I guess I'll post in here. Anyone watching the IIHF game? Canada is owning the USA right now, but it's far from over.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.
I am watching it but I am about to change it to watch the Kings game. Going to watch the end later. So far not so good for the kids.

Interesting about the All-star game this year. They aren't doing the Eastern vs Western Conference but picking 2 captains that will pick the rest of their team.

It'll be interesting who the captains will be and how smart they pick their teams.

How did Quick really get snubbed for the all star game? He hasnt been hot lately but I believe he still has the second lowest GAA.
Also Jack Johnson deserved to be there.

Theres a ton of good goalies in the NHL. Never has panned out well for all the goalies. Big names get remembered.
How did Quick really get snubbed for the all star game? He hasnt been hot lately but I believe he still has the second lowest GAA.

So what did everyone think of Doughtys hit on Taylor Hall the other night? People are still talking about it around here because Simmonds got hurt in the dog pile.
[YOUTUBE]8Q87_VKEWwE[/YOUTUBE]
Im saying it was a clean hit. Doughty led with the hip and Hall had his head down.

So what did everyone think of Doughtys hit on Taylor Hall the other night? People are still talking about it around here because Simmonds got hurt in the dog pile.
Im saying it was a clean hit. Doughty led with the hip and Hall had his head down.

It looked pretty clean to me, Hall had his head too far down. I don't know how a good sport like hockey has come to this babying state of being!

Brutal and clean hit. Absolutely loved it, almost more than the Kings awesome alternate jerseys.

It looked pretty clean to me, Hall had his head too far down. I don't know how a good sport like hockey has come to this babying state of being!
I understand sticking up for your team mates but its getting pretty over dramatic now a days. This used to only happen when guys like Gretzky got hit. Now its anybody on the team.
Brutal and clean hit. Absolutely loved it, almost more than the Kings awesome alternate jerseys.
The purple and gold look awesome. Sounds like the Kings are going to change up all of the jerseys next season.

There's one good thing about fighting after huge hits - LINE BRAWLS.

There needs to be less fighting, but more brutal fighting. If your gonna fight, make it mean something, do some damage. Enough of this facewashing stuff.

There's one good thing about fighting after huge hits - LINE BRAWLS.

Didnt the Oilers get into a line brawl this year?
Its funny, I still get as excited in my 30s as I did in my early teens when a fight breaks out.

Sorry to disagree but his skates left the ice so I call it a dirty hit. Just my opinion. :smile:

Sorry to disagree but his skates left the ice so I call it a dirty hit. Just my opinion. :smile:

No worries. Did you watch the reverse angle? It looks like he leaves the ice after the hit.

When I watch it starting at the 1:06 mark it looks to me like he is starting his jump into the hit at the same time contact is made. Also the way he comes out of the hit his feet didn't leave the ice due to the hit but because he jumped into the hit. To me these have always been dirty hits. Even when Scott Stevens made some of his big hits, he jumped into them but his skates didn't leave the ice until after the contact. Technically, not against the rules (at least at Stevens time not too sure about now) but still dirty.
I get baffled with the NHL these days. They spend so much time calling questionable hooking penalties but refuse to call blatant hits from behind or boarding penalties that I don't understand what they're thinking.

When I watch it starting at the 1:06 mark it looks to me like he is starting his jump into the hit at the same time contact is made. Also the way he comes out of the hit his feet didn't leave the ice due to the hit but because he jumped into the hit. To me these have always been dirty hits. Even when Scott Stevens made some of his big hits, he jumped into them but his skates didn't leave the ice until after the contact. Technically, not against the rules (at least at Stevens time not too sure about now) but still dirty.
I get baffled with the NHL these days. They spend so much time calling questionable hooking penalties but refuse to call blatant hits from behind or boarding penalties that I don't understand what they're thinking.

I agree that hits from behind and boarding penalties are wrong. I think the rule states you have to leave your feet before you make contact, so that holding true, why would it be a dirty, "illegal", hit if it's not against the rules?

Nice clean hit to me, but this has been the problem with hockey lately. Every time there is a big hit, clean or not there is a scrum. A clean hit is a clean hit and there is no reason to get in a scrum about it.

And since Stevens name was brought up, IMO one of the dirtiest players to ever play the game. Every one of his hits were to the head and would be illegal now. If he were playing today, I bet he would be serving a 25 game suspension right now :act-up:

let's go buffalo! :banana:

The fighting after all hits has got to change. It just seems ridiculous. If the hit was legal, there's no need for a fight. And even if the hit was illegal, sometimes the fight ends up with a pile on the guy that was hurt to begin with. Fighting just isn't what it used to be, what it used to stand for. It used to be one of those intimidation factors, no it's just a response to not getting your way!

I agree that hits from behind and boarding penalties are wrong. I think the rule states you have to leave your feet before you make contact, so that holding true, why would it be a dirty, "illegal", hit if it's not against the rules?

To me, it's just one of those *gasp* unwritten rules. :laugh: I've been watching hockey since 75, played but nothing really organized, and my Dad played for a long time until he blew out his knee. Leaving you feet at any point in the check is just not something you do. I love good hits and good fights (fighting needs to stay in hockey, in my opinion, since then you end up with European hockey that is more violent with the sticks than anything I've seen in N. America) and am all for knocking the crap out of someone but trying (or through negligence) to injure ("Are you hurt or are you injured" "What's the difference?" "If you're hurt you can still play." wish I remembered what movie that was from, anyone?) someone is just dirty to me. But that is just my stance on it. I cannot look at that hit and say it was clean even if it is within the rules.

C ault you should be in the "best hitter in the NHL" thread, I voice your exact points over there. Good points and I agree whole heartedly.

C ault you should be in the "best hitter in the NHL" thread, I voice your exact points over there. Good points and I agree whole heartedly.

I think I put a short post in that thread and remember your post (didn't exactly remember who posted it but remembered you got some flak about unwritten rules, hence the gasp :D). Is there a dirtiest play in the game thread? My vote goes to Darius Kasparitis. :D

And since Stevens name was brought up, IMO one of the dirtiest players to ever play the game. Every one of his hits were to the head and would be illegal now.

ROFL, yeah, EVERYone of his hits were to the head. Watched much Devils hockey besides the Top 10 Stevens hits?

I think almost everyone of his hits were to the head. Definitely over 75% of his open icers.
ROFL, yeah, EVERYone of his hits were to the head. Watched much Devils hockey besides the Top 10 Stevens hits?

I think I put a short post in that thread and remember your post (didn't exactly remember who posted it but remembered you got some flak about unwritten rules, hence the gasp :D). Is there a dirtiest play in the game thread? My vote goes to Darius Kasparitis. :D

I agree about the unwritten rules in any sport and it usually comes down to respect. I just dont see it on that hit. Hall had his head down and was leaning way to far forward, plus he left his feet after the hit. Im sure my homerism is blinding my judgement but if it was dirty why didnt the refs call it? I dont think the league even reviewed it and Hall is one of the rising stars that the NHL needs.

Its all for not anyways, the Kings are really stinking it up right now.

Back