soft stepping and hard stepping a shaft

Mustng5

Reaction score
Handicap
Can someone please explain this to me...

It is a sub flex of the standard shaft flexes. A soft stepped stiff flex with play a little lighter of a flex than your standard stiff flex. Hard stepping works the other way and makes the flex a shade more stout than standard.

It is a sub flex of the standard shaft flexes. A soft stepped stiff flex with play a little lighter of a flex than your standard stiff flex. Hard stepping works the other way and makes the flex a shade more stout than standard.

Thanks Dirt_Guy

FROM GOLFWRX:

OK, probably too much info, but here goes. Taper shafts are designed for individual clubs to give a specific type of performance assuming a headweight within a given range. If the headweight is higher than that range, the shaft will play weaker. If it's lower, then the shaft will play stouter. A single softstep is assembling a set with the 4i shaft in the 5i head - 7gm heavier so it'll play about 2-3 cpm softer - a subtle difference. A double softstep would be assembling with the 4i shaft in the 6i - weaker yet, and a noticeable difference. Hardstepping is the reverse - 5i shaft in the 4i, etc.

Important to note that the above post relates to tapered shafts which can't be tip trimmed, it's much easier to do with raw shafts as you can butt cut to length once the appropriate shaft is in the appropriate head. If it's parallel tips (.370) you can tip trim accordingly ( 5 iron tip trimmed at 4 iron length for soft step and vice-versa)

Thanks guys im thinking about hard stepping some TT S400 shafts...

Thanks guys im thinking about hard stepping some TT S400 shafts...

Why?

Have you done a Mizuno shaft fitting system analysis? If not, don't do anything before doing that. It is outstanding and very accurate.

Why?

Have you done a Mizuno shaft fitting system analysis? If not, don't do anything before doing that. It is outstanding and very accurate.

I'd have to agree with this above statement. It's worth the 10 minutes it takes to get on the Optimizer and let it spit out what shafts should be best. It will recommend soft stepping or hard stepping as well.

I'd have to agree with this above statement. It's worth the 10 minutes it takes to get on the Optimizer and let it spit out what shafts should be best. It will recommend soft stepping or hard stepping as well.

Yeah. The Optimizer is great. I wish I had one.

Will do today, thanks guys!!!

The Mizuno optimizer, in the short time it took to do it, helped my iron shaft selection out immensely. One of the best things I've done for my game.

The Mizuno optimizer, in the short time it took to do it, helped my iron shaft selection out immensely. One of the best things I've done for my game.

For you guys that have done this, how many options did it give you?

It usually spits out three options. Then the idea is for you to test all three shafts, and data will be the deciding factor.

It usually spits out three options. Then the idea is for you to test all three shafts, and data will be the deciding factor.

Thanks TC.

Thanks TC.

No worries. If you can find somewhere that offers this service, you should jump on it. It's very cool and it's very precise.

No worries. If you can find somewhere that offers this service, you should jump on it. It's very cool and it's very precise.

Yea local Golfsmith does it, really kool with the guys on the account of me being in there every week, hahaha....Im having to do this because I was so excited about getting my VR Pro Combos from Japan and instead of being patient and taking the custom route, I told them just ship the clubs, stock shaft S200, no bueno because I had been playing KBS X flex in my my mizunos, S200 shaft is very weak, and ended up having to go back to playing with my mizunos until I can get the shafts changed out, one thing I do love about TT as oppose to KBS, is the way the ball penetrates the wind...KBS shafts dont really have that penetrating ball flight but they are still really good shafts. So I figured since I have to spend might as well do it right this time.

DG X100 it is, in Texas have to have that penetrating ball flight...optimizer gave me X100, project X 6.5, and KBS X

Back