OWGR Top Tier vs Field

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The old argument used to be would you take Tiger vs the Field in an event.

Now I'm wondering how for down on the OWGR list would you go down before you'd have that same situation, like right now would you take Top 5 with Spieth, Rory, Day, Bubba and Rickie vs the Field?

I think if you extended it to the Top 10 maybe it makes the argument even easier, right now I'd vote top 3!

I'd say for stroke play you're looking at top 10 vs the field in a full field event not a WGC...

For the Match play event I'd say top 5 because Rickie and Rory are match play monsters.

beat me to it.
That discussion went into my thought process this morning when I was driving and listening to PGA Tour Radio talking about power rankings and fantasy picks and it reminded me of so many tournaments where it was Tiger vs the field, I don't know if we'll ever see as a dominant golfer as that anymore, and I was curious how many people would stay towards the top of the list or how far down on it they would go!

I would always take the field, even in Tiger's hey day you would still win 70% of the time. Pretty good odds!

I would always take the field, even in Tiger's hey day you would still win 70% of the time. Pretty good odds!
What about in majors? If the question was shifted to a major specifically would your thought process change?

Back