2020 Better You Fitness Thread

I traveled the first two weeks of the year for work but this thread is getting me motivated to stop making excuses and to make some time for this.
Hey @Carolina Dundee checking into see how you've been doing, and hopefully this thread has given you some motivation thus far!

I had a really good week last week. Was down to 220lbs from a peak of about 233. A couple of days eating poorly and attending an NFL game watching party and I am back up to 225. Wow it comes back on so much easier than it goes off. Anyway, back in the gym today. My goal is 205-210lbs, which I think will be my ideal weight to maintain.
@H8tobogie how's your preparation for the MC been going? Hopefully you've been staying on track!

Hey @Nerdy_81 how is the fitness going so far in 2020? Don't want you to get to 40 without a little push in the right direction!
Haha. I've been focusing on eating better mostly which is 90% of the problem. Once the weather breaks, I'll get outdoors and shed some of this winter buildup (y)

Haha. I've been focusing on eating better mostly which is 90% of the problem. Once the weather breaks, I'll get outdoors and shed some of this winter buildup (y)
Nice work. I too am waiting for this weather to break because I find it hard to get any cardio in being inside. Good luck, hopefully we see spring here sooner rather than later!

Having recently retired from competitive rugby I still mostly do heavy weights and some anaerobic fitness. Now that I'm focused on golf and overall fitness I'm looking to lighten the weights and up the reps to get leaner. Am also working on my flexibility for golf and a bit more aerobic fitness which I can't stand but am trying to power through.
@jvbart hopefully you're hitting some of your fitness goals for 2020!

Was able to hit the gym 5 days last week! On top of a little healthier eating I was able to shed about 6lbs for the first week of my gym's transformation challenge. I know the first few weeks the lbs are going to come off pretty quick, just need to try and set reasonable goals for each week and keep hitting them!
Hope you have been reaching your 2020 goals @mhuelsman131

Sweet, I'll have to check that one out. I've been doing the DDP yoga but I'm going to rotate and do yoga with Adrienne every other day. I did a hamstring/lower back one last night that was excellent.
Hey @KEV how's your yoga plan, and over all fitness been going thus far in 2020?

My wife does OMAD. That’s a little too extreme for me but I join her in doing 16:8 IF for three or four times a week. Been doing it for a year now and have also gotten my father-in-law and brother-in-law to do it and we’re all seeing good results.

I‘m keeping up with my yoga/meditation for 15 minutes a day and hit the gym 3x a week. I do feel that I should probably switch up my yoga though, as I only learned a few poses that are supposed to help my back. Now that my back issues seem to be cleared up, I want to vary it some more
@Andrew808 how's your 2020 fitness plan working out? Hopefully your back pain has stayed away and you've been able to expand on what you started!

This is a great thread. I've never really worked too much on fitness, and over the years have gradually exercised less and eaten & drunk more. I realised that I put a stack of weight on and lots of things suffered, from sleep patterns to flexibility and much more. I've always been a really slim guy, but over the past couple of years I have become much more...well, upholstered.

Took the decision to exercise more, eat better and try to get back down to the weight I was at before, and am nearly there, 20lb down in a couple of months, with only 10lb more to go. Am joining a gym and trying to do a bit of strength training, and flexibility.

Great to see everyone else's stories here as well.
Hey @HarlettoScara you've been a little quiet lately! How's your preparation for the MC been going? Hopefully you've been working towards some of your goals, and hitting some of your targets as we lead up to the event!

Alright, that's enough for now. Like I said, just wanted to help people who have may dropped off a bit, so hopefully we add a few more regulars in here! Keep it up to all those who stop in on a regular basis! Still plenty of time left in 2020 to get started, and there's no better time than now!

Got in an hour on the Peloton last night and ate light yesterday. Feeling good other than the 6 month old keeping me up last night

Struggling with some tendinitis in my elbow which is killing my gym routine. Resting is the hardest part of fitness for me lol.
Sorry to hear that. Never a good thing, but rest may be the best for it. Hopefully you can get back to a routine sooner rather than later! Good luck!

