Joining a golf club?

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I belonged to a country club over 10 yrs ago. I enjoyed it. Business travel conflicted with use of the club facilities.

Thinking of joining a golf club again. It is convenient to home (in a master planned community where I live). So, access to practice areas is super convenient. Access to 36 holes. Hosts an LPGA tournament. Monthly dues are around $500. So, kinda steep. But, the convenience is really hard to beat. Both courses are well maintained. Have until the end of the month to take advantage of reduced initiation dues.

That’s out of my budget, but it’d be nice one day.

Last edited:
My wife and I have belonged to 4-5 different clubs in the last 20 years. It is the way to go if you are going to play more than I couple times a week. It is really cheap when you play more and we play minimum of three times a week. That is also two of us and a golf cart. If we just paid greens fees and cart rental each time the cost would be out of our price range.

I am currently looking at club memberships as well. The one I'm keen about has a 15 months for the price 12 special going on at the moment so the first 15 months would be about $420. I am currently paying $60/month for practice facilities and playing once a week costs $250-280 mark, so I feel like I can justify the extra monthly expense to have a less crowded course, better practice facilities and camaraderie at the club. Hoping to have tour with the missus in a couple of weeks to try and get the thumbs up.

It's really more about the experience than the value. It's a whole other world from public courses. Good luck ~

That is pretty steep. You have to ask yourself if you will golf enough to cover the $500. Are there also quarterly dining fees that need to be met as well?

$6k a year is a lot of money and not something I would want to be paying
What exactly do you get for that monthly fee?

You will pay more in 3 months than we both pay for our yearly membership at our home course - admittedly we only have 18 holes and it isn't a private course, but I couldn't justify that amount of money at this point in time considering how often we both play

I just joined a local club this year - a 9 hole course, but it is the closest for me. I really like it that I can simply go when I want pretty much. If I want to play the most difficult holes, then I can. I walk and push a cart so that makes it nice. I only ride when playing with others really. I needed something that would allow me more time on the course to hone my skills.

My local course is the same price. If you use the club I think it’s a fair price. Personally I get my money’s worth by using it several days a week when the days are longer. We are coming into that time now where I can start going after work. Also if it’s a private club slow play usually does not occur.

I spent $25 one time in addition to cart and greens fees a few years ago to join the club at a local course. This only gave me reduced rates for cart and greens fees. I didn't play enough to justify it. I certainly couldn't justify paying $500 per month, but if you can, and you play enough to offset the monthly cost, then by all means, do it!

It sounds like a nice course. LPGA events don't tend to happen in cow pastures from what I understand. Besides, life is short, money comes and goes, and you can always make more.(y)

I just got an anniversary special for 179.00 total for 3 years (for a semi local course) only stipulation is no tee time before 11 am on weekends (Sat and Sunday) and cant reserve any tee time longer then 7 day out.

I was a member of a private club here for about a year and a half. I cancelled my membership last May as I just could not justify the $270 per month, $20 per round for a cart plus $150 per quarter food purchase. This was only a weekday membership so no play or practice facility use before 4pm on the weekend, It was OK during the summer but winter hit and I was only getting in a round or 2 per month. The course itself was nice but there weren't any other amenities.

After leaving I joined a local public course and since I was 55 their monthly membership is $60 per month 7 days a week walking. If I want to ride it's $5 for the cart and during the winter all carts have full enclosures.

Great Life is doubling their rates here in KC; as well as limiting the # of courses you can play....a lot of my old group are going back to a "private" club for $200/month...hard ponder for me !

I have a list of initiation fees and monthly memberships for every club in St. Louis and $500/month is super cheap. We don’t have A single club with monthly feels that low.

That is pretty steep. You have to ask yourself if you will golf enough to cover the $500. Are there also quarterly dining fees that need to be met as well?

I agree for $500 out of my own pocket it is tough to ever get close to that amount. The only way to justify it is if you have excess cash or if you prefer the prestige and availability of walk on tee times it makes sense.

