Trying to follow the rules but what would you do here?

Andrew808

Reaction score
Handicap
My tee shot ended up on some gravel but not OB. Me, lately trying to follow the rules as best I can to get a true gauge of my ability, played it and got two nicks on the bottom edge of my brand new (less than 2 weeks of use) Mack Daddy 52 wedge. Now I’m super pissed off at myself. I think next time I’ll carry a beat-up wedge in the bag just for shots like this.

Would you have dropped it on grass and played it with no penalty, or dropped on the grass and penalized yourself a stroke?

EACCE573-9823-4B48-B453-4581947A76E5.jpeg

Depends on the day honestly. If it’s gravel that’s really not supposed to be there, I’d play it Ground Under Repair. If I just hit a shot into a bad place, I’d probably drop and take the penalty.

What do the local rules say about it?

I like the answer from @dazeedmonds. I’m not super interested in smashing up my clubs... those cost a pretty penny and my allowance only goes so far!

My tee shot ended up on some gravel but not OB. Me, lately trying to follow the rules as best I can to get a true gauge of my ability, played it and got two nicks on the bottom edge of my brand new (less than 2 weeks of use) Mack Daddy 52 wedge. Now I’m super pissed off at myself. I think next time I’ll carry a beat-up wedge in the bag just for shots like this.

Would you have dropped it on grass and played it with no penalty, or dropped on the grass and penalized yourself a stroke?

View attachment 8922929
I carry a hybrid for this purpose only (It's nothing but a hook machine for me on a regular shot). BUT if I didn't have a "rock club" I'm dropping it and taking stroke. No way I'm damaging my club to "play it down". F*** all that.

I pay to play, not the other way around. If a shot has even a remote chance of causing damage to the club I won’t hit it.

I have one rule that I follow above all PGA rules. Never hit a ball that could break or damage my club. Sure sometimes that means I should take a penalty, and sometimes I do depending on the situation. But, I am very picky about scratches and marks on my clubs. Hence why I am that PITA that still uses iron covers.

To me, golf is first about enjoying the game and the friends I am playing with. Scoring and competition come a distance second. So, yep I am picking the ball out of the gravel and moving it so my club doesn’t get marked up.

Sucks that that happened to you.

I move the ball 100% of the time unless it's for some sort of tournament or competition where I'll be disqualified.

No point in beating up your clubs. Rather shoot a stroke or two lower than ding my clubs on purpose.

Why was there gravel? Could be considered cart path so you get a free drop.

don’t ruin your clubs in a casual round unless your sponsor will replace them.

That sucks, had 2 similar incidents last year with my Srixon irons hitting out of rough and in both cases easy shot but there was a rock just under surface. 2 irons with some nasty chunks out of them. Anyway, on my home course wherever there is gravel, it is considered ground under repair and get free drop. It only shows up in 2 holes but alongside cart path .

I’d take a stroke before I’d risk damaging a club or injury. Just not worth it, even in tournament play. My sponsor doesn’t replace damaged clubs.

Sorry about the club damage. I would move it every time. Most all of the guys I play with would do the same. Our clubs are expensive

Winter Rules!D6A45A0A-0128-48C5-BA41-1BF5BDC656BD.jpeg

I've never seen a course that gravel is considered to be part of the intended course. As such, I'd have moved it so to not damage the club. One shot vs a lifetime of shots of the damaged iron. No real question there.

Had something similar when I hit by then-new-to-me SM6's. Was at the range hitting them for the first time and my 56 deg hit a rock that was under the grass, denting the face. I was soooooooooooo pissed. The driving range replaced the club for me.

What do the local rules say about it?
I just looked it up online. The closest description says “Rocks defining the boundary of the parking areas shall be played as a Moveable Obstruction”.

But in my case, there would be no way of moving all the rocks without moving the ball

Why was there gravel? Could be considered cart path so you get a free drop.
Sorry I didn’t explain this clearly enough. It wasn’t exactly gravel. It was hard dirt about 5 yards to the right of the cart path but had some gravel-like pebbles sprinkled around. I shouldn’t have played it, just had a brain fart :confused:

View attachment 8922929

Were you playing for money or in a tournament? If not, move that and have fun. We aren’t pros who can go to the tour van and replace a club bc we have to follow the rules and play it as it lies.

Next time move it, penalize yourself or not, and preserve the club .

Last edited:
We’re you playing for money or in a tournament? If not, move that and have fun. We aren’t pros who can go to the tour van and replace a club bc we have to follow the rules and play it as it lies.

Next time move it, penalize yourself or not, and preserve the club .
No, nothing like that. Not playing in a tournament or for money. Just playing with a buddy who used to play in college and is a real stickler for rules. Not blaming it on him though, it was just a lapse in judgment on my part. Am still pissed at myself, I love my new wedges so much...

No, nothing like that. Not playing in a tournament or for money. Just playing with a buddy who used to play in college and is a real stickler for rules. Not blaming it on him though, it was just a lapse in judgment on my part. Am still pissed at myself, I love my new wedges so much...

Next time ask your friend if he is paying for a new club, he might get relaxed on the rules! Lol

seriously though, we all work hard to have the gear we like. moving off rocks, cart path, etc. Seems like the sensible thing to do.

Unless I'm playing in a big tournament in moving it somewhere that I won't wreck a club and I would urge anyone in playing with to do the same. There's no sense in causing damage during a casual round.

I don't play seriously enough to not move it. Avoid damage to club at all costs.

I have a 15th club in my bag for stuff like that. We have couple holes on the home course that have some dirt areas with some rocks that aren't even close to OB so I just use my "rock" club to get out of that.

View attachment 8922929

Wedges and irons are supposed to get dings , consider yours a badge of honor.

Unless it's a tournament I always play by the rule of "I pay to play, I don't get paid to play". Move the ball if it's evident that the club will be damaged or you'll hurt yourself.

If it's not a tournament and your clubs aren't free then tell your playing partner(s) your moving it and save the club damage and possible injury.

Back