Golf is a game of tradition, what should change or stay the same?

I agree with this. There are many things about golf that should never change, but it's not because of tradition, it's because they are great without needing to appeal to tradition. The flagstick is a great example. It only relied on tradition and now that the rule has changed 99% of people don't care whether it's in or out. OB is another one. It's a tradition that no one even plays anymore. I haven't played in any group since high school golf matches that has played OB as stroke and distance. Even in tournaments they make a local rule for lateral hazard. It's like the OB rule is so stupid the tradition has become to skirt that rule ?.

Wow I don’t see that in Minnesota or when I was in California for 20 years. OB is way less common than a lost ball in woods or a hazard on many courses but all my regular golf buddies and 80% of the golfers that I get randomly paired with will hit a provisional if they think their ball is O.B. All of the club and other tournaments I’ve played in have left the normal O.B. Rule in place.

Stay: The integrity that comes with self policing. Too bad not all have this mentality (speaking in terms of all golfers, not just pros) but good for those that do.

Go: On tour - not penalizing slow play equally across the board and not allowing shorts to be worn in tournaments.

I am one that believes in tradition. Yet, the one that I usually don’t play in golf is honor off the tee.

Generally, I play ready golf. If you are ready to hit go right ahead and hit away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes 100%! Play ready, honors for birdies or better but just get up there and hit!

Tradition is good. I know it has been beat to death, but I would like to see the pin issue changed back. Take the stick out for putting so there is no issues.
Keeping it in speeds up the pace in my experience. That said i have no issues when someone in the group likes to pull it.

Change: Enforce pace of play with marshalls and on tour. Relax dress codes at least for shorts. Work to make the game more inclusive to people of different backgrounds.

Same: I love just about everything else

It should stay a game played by gentlemen and gentlewomen with grace, proper etiquette and good humor

I see a lot of people indicating forcing pace of play, but I think that is challenging issue. We all deal with ready golf, but I have different thoughts about pace of play. When folks are disrespectful, stretching on tee boxes, standing around chatting, over in the woods hunting balls, and holding up others without any decent reason then to me that is wrong.

However, there is something to be said about the fact that we pay our money to play and should get a reasonable amount of time with our game. What sets the level of paced play? How can a standard really be set as it would really depend on how busy courses are. I know some are rolling out golfers at 6-8 minute intervals, plus they will add walk-ups, and it can become really messy and can turn into a 5 hour round.

Id personally like to see the game go back to wound balls, persimmon woods and blades only. Modern gear takes some of the skill out of the game. Every time I play my persimmon woods and blade irons from the 1930s (Spaldings with pyratone shafts) Im reminded of how amazing today's gear really is.
Im also old-fashioned in that I think golf is a game that should be played walking, music should not be allowed on the course and jeans are expressly forbidden on the course.
Join the Hickory Society...…………….

Out law ball retrievers during play! If you feel the need to go ball mining, don't do it during the busiest time of the day! :mad:

I’m for jeans on the course. Why not? They’re everywhere nowadays.

I love it the way it is.

I’m shocked you didn’t lead with making cutoff jean shorts mandatory for all golfers because it makes you feel the most comfortable?

Enforcing pace of play needs to be done better on every course. Move it along people!

Join the Hickory Society...…………….
I actually do have a hickory set that I very much enjoying playing from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure slow play is not a tradition.

I think the game was played a lot faster when it was first conceived.

I consider myself a "traditional player". I have played it the same way for a few decades. I like the old traditions of the game. I'd prefer they never change.

The one negative tradition I'd like to see disappear is the one associated with "eliteism". It seems to be changing for the better, but I still, on occassions, run across the golfer who thinks their "stuff" doesn't stink, because of their lower handicap, and/or their higher standing in the game of golf. The golfer, who for what ever reason, looks down on other golfers. These types, give golf a bad rep in my book.

I think not playing for a couple decades let me shed my original beliefs on all the place of 'traditions' in golf.

Stay:

- Like @Sox_Fan said, being and taking responsibility for your own score and playing within the rules. Honor systems breed integrity.
- Respect and appreciation for the origins of it
- The tee it forward initiative. Newish, but make this a 'tradition', please.

