LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2020 Distance Bash with UST Mamiya

So who had more confidence with the driver in hand than normal? What can you share about the new fit?
I sure did. One of the things I learned from the process is not to be afraid of making minor changes to be more aggressive. For example, I was playing the heavy weight back in my F9 for more forgiveness, and during the fitting I had better results with the heavy weight forward. Also, on paper I though that the LIN-Q Gunmetal would have been way to stout of a shaft for me, but here I am playing one. With this combo I feel that I can be more aggressive in the swing without sacrificing forgiveness. It’s a huge boost in confidence.

there's a rumor going around that THPers are significantly better at Villa Crawl's than they are at golf...
Supposedly so. Villa 1 can say we put out one hell of a good drink. Something you can drink all night long. Villa 2's was a cool twist on a classic drink. Both very different takes but both good enough to make the judges think long and hard on who the winner was. From the way JB. Adam and Danny spoke about both drinks, they both could be on on a "THP bar" menu. Just seemed villa 2's resonated that little bit more.

So who had more confidence with the driver in hand than normal? What can you share about the new fit?
I felt like I did. The results weren’t always there but I think we are all hopeful for better weather tomorrow to get a true feel for it. I had a few stray ones but I felt like the head/shaft combo limited my misses. It for sure reduced my spin and gave me a more penetrating flight. The SZ Extreme head really does feel nice aerodynamically, felt like it was cutting through the air without any resistance.

Supposedly so. Villa 1 can say we put out one hell of a good drink. Something you can drink all night long. Villa 2's was a cool twist on a classic drink. Both very different takes but both good enough to make the judges think long and hard on who the winner was. From the way JB. Adam and Danny spoke about both drinks, they both could be on on a "THP bar" menu. Just seemed villa 2's resonated that little bit more.
We absolutely need a THP Bar menu.

I can say I feel like I can go after the ball a lot more than before. With the modified weight setup with 14g weights in both front and back, turned down 1 deg to 8 degrees, and a tour length Lin-Q purple shaft, the ball just jumps off the club. The only bad drives were when I tried to crush it and hard drew it but those were just bad swings.

The combination of the x-stiff 7F5 purple shaft at tour length which really helps on the quality of contact and the really forgiving head with the extra weight back makes this a ripper of a club. To be honest, I was shocked that I would be put into a heavier shaft than my old shaft ( 78g vs 65g ) but it feels great.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow to play it in quieter conditions to get a better feel and assessment. So far, I love it.

Doesn't hurt that the purple UST Lin-Q shaft with yellow Cobra head looks amazing.

Last edited:
Great job with the updates today everyone! Looks like a great time, and another excellent villa crawl!

Love the feel and sound of this new club. I didn’t have great results today on the course but I attribute a lot of that to the conditions. Tomorrow will give me a better gauge.

Also, the gunmetal plus the glossy black and yellow Cobra finish looks amazing.

Great win villa 2. Do we get to know more about the drinks??

Villa 2 was a Blackberry Orange Old Fashioned. It consisted of Weller Special Reserve, freshly made blackberry simple syrup, orange bitters and a dash of Luxardo cherry sauce. Accompanied with a Luxardo cherry and orange peel on a golf tee skewer. Smoked with barrel aged wood chips.

Presented in sweet Distance Bash glasses thanks to @BigDill. Everyone got to take one home!

Villa 2 was a Blackberry Orange Old Fashioned. It consisted of Weller Special Reserve, freshly made blackberry simple syrup, orange bitters and a dash of Luxardo cherry sauce. Accompanied with a Luxardo cherry and orange peel on a golf tee skewer. Smoked with barrel aged wood chips.

Presented in sweet Distance Bash glasses thanks to @BigDill. Everyone got to take one home!
Very nice touch!! Picture of the glass? (especially with the drink presentation if you have it)

I felt very comfortable with the new setup today. The lighter Helium shaft is very comfortable. Danny put the 14g weight forward and the 2g weight in the back for me. The SZ is a major upgrade from the 2015 GBB that I was gaming. Looking forward to tomorrow and also looking forward to seeing how the driver plays on my home course.

Villa 1 was a twist on a classic mojito. Made with Kracken Dark spiced rum, mojito solution, brown sugar, fresh mint, a bit of seltzer and garnished with a half slice of lime and surfers over crushed ice.

Villa 1 was a twist on a classic mojito. Made with Kracken Dark spiced rum, mojito solution, brown sugar, fresh mint, a bit of seltzer and garnished with a half slice of lime.
Both villas had solid drinks!!

Finally caught up. The gains from the fitting and reduced spin numbers are exciting to hear. The dinners and swag look awesome. Villa crawls for the win. Definitely need a THP bar menu.

you guys looked like you played well in tough conditions. Good luck tomorrow hitting bombs with the new set up.

Impressive

Last day...up and at em!!!

Last morning to see this...

D9161D63-BCBF-43FF-9182-4A7376C80605.jpeg

We are up in Villa 2, will be loading up here soon to head to the Conservatory. 52 degrees and the wind is finally settling.

Rise and shine Hammock Beach!
20200223_063949.jpg

Have a blast today guys - conservatory is a sweet track and will require some strategy. Enjoy it!

Hope conditions are better for all of you today. Have a great time.

Have fun today guys and play well!!!

Back