Trying to follow the rules but what would you do here?

Just take a drop, take the penalty and move on. You said you were trying to gauge your true ability, well you hit it there. What's the big deal its only a stroke.

Me, I probably would've taken an unplayable, but not because of the nicks on the club. I get nicks worse than that just practicing. I'd take an unplayable if I don't think i control the the shot at all.

I agree with those (few) who said either play it and accept the ding as a badge of honor or move it, take the necessary penalty, and move on if that's what you desire.

I'd have to see the situation and read the local rules a little better. Might even have to ask clarification from the course sup or someone in the know to know for sure what to do, but I'd bet it's a free drop area. I could be wrong, though, and if I was, then I'd proceed under the first sentence above.

There is an area just left of the concrete cart path on our 18th hole just before a bridge over a creek that is nothing but fine gravel. Since we are not in any tournament, but just 3/4 guys out there having fun we act as our own committee and have determined that area to be GUR. I might also point out that our course is not marked with stakes or lines to determine OB or "penalty areas" much less having GUR marked.

The discussion reminds me of the joke about two very competitive guys having a match and agreeing to play the ball down. On one hole, golfer A's ball comes to rest on a concrete cart path. He starts marking where he would be able to take relief when player B says the agreement was to play it down everywhere. So player A grabs a club, takes a couple of practice swings with the clubhead striking the concrete, sparks flying everywhere, then proceeds to hit the shot about 5 feet from the pin. Player B applauds the shot and asks player A what club he hit. Player A responds, "Your 7 iron!".

I would think with the kind of recreational most of us play that there would be some common sense rules. Such as when the ball is lying on gravel you get a free drop of the gravel. I wouldn't want to damage my clubs if I could help it. Just my thoughts.:unsure:

About 8 months after I got back from the Grandaddy, was playing in a tournament and ball came to rest on some gravel that was in play. I considered taking relief but in the end got in there w/ my 60 degree, closed my eyes and got it out. I felt sick immediately. Couple of scrapes on the MD4 but man that was stupid.

I'd drop and take the penalty. I did it just a couple days ago during a good round. Playing partner lost it when I picked it up, but I just told him 'I'm not hitting off of that. It's not worth it.' I don't baby my gear, but like someone else said, clubs aren't cheap.

There are already rules to deal with this very scenario. There's no need to make them up as we go.

I would think with the kind of recreational most of us play that there would be some common sense rules. Such as when the ball is lying on gravel you get a free drop of the gravel. I wouldn't want to damage my clubs if I could help it. Just my thoughts.:unsure:

Take a drop and any penalty. What I hate is our traps up here being so thin that my wedges all look like that! Come on buttheads, put more than a inch of sand over the gravel base! ?

Wasn't implying otherwise.
I will accept your censorship of my comment, sir! And move on.

My apologies. When I hear (or see) the phrase "common sense rules" that makes me think the person feels like the current rules are not good enough. Most likely stems from my interactions with people who don't value our Constitution, but that's another debate all together that no one here wants to have.

As far as your censorship comment, I have no clue where to go with that. I would never try to censor anyone. I welcome all dialogue. In fact, I thrive on debate. I'd never turn down the chance to debate and would never limit one's ability to present their case. My peeve is when people withdraw and refuse to explain why they think, feel, or believe something.

My apologies. When I hear (or see) the phrase "common sense rules" that makes me think the person feels like the current rules are not good enough. Most likely stems from my interactions with people who don't value our Constitution, but that's another debate all together that no one here wants to have.

As far as your censorship comment, I have no clue where to go with that. I would never try to censor anyone. I welcome all dialogue. In fact, I thrive on debate. I'd never turn down the chance to debate and would never limit one's ability to present their case. My peeve is when people withdraw and refuse to explain why they think, feel, or believe something.

I hear what you say and I try to obey all golf rules and just for the sake of conversation I value all the freedoms given to me by the Constitution just as everyone has the same rights. Now as I mentioned I'll move on. God Bless You, Sir!

Last edited:
About 8 months after I got back from the Grandaddy, was playing in a tournament and ball came to rest on some gravel that was in play. I considered taking relief but in the end got in there w/ my 60 degree, closed my eyes and got it out. I felt sick immediately. Couple of scrapes on the MD4 but man that was stupid.
That’s exactly how I felt as soon as I hit it. Only difference is I got it out....directly into the bunker!

Screw that noise. Move it off the gravel no questions asked if playing by yourself or just for fun with other's. During a turny or for money it's all about local rules or what you guys agree on. I definitely would not hit my 2 week old wedge off of that unless absolutely necessary.

I just take the drop and stroke, but it depends on where the gravels are and the local rules. Sometimes you cannot see those gravels under the dirt that can rake your clubs up pretty bad.

Sorry I didn’t explain this clearly enough. It wasn’t exactly gravel. It was hard dirt about 5 yards to the right of the cart path but had some gravel-like pebbles sprinkled around. I shouldn’t have played it, just had a brain fart :confused:
Based on that, you would have to deem it unplayable, move it back on line and take a one stroke penalty

There are some bad USGA rules, but I agree if you want to play by the rules to keep an accurate handicap, you have to apply them good or bad.

I would take a drop and not damage my club!

Badge of honor? That's nonsense to me!

Nobody has said foot wedge yet???

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 Draw Miyazaki C.kua 50 shaft
Callaway Epic Flash 5w Even Flow green 65 reg flex shaft
Ping G410 2,4-6 hybrid UST Recoil F3 shaft
Ping G710 Red dot 7-UW Recoil Smacwrap 780 F4shafts + .25”
Ping G700 Red dot GW,SW Recoil Smacwrap 780 F3 shafts
Ping Glide 3.0 Red dot 54 & 60 wedges Recoil Smacwrap 780 f4 shafts
Odyssey Works Versa 7H CS Putter

You said you were trying to gauge your true ability, well you hit it there.

This is the best response I've seen yet. So, I agree you should have hit the shot. It's just a wedge FFS!

Speaking of hitting the shot, since you did decide to hit the shot and use the wedge and receive the damage..........What was the result?

No, nothing like that. Not playing in a tournament or for money. Just playing with a buddy who used to play in college and is a real stickler for rules. Not blaming it on him though, it was just a lapse in judgment on my part. Am still pissed at myself, I love my new wedges so much...
If your buddy is a stickler for rules, take the appropriate relief and penalty stroke (assuming there's no local rule which grants you free relief). You save your club, and he can sleep soundly that night knowing that no rules were violated.

If a score is to be posted or money or tournament is involved I’ll take a drop with penalty if appropriate. Otherwise I’ll give it a kick and play on

Yeah in a competitive round maybe but probably call pro shop and see if they give ground under repair. Casual round, absolutely move it with out penalty

Back