13 Degree 3 Woods..Anyone Use One?

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
I currently use a Nike Machspeed 15 degree 3 wood. I hit it in the 220 yard range. I am thinking about getting one of the 13 degree 3 woods. To the people that used them:

- Are they much harder to hit?
- How much extra distance do you get over a 15 degree 3 wood?

OEM Kevin had some great success with the new Cleveland FL Ultralite 3W in 13°. Not sure which thread the information is, but I'm sure he will post his thoughts.

Are you fitted for the shaft that is in that 3 wood? Being fitted could offer more distance and more accuracy
I currently use a Nike Machspeed 15 degree 3 wood. I hit it in the 220 yard range. I am thinking about getting one of the 13 degree 3 woods. To the people that used them:

- Are they much harder to hit?
- How much extra distance do you get over a 15 degree 3 wood?

i play a 13* 3 wood because i love the versatility it gives on both the tee and the fairway. i find that i only use it on long par 5's and tight driving holes, but it fits my game just right

i have sonartec with a ys shaft . used to have a cleveland quad pro

Are you fitted for the shaft that is in that 3 wood? Being fitted could offer more distance and more accuracy

I just use the stock shaft.

I just use the stock shaft.

I use the Machspeed 3 wood with "Axivcore made by Nike" stockshaft 70gr, too.
I really like the club, becaus it is very forgiving and straight. But I need more distance, too.

After reading the good comments on Miyazaki shafts, I asked Miyazaki Japan (with my LM data), which shaft could be an upgrade. Miyazaki recommended the Kusala Silver 61.

Maybe there are some other forum members, which reshafted a Nike machspeed 3 wood.

I'm planning to have a 13-ish put in my bag this year. Gonna go driver-13-rescue (17-18 degrees) and then 3-PW-SW-LW.

I switched to a 13* 3 wood from a 15* solely for the purpose of getting a few extra yards off the tee. When researching my decision to switch I found that I rarely if ever used my 3 wood off the deck on a par 5. I am long enough off the tee that it was almost never necessary to hit 3 wood second shot. Whereas there are plenty of holes(short par 4s, narrow holes, etc.) where it behooves me to drive a ball around 250yds with accuracy so enter the 13* or "strong" 3 wood as it it sometimes referred to. So since I hit a 3 wood pretty well off the tee I decided to choose the extra yards off the tee versus play off a fairway.

Mine is 13*. A good 15 yards longer off the tee and still impossible to hit off the ground for me.

I actually compromised, i wanted the distance of the 13* and the easiness of hitting from the deck of the 15* so I just bought the R11 TP 3 wood at 14*, it works out for me it's still about 20 yards longer than my previous 3 wood, it has a Fujikura Motore F3 80g shaft and I get a nice low launching shot that rises to it's peak but stays flat. Great wood to use in the wind. I love the piercing ball flight. Plus it's versatile since I can easily make it into a 15* or a 13* wood with the FST, I'm happy with it.

Back