thank you...love this guy. I think he misses his brother (our pyrenees we had to let go last month :cry: )
They definitely know when part of their pack is gone.
Bassets are such characters, definitely have a unique personality.

They definitely know when part of their pack is gone.
Bassets are such characters, definitely have a unique personality.

true. he's just a grumpy loaf of bread...

I am dealing with a bit of a doozy with my lab...

When we were home for Christmas, my dog, and my sisters dog, got into a bit of a fight over a bone.

Long story short... my sisters dog had my dog by the upper shoulder area, and it took quite a lot of time and effort to separate them. A couple of weeks went by, and nothing seemed wrong, she was playful, happy, and no ill effects to speak of, minus a small mark where my sisters dogs teeth went in.

Fast forward a few days, I was giving her a bath and noticed a softball size "growth" on her shoulder, right where the bite was. Turns out, she got a Seroma due to the dog bite. A shave, incision, and drain later.. and she is on antibiotics and pain meds, and things seem to be improving. I am glad it wasn't infected, and it doesn't appear to be causing her any harm, but was scary there for a bit.

I am dealing with a bit of a doozy with my lab...

When we were home for Christmas, my dog, and my sisters dog, got into a bit of a fight over a bone.

Long story short... my sisters dog had my dog by the upper shoulder area, and it took quite a lot of time and effort to separate them. A couple of weeks went by, and nothing seemed wrong, she was playful, happy, and no ill effects to speak of, minus a small mark where my sisters dogs teeth went in.

Fast forward a few days, I was giving her a bath and noticed a softball size "growth" on her shoulder, right where the bite was. Turns out, she got a Seroma due to the dog bite. A shave, incision, and drain later.. and she is on antibiotics and pain meds, and things seem to be improving. I am glad it wasn't infected, and it doesn't appear to be causing her any harm, but was scary there for a bit.
That is scary for sure. Glad she will be okay.

That is scary for sure. Glad she will be okay.

Me too. She is about 10 now, so not a spring chicken. She is as happy as ever, and it has really decreased in size. my guess is by the end of the week you won't even notice with the exception of the shave they did.

First I had to put a blanket down because the chair on its own wasn’t soft enough for him. But then he does this. It will never stop being funny to me. How is this comfortable? And also, where am I supposed to sit?

View attachment 8924195
He's telling you "where is my pillow ?" ?

Me too. She is about 10 now, so not a spring chicken. She is as happy as ever, and it has really decreased in size. my guess is by the end of the week you won't even notice with the exception of the shave they did.

Just an update here.. It is basically completely gone :)

So glad this appears to be behind us.

Cooper update: adopted this massive cyclone of energy from DFW Lab Rescue a few months ago. Sweet at night and when he’s done playing. Annoyingly in your face when he wants to play fetch or tug of war. We are having a lot of fun with him and he scraps/gets along/loves our other dog Jax. We keep hearing that from year 2-3 that breed chills out more so we are waiting patiently, sort of, for that day to arrive. He’s 1 yr 6 months now so there’s still a lot of puppy in him. He does all he can to be a good boy and that’s all we can ask.
d1e824f62220d1ab7da01c1cd8efcac2.jpg
e643d934a4a7166e3deb1c8e3edcf7eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burritos for everyone.
IMG_20191214_102701.jpg
And somehow I ended up with half a dog.
IMG_20200119_205450.jpg

Cooper update: adopted this massive cyclone of energy from DFW Lab Rescue a few months ago. Sweet at night and when he’s done playing. Annoyingly in your face when he wants to play fetch or tug of war. We are having a lot of fun with him and he scraps/gets along/loves our other dog Jax. We keep hearing that from year 2-3 that breed chills out more so we are waiting patiently, sort of, for that day to arrive. He’s 1 yr 6 months now so there’s still a lot of puppy in him. He does all he can to be a good boy and that’s all we can ask.

Good luck with that, my lab chilled out when she was about 6!!! Just keep em occupied with lots of toys. Great looking pups.

Bacco is a flat coated retriever, 3.5 years old and serves as my icon here. Great breed!

Good luck with that, my lab chilled out when she was about 6!!! Just keep em occupied with lots of toys. Great looking pups.

6???!!! Uggghhh....

My Stella!

20200122_203630.jpg

Cute lab - they are the best - we got ours from the local DC area lab rescue. Labs are high energy and yes once he reaches three he will mellow out - ours did for sure. Just exercise plenty - and if you are not doing it already closely monitor his weight. Labs do better when they are on the lean side - they live longer too. Ours was diagnosed with hip dysplasia when when he was about 4 - due to keeping him lean is still going strong at 11.

Cute lab - they are the best - we got ours from the local DC area lab rescue. Labs are high energy and yes once he reaches three he will mellow out - ours did for sure. Just exercise plenty - and if you are not doing it already closely monitor his weight. Labs do better when they are on the lean side - they live longer too. Ours was diagnosed with hip dysplasia when when he was about 4 - due to keeping him lean is still going strong at 11.

Cute lab indeed. I wanted to adopt one too, but then I stumbled upon this pup in a local shelter. He reminded me of my dog from childhood, I could not resist and eventually returned with him at home. Meet Charlie. He's cute a very clever pup, though with some psychological issues. After some googling and asking a fellow veterinarian I decided to get him the best crate for dog with separation anxiety because he has some symptoms. Also I think he needs a dog trainer.
82339162_473597713323249_2755245998184812599_n.jpg

Last edited:
Cute lab indeed. I wanted to adopt one too, but then I stumbled upon this pup in a local shelter. He reminded me of my dog from childhood, I could not resist and eventually returned with him at home. Meet Charlie. He's cute a very clever pup, though with some psychological issues. After some googling and asking a fellow veterinarian I decided to get him the best crate for dog with separation anxiety because he has some symptoms. Also I think he needs a dog trainer.
View attachment 8924311
Cute PUP ...... He's going to be a BIG Boy !!!!

Good advice: thanks! He loves to eat but he burns a ton of calories

This was Myles when he was a pup and his then big brother. Oh how the tables have turned.IMG_20170203_123546.jpgIMG_20180120_133947.jpg

I could use some good thoughts for my pup Tigger. He's around 14 now and hasn't wanted to eat much for the last few days. We took him to the vet and his kidney numbers were extremely elevated. I knew that his kidneys were starting to go bad from age but the vet seems to think it was extremely elevated due to the fact he hasn't been eating much. They kept him for an IV to get fluids back in him as well as putting him on some anti inflammatory drugs. He seemed to have some neck pain that the vet thought that he wasn't wanting to eat because it hurt to bend down to the bowl.

I went to visit him tonight and he still wasn't wanting to eat but he did eat a little bit while I was there. I'm hoping he'll have a better day tomorrow since it's only been 24 hours on the drugs and fluids. The plan is for us to pick him up on Saturday. I know at his age I may not have much time with him but I'm hoping he can recover from this because he's been such a good dog.

Back