I was a member of a private club here for about a year and a half. I cancelled my membership last May as I just could not justify the $270 per month, $20 per round for a cart plus $150 per quarter food purchase. This was only a weekday membership so no play or practice facility use before 4pm on the weekend, It was OK during the summer but winter hit and I was only getting in a round or 2 per month. The course itself was nice but there weren't any other amenities.

After leaving I joined a local public course and since I was 55 their monthly membership is $60 per month 7 days a week walking. If I want to ride it's $5 for the cart and during the winter all carts have full enclosures.

That is quite the steal of a deal!

Everyone spends and budget/saves $$ differently. The amount that you pay is almost always to be disproportionate to the benefits. I asked myself what I was willing to save and spend monthly-many of us work very hard for a long time and feel like retirement is not really a goal or destination. I was willing to pay for higher dues and initiation for the benefit of perfect conditions and tee time anytime I want. I am not waiting until I cannot enjoy it. Where I live $500 monthly is lower middle of the road in terms of cost.

No dining requirements.

What is it you are actually asking? If the club is offering reduced initiation fees right now, that offer will continue. I have gotten an offer from the club I was a member at in Florida every month for the past 40 months or so. Every month they pitch the "You better get in before we close this offer down" and the number of openings stays the same....Being at a private club is about a social network and having more private access to all things golf...Anyone who sits down and does a financial analysis to their Private golf club is missing the point. You can always play your golf cheaper than at a private club.

I joined my club because several of my friends are there.
The social aspect of golf is paramount to me,
so I'd suggest choosing a club on the basis of what you want to take from it.

$6k a year is a lot of money and not something I would want to be paying
What exactly do you get for that monthly fee?

You will pay more in 3 months than we both pay for our yearly membership at our home course - admittedly we only have 18 holes and it isn't a private course, but I couldn't justify that amount of money at this point in time considering how often we both play

Same for me. I pay about $1200 a year for my course, and that includes carts and range balls. It’s open to the public but I’ve never had an issue getting on and playing. I don’t like people enough to really enjoy the social aspects of a private club so it doesn’t make sense for me.

To the OP: if it works for your budget that’s not an outrageous price for a private club and if you’ll use it I’d say go for it.

I pay about $425 per month at a course north of Austin and that is the Junior rate. It's normally about $100 more plus most people have their own cart which puts it around $600 per month. It's only 18 holes and was not in the best shape last year. There are also $90 per quarter F&B mininimums.

To me its worth it though because it would cost me between $30-$100 per round to play at other courses in the area. Most would be $60-80. Also the closest courses to me takes about 15-20 minutes to get to. Other courses would be 30-50. So I'm looking at another $5-$10 bucks in gas plus an hour of drive time. Not to mention the slow rounds at many of the courses, especially the closer courses.

I rent a house on the #2 tee box and can start there to walk a few holes any afternoon or evening I want. During the summer will get in 9-18 in the evening after work a few nights a week and 18-54 holes on the weekend. The MGA is very active and has a lot of tournaments and the people there are awesome. I wouldn't get that at a public course. I also like to drink a few beers while I play or with the guys after. This takes care of the F&B minimums. The risk and cost of a potential DWI coming back from another course is hard to put a number on but it's something I don't have to worry about now.

If I lived in the neighborhood like you and could pay $500 for 2 courses at a level to hold an LPGA tournament I would be all over it. That level of course around Austin would be a $100+ round.

I wish I could play enough to justify those costs but I dont have the time.

For me, a membership at a club is less intriguing because I like to play different courses every week. Memberships with reciprocal benefits or 36 holes is more enticing but its also usually more expensive.

Exactly the right questions to ask. Advantages include being in a type of "Cheers" environment where everyone knows your name, easy to schedule lessons, find a game etc. If dining minimum is part of the deal, is the chef any good? ;)

Member at a muni, it works for me. Social aspect doesn't intrigue me really.

There are two 18 hole courses. Carts included. No dining minimums. Food has been up and down regarding quality. Drinks are cold. Some months will get less play than others. Definitely get in 4+ rounds a month. 5 Minutes from my house. Golf pro's instruction rate is reasonable too.

Back