Go:

- The air of privilege and superiority. I know of no sport more 'get off my lawn' than golf. Everything I love about it runs contrary to some of the traditional beliefs and behaviors that still permeate it. The general judgement of others on everything from race, to sex, to income, to attire, etc. etc. is something I'm far more aware of at this stage in my life.

- Slow play debate. It's an issue or it isn't. It won't change without consequence. Penalize it for real or stfu about it. Just seems like another thing they're responding to a glacial pace out of fear of change or upsetting tradition.

- The dress code stuff. It's like a guy on a sinking boat refusing to let go of the anchor. Shorts don't change the game. Let public and peer influence, and individual clubs decide it. Look at some of the stuff that's been worn within the rules. The battle's been lost.

For my tastes, most tradition has been pretty much trashed already.

And from my perspective, not too many modern players miss it.

The choice for the senior player is to either live with the new ways or to allow one's golf life to wind down.

Go:

- Slow play debate. It's an issue or it isn't. It won't change without consequence. Penalize it for real or stfu about it. Just seems like another thing they're responding to a glacial pace out of fear of change or upsetting tradition.
This big time, they need be put on the clock for this slow play penalty stuff. Either make a ruling and enforce it or give up.

I’m for jeans on the course. Why not? They’re everywhere nowadays.
Interestingly enough around here most courses allow jeans in the winter time. Few would say much about year round.

Shirts should stay the F**K tucked in, dammit! Ask me how I really feel.

haha Okay. I sense the passion. But....

Shirts Traditionally Worn Untucked
  • T-shirts
  • polo shirts
  • rugby shirts
  • henley shirts
  • short-sleeved, button-fronted sport shirts (but check the hem)
  • tank tops and other sleeveless shirts
  • Breton tops
  • guayaberas
  • Hawaiian and other vacation shirts
-----------------------------------------------------------------
  • A short, even hem like that seen on polos and T-shirts is made to be worn untucked

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have a fair amount of these more fitted polos that aren't really designed to be tucked in and are quite nice. They're not slovenly, I swear.

haha Okay. I sense the passion. But....

Shirts Traditionally Worn Untucked
  • T-shirts
  • polo shirts
  • rugby shirts
  • henley shirts
  • short-sleeved, button-fronted sport shirts (but check the hem)
  • tank tops and other sleeveless shirts
  • Breton tops
  • guayaberas
  • Hawaiian and other vacation shirts
-----------------------------------------------------------------
  • A short, even hem like that seen on polos and T-shirts is made to be worn untucked

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have a fair amount of these more fitted polos that aren't really designed to be tucked in and are quite nice.
Question: Have you ever seen a polo player wear an untucked shirt? I haven't.

Perhaps that fashion guide is referring to polo inspired shirts. A Golf shirt is a golf shirt.:cool:

Not a hill I would choose to die on, but I've always thought not stepping on someone's putting line is kind of silly tradition.

I don't mind jeans on the course, especially in the cooler months. Especially in the winter months when it's cold I like to wear flannel lined jeans. Just treat the course and other players with respect.

And if you want to wear your shirt untucked? Who cares?

I see a lot of people indicating forcing pace of play, but I think that is challenging issue. We all deal with ready golf, but I have different thoughts about pace of play. When folks are disrespectful, stretching on tee boxes, standing around chatting, over in the woods hunting balls, and holding up others without any decent reason then to me that is wrong.

However, there is something to be said about the fact that we pay our money to play and should get a reasonable amount of time with our game. What sets the level of paced play? How can a standard really be set as it would really depend on how busy courses are. I know some are rolling out golfers at 6-8 minute intervals, plus they will add walk-ups, and it can become really messy and can turn into a 5 hour round.

That's not hard. Either play fast or let the faster players through. I mean, if the group behind you is playing faster than you, they won't bother you one bit once you let them through. I'm not sure why slower groups don't let faster groups through. The only thing I think is worse than waiting a couple minutes for a group to play through is to see them riding my heels the whole round. That being said, I'm rarely the slow group unless I'm out playing with someone slow, but it happens and I have zero issue with letting someone play through.

Back