San Diego Courses

That is alot of area, care to be a bit more specific? Coast or inland? Where between the two will you be? How much want to spend?

I will be landing in SD and driving to LA for a business meeting. No particular route to get there by Sunday evening. More interested in playing nice courses. Have 3 days to play golf. Any thing under $150 is ok.

Balboa Park is nice as well as the course on Coronado Island.

Other the Torrey Pines what other courses would you recommend between SD and LA.

so, basically you mean Orange County right? I used to live there sorry like 10 years ago and I remember the city of Irvine had 3 good courses for cheap. (Well they were cheap back then when I was a student at UC Irvine). Sorry this isn't that helpful but in case no one offers up any other advice you could start there. Irvine and Tustin were nice. Newport courses are really nice and therefore more expensive.

I've heard Strawberry Farms is pretty good, its in Irvine. Tustin Ranch is nice, but its $110.

I've heard Strawberry Farms is pretty good, its in Irvine. Tustin Ranch is nice, but its $110.

Strawberry Farms that was the name of one of them. I used to live two blocks down from that place.

A couple of the top of my head in OC are

Mile Square Golf course in Fountain Valley - Two Courses
Costa Mesa Country Club - 2 courses
Big Recreation in Long Beach.

Where in LA is your meeting?

San Diego: Rancho Bernardo, Steele Canyon, Barona, Sycuan, Riverwalk
Temecula: Temecula Creek, Redhawk, Rancho California (Formerly SCGA), Golf Club at Glen Ivy(formerly Trilogy at Glen Ivy)
OC: Tijeras Creek, Arroyo Trubuco, Strawberry Farms, Oak Creek, Tustin Ranch, Black Gold
LA: Rancho Park, Los Verdes, Malibu CC, Angeles National, Long Beach courses: Rec Park 18, Skylinks, El Dorado

Los Verdes has some great views of the ocean and Catalina on a clear day, but it might take 6hrs to play a round there. Rancho Park is where they used to host the LA Open back in the 60s and 70s. On the 18th there is a plaque describing how Arnie had a 12 there during the tournament. It's not far from your meeting in MDR. If you want somewhere really close to your meeting there's 9 holes at Penmar and 18 hole executive course Westchester right next to LAX.

If you need more info on the courses, Greenskeeper.org is a good place to look.

San Diego: Rancho Bernardo, Steele Canyon, Barona, Sycuan, Riverwalk
Temecula: Temecula Creek, Redhawk, Rancho California (Formerly SCGA), Golf Club at Glen Ivy(formerly Trilogy at Glen Ivy)
OC: Tijeras Creek, Arroyo Trubuco, Strawberry Farms, Oak Creek, Tustin Ranch, Black Gold
LA: Rancho Park, Los Verdes, Malibu CC, Angeles National, Long Beach courses: Rec Park 18, Skylinks, El Dorado

Los Verdes has some great views of the ocean and Catalina on a clear day, but it might take 6hrs to play a round there. Rancho Park is where they used to host the LA Open back in the 60s and 70s. On the 18th there is a plaque describing how Arnie had a 12 there during the tournament. It's not far from your meeting in MDR. If you want somewhere really close to your meeting there's 9 holes at Penmar and 18 hole executive course Westchester right next to LAX.

If you need more info on the courses, Greenskeeper.org is a good place to look.

That's a great site, gives you tips on every hole, let's you know if the greens are being aerated, deals, etc.

Hmm - the OP said under $150 is fine, which opens up quite a range of courses in the SD area. Some of those courses listed earlier are pretty far inland. Traffic will be enough of a pain as it is. Here are some courses that are along your route:

Aviara
Carlsbad Crossings
Twin Oaks is a little inland, but if you go up I-15 and across route 78 back to I-5, it works out.

Also check on Golfnow.com - they have a lot of San Diego golf, and you can catch good discounts.

My buddy plays Strawberry Farms in the OC a lot. I believe it's one of the nicer courses in Orange County.

I really like the courses at the various Indian Reservations. In San Diego, I think Sycuan via Golfnow is one of the best values out there. Willow Glen is my favorite one of the three Sycuan courses. You can usually get morning tee times there for less than $50.

Barona is great. I really enjoy playing this one because there are no houses, just wide open spaces and views around the course. Heading north from San Diego on Interstate 15 I think the Journey at Pechanga is a special treat. You have to check for special deals to get the better prices. Generally if you look you will find something.

One more course to consider is Maderas. Again on Golfnow you can often find rates well under $150.

I believe there are some pretty nice course in the Escondido area. I played at Eagle Crest in January after the hard rains... it was a pretty nice course, would have been nicer if it wasn't still soggy from the rains...

Arrowwood golf course in oceanside, ca is by far the most underrated course in San Diego County. ENJOY!

Balboa park golf course was a nice course and price was very reasonable...

Back