Would this be a decent set of clubs for me to start with?

Well shoot, that's a full set right in my price range. Is that something that could take me from novice to decent golfer and be durable enough for 3-4 years of play?

Not knowing your game or history with a lot of detail it's tough to say. For me these were the first clubs I bought after being away from the game for 5 years. I had an older set that I liked but we're super old. I liked how easy everything was to hit for me getting back in the game. It was the first driver I had success with and I already touched on the fairway woods. For me it helped make the game more fun while I worked on my swing. The Only reason I changed is that I got into a club ho phase and just liked trying new things. Looking back I should have stuck wit he these longer and just played.
I do think it could help for a couple seasons if you are gonna be limited on time and just want something to make the game easier. If you are getting to the point that u need to shape shots then it will be time to move on but for a newcomer they are good.
You could probly Piece a better set for a little more money but I think it would be better then the top flite or Ray cook set u posted. For the money, it is a really good set!
When I bought my set I bought an extra hybrid and traded in the putter right away for an odyssey. I had a couple extra wedges that I added to complete it.
If u have other questions please let me know.

My golf history is that I've played 20 games of golf max in the last five years. I generally hit 120ish on a par 70 course. I golf infrequently enough that I feel like a complete beginner at the start of each spring, however I pick it back up within a trip or two to the driving range. I start each spring swinging right around 120-125 on a par 70 but get that down to 110-115 by the beginning of winter. However, I'm looking to get much more into it. I'd like to go the driving range two times a week from now on and play a round or two at least once a month. As well as going to the driving range often enough during the winter to keep my muscle memory somewhat in shape. That's pretty tough to do here in Utah though. It gets quite bitter cold in the winter.

My golf history is that I've played 20 games of golf max in the last five years. I generally hit 120ish on a par 70 course. I golf infrequently enough that I feel like a complete beginner at the start of each spring, however I pick it back up within a trip or two to the driving range. I start each spring swinging right around 120-125 on a par 70 but get that down to 110-115 by the beginning of winter. However, I'm looking to get much more into it. I'd like to go the driving range two times a week from now on and play a round or two at least once a month. As well as going to the driving range often enough during the winter to keep my muscle memory somewhat in shape. That's pretty tough to do here in Utah though. It gets quite bitter cold in the winter.

I think these would do the trick then. When I started back into it, I had a background in playing but I hadn't played in so long it was like starting over. I was posting scores similar to yours. I would guess that playing with these I took my average strokes down to low 100s with practice and even broke 100 a couple times by the end of the summer. That is when I changed in these clubs for some other clubs but looking back I should have just stayed with these and kept playing more rounds of golf.

Sounds great. I might order them then.

If i were you I would get fitted first. May cost a few bucks but with the correct fitting you can find used clubs for less than 300. I use Ping, so if you know what lie angle and length, you could get a used set that fits you. For years I played with off the shelf clubs, I didnt really see any vast improvement until i started using clubs fitted for me.

If i were you I would get fitted first. May cost a few bucks but with the correct fitting you can find used clubs for less than 300. I use Ping, so if you know what lie angle and length, you could get a used set that fits you. For years I played with off the shelf clubs, I didnt really see any vast improvement until i started using clubs fitted for me.

Honestly, I'd get some decent clubs and then take lessons. I'd worry about a fitting later. Decent irons can have loft/lie adjusted (so the fitting can be done at any time), and his swing will probably change as an instructor irons out the kinks.

Also check 2nd swing golf. Lots of used clubs. Also Taylor made and Calloway pre owned websites have some great deals.

Back