Distances changed

cfugate

Golf God...........I wish
Reaction score
Handicap
Around 20
I started playing in 09 and by last winter I had my distances with irons and wedges down. I was consistent with them for almost a year, until this fall. My distances:

5i 200
6i 190
7i 175
8i 165
9i 150
pw 140
49 niblick 130
sw 100-110
lw 85

Everything was fine until I went out one day and was hitting almost everything short. My gaps suddenly look like this:

5i 200
6i 180
7i 160
8i 150
9i 140
pw 125
49n 105
sw 80
lw 70

I didnt try to change my swing, didnt do anything different on purpose. My ball position is the same, in the middle of my stance for every iron or wedge. I did notice that I was no longer taking a divot, I was picking every ball clean. I still hit the driver the same, maybe even farther, I push at least one per round past 300. Any insight would be much appreciated. If there is some drill or thought process that would help I'm all for it.

The fact that you are loosing some distance and you are picking it clean has me thinking that you are starting to flip at the bottom. Meaning your hands are not getting out in front of the ball and you are no longer hitting down into the ball but sweeping it off of the deck. Next time you are out at the range set up the same as always, but from here try to hit knock down/punch shots. This will get you the feel back of getting the hands back out in front. Try it out and let me know what happens.

maybe your just getting older?

maybe your just getting older?

I found that I really had to work at regaining a sufficient level of physicality in order to remain competitive. Sure, once your age really climbs you are probably ready for the granny tees but long before then be prepared to spend some time trying to keep your muscles from turning to mush.

I'm 24, so that shouldn't be the problem. The hands in front thing sounds like it's probably the right of it. When I get to a range in the next couple of weeks I will report back.

I'm 24, so that shouldn't be the problem. The hands in front thing sounds like it's probably the right of it. When I get to a range in the next couple of weeks I will report back.

Ok but take it easy you're not 23 anymore...:rotfl:

Back