Revisiting the Flagstick Rule: Are you still in, or out?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
A year later, what’s your status when it comes to the flagstick rule? Are you in, or out? Why?

Think we will see this one changed back anytime soon? Why?

Discuss!

I never pull it anymore. Pulling it just kind of died off as the year went by in all the groups I play in.

I don’t bother pulling it unless my playing partners want to or it seems like the pin is obstructing my focus.

I'm still basically indifferent. I'm confident I've been screwed by both an equal amount (i.e. where I wish I had done the opposite so the ball would have been in the hole).

I'm still basically indifferent. I'm confident I've been screwed by both an equal amount (i.e. where I wish I had done the opposite so the ball would have been in the hole).

Yep. Same for me. I do like it out on the shorter putts, the hole just looks bigger visually.

I only pull it if it's leaning towards me, I feel like it has a higher chance of bouncing off ... Otherwise it stays in

Im either way but we play it in most of the time

In for the long ones, out for the short ones. I like to take a peek from the other side of the hole on the make-able ones and I find that the flagstick is visually annoying when it's in the way.

Finding I'm leaving the flagstick in more of the time than pulling it.

I only leave it in on downhill putts....I pull it for everything else

Pretty much the same as when the rule changed in that I pull out 95% of the time and keep it in for severe downhill putts or if I'm very far away and too lazy to go pull it.

Always left it in on solo rounds even before the change, now I've gotten our group to leave it in on most shots. Only pull it on the real short ones.

I generally leave the flagstick in almost entirely now. I do like to pull it when less than 3 feet just because it’s easier for me to grab the ball out of the hole with the flagstick out.

If I am playing putts automatic “a gimme“ then the flagstick stays in always.

Agree with a couple posts that I feel like a time or two the flagstick hurt me and vice versus on no flagstick.

I hope they don’t change the rule back. Just easier to walk up to the green and putt without having to worry about pulling the flagstick or attending for others.

It’s about 80% in on putts over about 5 feet and 50-50 out on shorter ones in the group I usually play in. That’s a staggering improvement from this time last year when I was the only one going with it at all. Personally, I’m about 90% in on all putts.

Leave it in if playing solo or others that leave it in. Out if playing partners prefer to pull it. Really don't have a definitive preference either way.

In for long ones and usually pull for shorter.

I don’t care either way except for one thing - damage to the lip. The clean, crisp cuts I use to see are gone.

I generally have no problem with it being left in. But, when playing with others will defer to whatever they choose to do.

In and out. I haven’t experienced anything that makes me worry about putting with the flag in, but I still like to pull it for short and medium putts when I am in focus mode. If I’m playing fast I never take the flag out. I don’t know ghat I have a preference either way. Mostly habit.

I usually keep it in. I haven’t had any that I felt kicked it out. Sometimes I might pull it just to hear that ball dropping in the cup sound.

I don’t care either way except for one thing - damage to the lip. The clean, crisp cuts I use to see are gone.
I agree but is that from the flag or people using their putter to gouge the ball out of the cup so they don’t have to bend over?

Leave it in for fun rounds.

Any competitive round I take it out inside of 10 feet. Leave it in outside of that.

At my hoe course I had some issues with putting with flag in and the ball bounced off

I agree but is that from the flag or people using their putter to gouge the ball out of the cup so they don’t have to bend over?
Reaching into the cup to grab the ball with fingers. Think about it. I almost always graze the side of the cup when I reach in with the flag still there. While my one motion doesn’t affect it much, the same action done over and over frays the hole. Then the ones that still try and reach in with the putter or the suction cup flat out tear the lip up.

Back