Hard work, proper practice and discipline

I'm struggling right now figuring out how to practice with a purpose/get better. I am not a really vocal person about the golf swing/what I am feeling so it makes an instructors job incredibly tough to break through my hard head (my fault not his). It's a struggle but one that I am going to figure out this year it is time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Youve got a real nice swing, Ron. Especially that finish. Its majestic. I can see you being in a similar place as me, where the goal becomes to better learn how to golf our ball, manage the course, etc.

As for me, I havent had a lesson since I was a kid, but Im always looking for things I can learn from the people I play with, internet, range pros, etc. My eyes are always open. I want to get better badly, and Im currently working very hard to accomplish it. Ive changed my practice habits to be more focused on individual aspects of the game, specific shots, and selection of those shots.

I want to change my thinking on the course from choosing a club for a yardage to choosing a shot for the situation. Its been a much tougher change that I expected.

I understand the horror stories are out there and some are true. But I think most are blown way out of proportion. The player has to have a capacity to learn and set aside their wants and needs for a perfect situation. Meaning you may get a pro that is direct and your more passive. Learn to listen to the tips instead of the delivery.

Most pros are not there to make your life difficult. But understand that we do know more than the average golfer. So we do not want to be told how to do something. Good conversation is welcome but direction, not so much. I mean do you tell you mechanic how to do their job or suggest ways to do it that you saw on line or heard from the neighbor.

I think if you communicate what you'd like to accomplish and do not desire a full overhaul, 90% of the pros out there will listen.

How far do you personally think one can go on this? Meaning with online lessons/tips. I put the hard work in and do what I feel is proper practice, and have taken myself from shooting 100's+ to now being able to shoot 70's with no instruction other than tips on-line/on THP/on golf channel. I allow my natural swing to be what it is, and use little tips that work with what I have naturally. I've been doing this only for a couple years and have seen steady improvement, but I'm curious to see if I hit a wall at any point and stop moving forward with my game. I haven't seen or felt that yet, so just curious your thoughts on how low someone can take themselves without in person instruction.
I think it depends on how well the individual can take in the information and break it down into easily digestible parts. Ive learned a few shots where Ill watch multiple videos teaching the same concepts in different ways, so that I can better understand exactly what it is Im trying to learn.

It boils down to how we learn as individuals more than anything else

Youve got a real nice swing, Ron. Especially that finish. Its majestic. I can see you being in a similar place as me, where the goal becomes to better learn how to golf our ball, manage the course, etc.

As for me, I havent had a lesson since I was a kid, but Im always looking for things I can learn from the people I play with, internet, range pros, etc. My eyes are always open. I want to get better badly, and Im currently working very hard to accomplish it. Ive changed my practice habits to be more focused on individual aspects of the game, specific shots, and selection of those shots.

I want to change my thinking on the course from choosing a club for a yardage to choosing a shot for the situation. Its been a much tougher change that I expected.
Thanks Nate I appreciate that especially coming from you with your swing. All that said I see where Freddie is coming from. I need to find a guy and put trust in what he is teaching. On top of that I need to believe in myself and being able to pull the moves off. Starting to think I need a sports psychologist and swig coach wrapped in one haha.

Thanks Nate I appreciate that especially coming from you with your swing. All that said I see where Freddie is coming from. I need to find a guy and put trust in what he is teaching. On top of that I need to believe in myself and being able to pull the moves off. Starting to think I need a sports psychologist and swig coach wrapped in one haha.

You arent kidding there. The golf pro that double majors in sports psych will make a mint.

Belief is a big part of it, though. Its something Ive struggled with my entire life and only have begun to overcome in the last year or two.

I always think of one of my favorite quotes from Shawshank Redemption when Im doubting myself, "Get busy living, or get busy dying".

To golf, that translates to "Do I hope to get better at golf, or am I going to go get better at golf?" I choose the latter.

For me personally, its the time and money factor. I dont have that many opportunities to get out of the house to play golf so when i do, i want to be on the course. The money spent on lessons could be what i spend on rounds. At this stage in my life lessons arent that practical just yet. Its not something I'll never do, but right now i have a lot to learn when it comes to playing golf to score.

This is pretty much my situation also. I would really like to get lessons but I'm afraid I won't have the time I need to put in to make the changes effectively. I'm also similar that when I do have time to play I would like to be on the course. It's a tough balance to manage.

How far do you personally think one can go on this? Meaning with online lessons/tips. I put the hard work in and do what I feel is proper practice, and have taken myself from shooting 100's+ to now being able to shoot 70's with no instruction other than tips on-line/on THP/on golf channel. I allow my natural swing to be what it is, and use little tips that work with what I have naturally. I've been doing this only for a couple years and have seen steady improvement, but I'm curious to see if I hit a wall at any point and stop moving forward with my game. I haven't seen or felt that yet, so just curious your thoughts on how low someone can take themselves without in person instruction.
You will always hit walls here and there just need to push past it. Your game seems pretty solid from what I saw so I wouldn't worry too much just focus on getting better. Track your stats and have focused practice on the parts that are lacking. Maybe find some workouts and try to get that extra 10 yards out of your swing. Lessons won't hurt if you go that route either.