Got in an hour on the Peloton last night and ate light yesterday. Feeling good other than the 6 month old keeping me up last night
Nice work. Glad to see I'm not the only one being kept up by the kids right now...2 y.o. been having issues at night, we think due to potty training....but man it's been rough. At one point she woke up her brothers, so the entire house was up at 3 in the morning...not fun. If I worked out in the morning, this would have been a morning I would have skipped!

Hey @Turtlerancher just want to follow up to see how your 2020 is going so far?
Thanks for asking! Not much activity going on in the frozen tundra so I have managed to unfortunately pack on 6lbs. but those will go away easily once I get active @ work. Wife's rower purchase for me has worked out well, 1/2 hr to 1 hr a night except for 1 week in Jan. after tweaking my back. For a inexpensive Suny rower it is working well. Will see how fit I am next week hiking in the L.A. mountains and golfing in Arizona and California for 10 days.:p
Bet I won't be so Casper the ghost white! :cool:

Thanks for asking! Not much activity going on in the frozen tundra so I have managed to unfortunately pack on 6lbs. but those will go away easily once I get active @ work. Wife's rower purchase for me has worked out well, 1/2 hr to 1 hr a night except for 1 week in Jan. after tweaking my back. For a inexpensive Suny rower it is working well. Will see how fit I am next week hiking in the L.A. mountains and golfing in Arizona and California for 10 days.:p
Bet I won't be so Casper the ghost white! :cool:
Like most in the Northern states, we are waiting for the spring. Glad to hear you've been able to take advantage of the rower though! Still need to get on purchasing one myself :rolleyes:.

Have fun out in L.A. and on your golfing trip! Stop back in and let us know how it goes!

Hey @BlueHen2006 how your 2020 plan coming together so far?

Going pretty good, my back squat feels a little stronger so far, was able to hit a 5*5 set last week at a weight I didn't think was doable, great motivation! Got my deadlift and bench numbers jotted down, so time to get to work on pushing those up this year too. Endurance has been the tough one though, as I hate the mental grind and been procrastinating with doing it a lot. Time to get back into it again.

Hope your plan is going well so far!

Going pretty good, my back squat feels a little stronger so far, was able to hit a 5*5 set last week at a weight I didn't think was doable, great motivation! Got my deadlift and bench numbers jotted down, so time to get to work on pushing those up this year too. Endurance has been the tough one though, as I hate the mental grind and been procrastinating with doing it a lot. Time to get back into it again.

Hope your plan is going well so far!
Seems like you're well on your way there! Endurance work has been difficult for me to fit in as well, and the one area I've been struggling with. But for you, nice work, can't wait to see where you go this year!

Mine's been going well, thanks. Besides a sickness that slowed me down for a week, I've been pretty consistent with my push up goal of 150 per day, and trying to do yoga each night. Yoga has been a really difference maker for me, as I've been slowed by tight neck, shoulder, and back muscles for years, sometimes leading to migraines. My migraines have been much less frequent, and my body in general just feels better, dare I say younger.

@H8tobogie how's your preparation for the MC been going? Hopefully you've been staying on track!
Staying on track! I am down to 218 lbs and hitting the gym 4-5 times per week. Feeling good!

Staying on track! I am down to 218 lbs and hitting the gym 4-5 times per week. Feeling good!
That's great to hear man! Can't wait to see how that pays off for you in Utah!

A lot of good updates in here.. Keep up the progress!! It makes it easier to stay motivated when others have similar goals!

Just checking in @Molten how's the cutting back on sugar going during 2020?
Good call back. Admittedly I’m behind my fitness and golf goals due to work, but the sugar cut back has been pretty effective. One diet soda a month. No candy in the house. The occasional chocolate bar, maybe 2 a month. Not a crazy cut out because it wouldn’t work but making it less available has been good.

Good call back. Admittedly I’m behind my fitness and golf goals due to work, but the sugar cut back has been pretty effective. One diet soda a month. No candy in the house. The occasional chocolate bar, maybe 2 a month. Not a crazy cut out because it wouldn’t work but making it less available has been good.
Good changes! Hopefully you can roll some fitness changes into the rest of the year. Small steps and you will improve!

Back