Can't stop fading my driver

:act-up: Sounds like you have the case of the steeps..and slight open face. The open face is a easier fix..steep can take years..(literally). Being steep is a super hard fault to fix..usually starts at top of backswing, and pulling down steep. Make sure shaft is pointing to left field not right..(lay shaft off at the top).

For a lot of these changes..best to see a local pro.. 1) and most important..avoiding injury 2) they can give you alot of feels and drills to ingrain correct swing sequence 3) camera can be deceiving..having it off just a hair can be the difference between showing steep vs flat

:act-up:..just been a member here for almost a month...and I have to say ..the teaching feedback and tips on here are spot on. You can't do to wrong with what I read so far..

Stand further away from the ball a hair and make sure you aren't just swinging he arms

Thanks, will try standing back from the ball. I might be swinging with the arms more actually for those short 30m pitches that I seem to shank.

I don't shank irons anymore on 4-pw, only on short 30m pitches with my 58 or 60 degree wedges

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

:act-up: Sounds like you have the case of the steeps..and slight open face. The open face is a easier fix..steep can take years..(literally). Being steep is a super hard fault to fix..usually starts at top of backswing, and pulling down steep. Make sure shaft is pointing to left field not right..(lay shaft off at the top).

For a lot of these changes..best to see a local pro.. 1) and most important..avoiding injury 2) they can give you alot of feels and drills to ingrain correct swing sequence 3) camera can be deceiving..having it off just a hair can be the difference between showing steep vs flat

Hi mystery meat

Will check the open face in the mirror, and I assume you mean I'm also coming down too steep on my downswing, and maybe coming in over the top, hence hitting the hosel and shanking?

Not sure what you mean with pointing the shaft left or right though?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

No disrespect but as an FYI, this information is incorrect. Being steep is a very easy fix and adjustment. It has nothing to due with laying of the club at the top of your swing.

I know this is an older post, but I am bit new to this forum and this is something I have been struggling with and trying to fix. I don't know if some of these theories have changed, so any insights here would be appreciated. I have been working on hip turn, bent right elbow and left hand knuckles to the ground.... But still fighting that pesky driver fade, though my irons see be cooperating.

My normal shot shape is a draw so when I'm hitting fades something is way off. For me it always seems to be a less than full shoulder turn and alignment.

Add some weight to the heel side of your driver to slow that side down. With a heavier heel side, the toe side, (being the lighter side), will want to close the clubface slightly FASTER than the heavier heel side through the impact zone which for you should mean a clubface that is LESS OPEN at impact, (fade), and ideally dead square.

Add some weight to the heel side of your driver to slow that side down. With a heavier heel side, the toe side, (being the lighter side), will want to close the clubface slightly FASTER than the heavier heel side through the impact zone which for you should mean a clubface that is LESS OPEN at impact, (fade), and ideally dead square.

I have an adjustable Cobra driver. Do you think it would make sense to dial it in to a draw on the driver adjustment?

I have a driver with extra weight in the heel. While it does help you close the club face we most definitely can still fade/slice this type of driver. IMO you would be better served to think about adjusting your swing path instead of adding weight to the head.

It's either swing path or just late in your release causing it to be open at impact.
I have the same problem and head adjustment never helped.
It was mostly in the release for me.
My left wrist would point slightly up causing the face to be open at impact.
When the left wrist points down the line better results happen.
That pesky left wrist cupped at the top of your back swing will yield the same problem.

I've embraced my fade this year. Actually hitting it straighter once I stopped trying to fix it.

What helped me turn my slice into a very manageable fade, if not straight shot, was to swing to the right with the driver. I know it's counter intuitive, but getting to the top of my backswing and then feeling like I was going to try to hit the ball as far to the right as I could helped to get me on far less of an out to in path. Shifting weight to start the downswing though is a big part of it though, and not hanging back.

Play your fade. It's a great shot. I've had a fade for 15 years now. I aim for the left side fairway/rough border and the ball gently fades back into the fairway. Sometimes it goes straight but I'm still in good shape.....most of the time.... Few holes here and there where I cant aim to the left due to objects know as trees will be in my way. But it's rare. I just try to make sure I feel my shirt with the inside of my right elbow.

I was just about to ask what's wrong with playing a fade? As long as it's consistent and not a slice, i say go with it.

I was just about to ask what's wrong with playing a fade? As long as it's consistent and not a slice, i say go with it.

Nothing if that the shape you need or want.
You lose a little distance but otherwise a good shot shape.

Nothing if that the shape you need or want.
You lose a little distance but otherwise a good shot shape.

I wouldn't mind a slight fade, but mine can get a bit extreme... Bordering on the slice.

I saw one video where they were saying to get turnover of the hands earlier befor impact to close the face. Just wondering if this causes more issues with flipping the club. I'll definitely take the suggestion on swinging more to right. I am also thinking that I may be getting too much weight forward. But then again, I think I may want to get some lessons in person.

I wouldn't mind a slight fade, but mine can get a bit extreme... Bordering on the slice.

I saw one video where they were saying to get turnover of the hands earlier befor impact to close the face. Just wondering if this causes more issues with flipping the club. I'll definitely take the suggestion on swinging more to right. I am also thinking that I may be getting too much weight forward. But then again, I think I may want to get some lessons in person.

How about you get your swing on video and let me take a look or have I already done so? Stop looking for a fix and let me try to assist.

How about you get your swing on video and let me take a look or have I already done so? Stop looking for a fix and let me try to assist.

Thanks, Freddie! I have never posted a video yet, so I will do that. I'll try to get a video posted here on the site in the next day. I appreciate the help.

Back