he also admits completely abandons him on occasion. So I don't feel so bad that I don't get it sorted out in the last 10 minutes of the lesson.

Overall this was a really fun lesson.

it's pretty awesome dude. Is there going to be more videos coming out?

it's pretty awesome dude. Is there going to be more videos coming out?
I think there's a follow-up that we'll do possibly as part of AGGLive where I'll Skype or call in and sort of talk about how my game's improved or changed since the lesson. I know they wanted to wait until the videos came out and then we had a chance to see them, maybe get a refresher, and get enough playing time in between to get some results that they can evaluate and pull from the Game Golf to show how the system can be used to analyse your game and work with your coach for more structured improvement.

Will have to watch the videos tonight after work. Sounds like it was an amazing experience. Congrats

Great videos dude! I enjoyed watching the process and the stuff you were working on, seems like you were really enjoying it. Nice product placement too btw haha hat and the 1/4 zip

Enjoyed that lesson vid! I like the way he was using individual thoughts with you. That resonated with me immediately (I know it may not with others, since we all learn differently). Something for me to remember when I seek out a pro to work with - I think this approach would be much more understandable and meaningful to me during a lesson.

That was ultra cool! Thanks for posting!

It's not included in the video, but before we started shooting we had some breakfast and talked a bit about the approach, and it's very much a high data to produce simple fixes approach rather than a guy watching you swing and then trying to offer some mechanical change. I think Mark's approach caters more to people who already have an idea of correlating face to path input to ball flight output. I think his approach may not work as well if someone can't connect swinging left with the face open to that path resulting in a fade or slice, for example.

I do agree with him that there's entirely too much jargon even in the teaching world of things like casting and over the top and lag other terms that we use that people see as a sort of barrier to learning to deliver the club not only consistently but in a way your brain can sort out.

Saw your driver lesson was posted today. LOVE that you had on a THP hat during the whole thing. Of course with your driver lesson, all I think about is the drive you SMOKED on #5 at True Blue on Sunday of the final Morgan Cup.

[video=youtube;-X-O2DMliaA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-O2DMliaA[/video]

That was a great watch, they look like brothers.

It's not included in the video, but before we started shooting we had some breakfast and talked a bit about the approach, and it's very much a high data to produce simple fixes approach rather than a guy watching you swing and then trying to offer some mechanical change. I think Mark's approach caters more to people who already have an idea of correlating face to path input to ball flight output. I think his approach may not work as well if someone can't connect swinging left with the face open to that path resulting in a fade or slice, for example.

I do agree with him that there's entirely too much jargon even in the teaching world of things like casting and over the top and lag other terms that we use that people see as a sort of barrier to learning to deliver the club not only consistently but in a way your brain can sort out.

Completely agree with this. My big fix with the driver, before last season, actually happened during a fitting at Club Champion. Was seeing the numbers (face angle, AOA, path, etc.), and the fitter just asked me, "Can you swing more right of 2nd base and hit up on it a bit?" It was night-and-day. Immediately gained speed, distance, and reduced spin. That one hint did more for me than an entire batch of lessons at GolfTec (though those did help). Come to think of it, I need to be better about using that kind of language for my swing thoughts - would probably make a huge difference.

Why can't I find anyone around here who can give me a big fix with my driver like this? I've got the power with it. I should be getting 230 carry with it. So why isn't it happening? Okay, get out your 9 iron and we'll work on that.

have never seen his videos but I am going to check them out

i really enjoyed that lesson. that was a massive improvement in path. get that face closed and you're going to be smashing it dude!

Thanks for sharing that Paladin! Was cool to watch especially because my struggles over the last year have been the complete opposite so I can appreciate how tough it is to change path consistently.

Great video! What did he have you working on after you started hitting the high hook left?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Great video! What did he have you working on after you started hitting the high hook left?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Never did quite get to hitting high hooks with the driver, unfortunately. At best I got to hitting very neutral/straight shots on the range. In the comments section I make mention that the flick is kind of elusive, and I just couldn't quite grasp the timing because I was thinking that the flick to get the face pointed left was something I needed to try and make happen much later in the swing than I was capable of doing. My idea of lag versus release just wouldn't let me start pointing the club face left of an in to out/neutral swing path early enough to not block it. After we got done filming (all in all filming was about 3 hours plus a 30 minute Periscoped short game lesson done on the fly) we had some lunch and talked through some of the lessons and I explained that I didn't feel like I could both lag the club and flick it, and also that I was used to being more passive with my hands because I was used to swinging left; actively closing the club face while swinging left was inviting the monster, miles left pull that would even be past how far left I'm normally aiming and was therefore the worst case scenario. So a sort of combination of perception of where and how to start pointing the club face left in order to be more neutral at impact, and some habits that I hadn't ground out, sort of conspired to prevent me from getting the high hook in execution that day, though I've since gotten it on the range. From there it's been sort of neutralizing my swing to something functional, which for me is still a fade, though I can close my stance a bit and hit a draw if I need to.

Mark has since done a video that explains why he hates trying to teach lag using 2-D video and how it's really not what we think it is, included below.

That was a great video! Looks like you guys had a blast out there. I really like how Mark gave you the numbers to show why your drives were going where they did at the beginning, but the feel/fix wasn't anything technical whatsoever.

Just got done filming our game golf lesson with Mark and coach Lockey. Awesome guys, and very simple, helpful tips. Can't wait to see it uploaded to YouTube

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I wondered who it was on that video with the THP hat and 1/4 Zip top on. How much difference are you seeing with your driver now?

I've been a subscriber to MC for a while now ~ it is hard not just to keep watching his good and relevant vids.
I addicted.

Just got off the phone with Mark, recording some stuff for the follow-up. Being able to pore over the stats revealed that, since the lesson (and an equipment change) I've added an average of 15 yards off the tee, more if you toss out blatant mishits, without really affecting accuracy...and even that is often hitting through doglegs or hitting it straighter than I expect.

I still lose the ball right more often than I'd like, but I feel like I have the tools these days to better keep the ball in check. Next up is to really focus on improving my short game, getting up and down more often, and sinking more putts.

Just got off the phone with Mark, recording some stuff for the follow-up. Being able to pore over the stats revealed that, since the lesson (and an equipment change) I've added an average of 15 yards off the tee, more if you toss out blatant mishits, without really affecting accuracy...and even that is often hitting through doglegs or hitting it straighter than I expect.

I still lose the ball right more often than I'd like, but I feel like I have the tools these days to better keep the ball in check. Next up is to really focus on improving my short game, getting up and down more often, and sinking more putts.

15 yards is no joke. Nice work!

Just watched the videos, pretty cool stuff. And I agree, 15 yds is a good improvement.

this entire thing is just awesome for you. 15 yards is off the tee is killer. Is he following or looking at your stats based on GameGolf?

Back