Favorite hole on home course and why

Flipit

Aka- ApexFan
Reaction score
Handicap
My favorite hole at CoyoteCreek is the Par 5 14th. For me it’s the most difficult hole on the course, although it’s not rated that way. It is a 504 yard dog leg left with 2 big pine trees at about 200 yards out. Once past the trees it bends left. Best play is driver just to the left of the trees and 250 + yards. This sets you up for your next shot, hopefully a 3 wood or hybrid.
If you don’t get it that far a iron is my play. Now my miss on all woods and hybrids is right. Right on this hole is lined with trees then OB.
Anyway this hole tends to give me fits. Once in a while I will pat the hole but not often. However it is my favorite on the course because it rewards good shots. Is your favorite a hole you play well or have a hard time with?

I really don't have a home course I play on per see. During the golfing season I like to play all over. But there is one course that I have been playing for the last 40 years or so and there is on hole that I absolutely love. It's a par 4 dogleg left about 296 yds. To get over to the tee you have to cross over this little raised bridge that goes over a little creek and up a small rise to the tee box. Looking down from the tee box out towards the fairway there are trees on the left all the way to were the fairway turns left toward the green. On the right there is a huge hill the borders the right side of the fairway and then curves away to the west. The challenge is to hit your drive in the opening when opens up at about 270 yds then you're looking at a shot to a raised green. Your second shot is usually a short wedge or something like that. I have a love hate relationship with this hole. In the forty odd years I've played this hole I've been on the green in 2 twice in that forty years. But every time I go and play Cary Country Club this is the hole I look forward to playing the most. I will birdie this hole one of these years I just don't know which year. :LOL:

At the Par 3 here in my subdivision, it's number 3! A 90 yard island green the size of a postage stamp! If the wind is blowing off the inlet, it gets really interesting.

Strange - I just realized I don't have a favorite hole on the home course. I do have a least favorite though...

Number 13 at Bridger Creek. Par 5. Tee box is up high with great views of the valley. Landing area down low and then back up to the green. Dogleg right, ob along the entire right edge. Left side of the green is a steep slope down away from green. Relatively easy hole but plenty of temptation for shots that can easily get into trouble. I always enjoy that hole, comforting, tend to play it well. Views are sweet.

I guess it would have to be the par 5 #12 on Southern Hills. I probably have more pars and birdies (and one eagle) than on any other hole on the course. The fairway is wide open (yet I do tend to miss it about every 4th or 5th time). The green has fair pin placements and is accessible. It is a fun hole.

My favorite hole is #15 at Meadowbrook Farms GC. It's only 325 yds from the back tees, but requires an accurate tee shot. Most long hitters can try to go for it, but the green is only 30yds wide and has a severe drop off on the left side making it a shorter landing are.

The landing area off the fairway is about 40 yds or so, but again you need to have an accurate tee shot to be there. Go long and you have two bunkers waiting to make your life miserable. A Left/Hook off the tee is dead/OB, Right/Slice off the tee and you are in the tall heather that leads to a cluster of woods. (good luck finding your ball) The tee shot has a long fairway bunker up the left side to navigate and if you, in front of that guarding the the green is a sizeable greenside bunker that's below the green/hole.

Meadowbrook 15.JPG

The par 3 5th hole at Bungay Brook. It's where I hit my hole in one a couple years back. Short but tough hole that is all carry with a lot of movement on the green.

My favorite hole is #15 at Meadowbrook Farms GC. It's only 325 yds from the back tees, but requires an accurate tee shot. Most long hitters can try to go for it, but the green is only 30yds wide and has a severe drop off on the left side making it a shorter landing are.

The landing area off the fairway is about 40 yds or so, but again you need to have an accurate tee shot to be there. Go long and you have two bunkers waiting to make your life miserable. A Left/Hook off the tee is dead/OB, Right/Slice off the tee and you are in the tall heather that leads to a cluster of woods. (good luck finding your ball) The tee shot has a long fairway bunker up the left side to navigate and if you, in front of that guarding the the green is a sizeable greenside bunker that's below the green/hole.