Thanks for the reminder. I've been working hard to improve and I've seen glimmers of hope but also I've been slightly frustrated at my progression. I know it's there but perhaps I'm expecting too much, too soon.
Reading this thread has renewed my desire to work hard to improve. Thx Tadashi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These are the keys to good golf. There is no other way to say it. There is no magic pill that will make you better. No amount of new clubs will make you better. Only hard work will make you better.

So I guess all that's left is to figure how good you want to be. Because if you armed putting in the work, I promise you are not progressing as a golfer. It won't happen over night but if you work hard and work right, you will get better.

Online lessons will only take you so far. One on one is the best way in most instances. But if that isn't in the cards then online, specifically THP, is the way go. I'm only stating the obvious but I think it needs to said. I've seen a couple of real transformation recently that brought this about.

Stop hoping the next swing will be right and do work to insure it is.
Amen to that

Hard work and practice is surely the answer. The best way to stay on track with the hard work you do, is to make it fun. Embrace the journey!

First off, shirt game improvement is a fast track to better golf.

Before I moved back to floods I would hit balls for hours and call it a good night. But my misses never left. But my grooved shots did. When I started working with Brian Mogg I would take an hour to hit 30 balls. I worked on the move he taught me on each swing. Rehearsing it over and over units it became part of me.

I eliminated dumb mistakes such as alignment, stance and posture. This way I knew the move was the issue. It made correction that much easier. An hour lesson with him spent half the time on positions. If I hit my positions the ball was just an objet that got in the way of the swing. It was going where the swing placed it.

A bucket of balls with no direction or goal is poor practice. Practice perfect haas an end game and purpose.
Good stuff. I'll try slow down and be more deliberate in practice. I know I
have a bad habit of just getting some exercise at the range and nothing more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Good stuff. I'll try slow down and be more deliberate in practice. I know I
have a bad habit of just getting some exercise at the range and nothing more.

Think of it like this. If you practiced free throws for an hour. Would you brag about shooting 100 or making 30.

If you hit that many center sweet spot shots in the range, I'd be surprised. Yet everyone almost always says I hit 100 balls but never I flushed this many....

Good read Freddie and spot on!

One of the things I learned from my instructor was how to practice properly, I can go to the range and hit 200 balls no problem, but that doesn't do much to fix the swing and improve. He taught me to really focus on a drill or feeling for a few practice swings then hit a couple balls then back to the drill/feel. I still do many of the drills 5 times then 5 swings. Focusing at the range to get work done has gotten me to playing better and more consistent.

Creating the practice time or forcing myself to practice has been tougher due to available time but I've found ways to make it happen and it's paying off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think of it like this. If you practiced free throws for an hour. Would you brag about shooting 100 or making 30.

If you hit that many center sweet spot shots in the range, I'd be surprised. Yet everyone almost always says I hit 100 balls but never I flushed this many....
So true. I actually found a par 3 course that is not crowded, and from the blues the holes are from 130-215. I think I'm going to play some practice rounds there instead of the range this weekend. I'm thinking It's not only a way for me to get used to the new irons gapping, but should also be a good test as to how often I can really hit target.

Having a plan and putting in the hard work is exactly right. In my younger years I often put in the hard work but had a lack of a plan or lack of focus. I hit too many balls without actually working on specifics and didn't spend enough time putting or chipping. 2016 is dedicated to improving the weakest part of my game, putting. I've been practicing with alignment or other aides several hours each week. Progress is slow but I have made progress. I'm a big believer in fundamentals as many times the source of my misses is posture, tempo, or alignment.

Lessons are hard for me ... it is that introvert in me ... that one-on-one ... but I do take about 3-4 lessons a year. They have help me. I know at club clash the shingles pain was a big struggle for me. I mean if you are going to have some bad rounds, why not have it front of 23 of your friends from THP? :act-up: But I was not going to miss the event. I promise the next event you will see a new Kensisland ... reading this thread has reenergized me to get out practice with a purpose.

Poor alignment still gets me a lot. I don't know why, but I still have to tendency to line up to the right. Drives me nuts sometimes.

I understand the horror stories are out there and some are true. But I think most are blown way out of proportion. The player has to have a capacity to learn and set aside their wants and needs for a perfect situation. Meaning you may get a pro that is direct and your more passive. Learn to listen to the tips instead of the delivery.

Most pros are not there to make your life difficult. But understand that we do know more than the average golfer. So we do not want to be told how to do something. Good conversation is welcome but direction, not so much. I mean do you tell you mechanic how to do their job or suggest ways to do it that you saw on line or heard from the neighbor.

I think if you communicate what you'd like to accomplish and do not desire a full overhaul, 90% of the pros out there will listen.

Well said....

Back