I love shorter par 4s like this. It gets the heart of golf.

I love shorter par 4s like this. It gets the heart of golf.

Me too. What I love is that you can't just pull driver, there are some serious consequences on this hole and the fairway slopes right to left into the fairway bunker.

It would have to be Creeks 9, long downhill 554yd par 5, dog left at about 230 yards out. If you can manage to cut the tree lined corner for about 250+ off the tee this leaves you looking at a tight hero shot guarded by a creek in the front, water to the right, and bunker on the left or a layup with at about 110 to attack the double green shared by another awesome downhill par 5 (Oaks 9).

1579271915867.png

230 yard par three island green. Don't be too shocked at the yardage. It is an extremely elevated tee and plays down wind a touch. So it really plays around 190-200. It is a great view and hitting a ball from the elevated tee and watching is fall forever is pretty fun.

1579272323920.png

It's crazy hard par 3, but the 4th hole is just amazing. Raised, tabletop style green and just death to the left. Plays like 170 from the whites.

northumberland-1.jpg

I really need to get a home course. :(

It would have to be Creeks 9, long downhill 554yd par 5, dog left at about 230 yards out. If you can manage to cut the tree lined corner for about 250+ off the tee this leaves you looking at a tight hero shot guarded by a creek in the front, water to the right, and bunker on the left or a layup with at about 110 to attack the double green shared by another awesome downhill par 5 (Oaks 9).

View attachment 8923240
Nice. I like that one.

230 yard par three island green. Don't be too shocked at the yardage. It is an extremely elevated tee and plays down wind a touch. So it really plays around 190-200. It is a great view and hitting a ball from the elevated tee and watching is fall forever is pretty fun.

View attachment 8923242
I’d have a tough time hitting that one.

Would be number 3 for me. Par 3 that plays anywhere from 125 to 165. But it is where I got my HIO.

Par 5 14th hole at my home course. If you drive the ball 250+, there is a hill that will roll your ball another 40 yards. Bonus!!!

If you don't hit down the hill, you could also be set up for a nice 2nd shot to the green.

I have benefitted from the hill one time on that hole. Many other times have made it just to the top of the hill and made some great 2nd shots to the front of the green.

There is a short par 5, 450ish yards, where the entire right side of the fairway is lined by a pond that eventually wraps around the back side of the green. One of those holes that is just as easy to birdie as it is to double...

I don't think there's a hole at my course where I think, "This is a really good hole." Some of them are worse than others, but nothing outstanding about any of them.

Number 7, par 4 no more than 300 yards for me, dogleg left to a small narrow green and my nemesis hole on the Beau Rivage golf course :mad:

It kills me nearly every time and the only hole on the course I really think about when playing it, so I'm owning it as my favourite until I boss it :cool:

#7 MeadowWood GC.
500 yard par 5 from the white tees.
Dogleg left with a big bunker protecting the inside of the corner.
If you feel froggy and want to jump on a drive that can carry 255 to clear the bunker, you have a good chance of getting home in 2. But....OB all down the left, big bunker series right of the green, cross bunkers 100 yrds short of the green and deep rough and trees all down the righ side of the 2nd shot. Deep green sloping from back to front. I've had many 50 foot eagle putts and have yet to make one of those. I have had a few eagles but way more birds.

16.png

#16 is a par 4; scorecard says 317 from the white tee and 332 from the blue tee. It is the #6 handicap hole, playing to the course's smallest green at ~2150 sq ft.

The yellow line is 185 yds. It's a slightly aggressive line, leaving about 120 yds, uphill, to the center of the green. The gap between those 2 trees is 10-12 yards wide. If you're a little long off the tee, the huge tree near the green blocks the right third. If you're short, well, good luck.

Last edited:
My favorite hole at my home course is probably the 5th. It's a shorter par 4 that offers risk/reward if going for the green from the tee. Green is elevated with a bunker short right and a steep drop off to the left. Can go 6i wedge and have a good shot at birdie/par or take on the challenge and bring eagle/bogey into the conversation.

Back