Trying to Break 100

Same here! I’m still very much a beginner, so I use mine selectively (mostly in the rough when my lie is slightly elevated), but when I make good contact...holy smokes. Having it be one length really helps.
The key is not feeling like you have to smash them.

The key is not feeling like you have to smash them.

Agreed! I still have trouble topping my shots if I use mine on the fairway, but yeah - nice easy swing and the ball just flies. Very fun to use.

Got out for a round yesterday and got to course early enough to actually test something out with the driver. Have a Taylormade M6 that is 10.5* and I had played around with lofting up, lofting down and then putting the adjustable hosel into the Upright stated loft setting which puts the face at 60* lie. This seemed to help my recent nagging slice that I had developed again after having a hook. The results were that I had the highest number of fairways found for a round according to Arccos with some nice power fades landing right in the middle of the fairway. (y)

Shot a 93 which had a much improved back 9 after I got a new putter dialed in. 24 putts on the front 9, only 19 putts on the back.

Last edited:
So, I broke 100 today. I also broke 90...and 80. :oops:

Personal best gross score of 76 (par 66). After trying a full length Driver shaft for a few rounds, went back to the Thriver today. Staying there for the foreseeable.
Wow!! Very nice!! :cool:👊

Have you tried a different club? I use my 50° the most because it is versatile for me.
Use a putting stroke when chipping, 6 inches back and follow thru ...
I mostly use my 9i and PW if I have to chip/pitch OVER rough, bunkers, etc...if I want to keep the ball flight lower...
I posted this before so sorry for anyone if this is repetitive, but you don't HAVE to use a high lofted wedge around the green unless you've short sided yourself.

Thanks, everyone!

I have indeed used my 46 degree PW for "bump and run" shots before to some success, so I'll spend a little time dialing that technique in with the 7I-GW before my next round. (y)

Got out for a round yesterday and got to course early enough to actually test something out with the driver. Have a Taylormade M6 that is 10.5* and I had played around with lofting up, lofting down and then putting the adjustable hosel into the Upright stated loft setting which puts the face at 60* lie. This seemed to help my recent nagging slice hook that I had developed again after having a hook. The results were that I had the highest number of fairways found for a round according to Arccos with some nice power fades landing right in the middle of the fairway. (y)

Shot a 93 which had a much improved back 9 after I got a new putter dialed in. 24 putts on the front 9, only 19 putts on the back.
I need a video of this phenomenon.

Took the new swing out for a spin on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday was just a casual 3-club walk. 7-iron, 50 degree wedge and putter. Wanted to work on the new swing on actual grass with an observable ball flight.
Went...ok. Had an interesting new development, a left side pull, and the appearance of a draw-to-hook right to left flight. Interesting, but, fine. Had some really nice shots, seemed to gain about 10 yards on the 50 degree, couldn't detect any real gain on the 7, though.

Using the 50 for my chips was a matter of figuring out the swing for the proper shot. Some were nice, some were not.

Sunday had my whole bag out for nine. The results were similar. Some nice shots, some really poor ones, most just "OK-to-poor". I was hoping for a bit better of a showing, but am not surprised. Used a three wood for the first time in a decade, and it went alright. Low, hot shots that stayed in the fairway and gained yardage. I did not despise it.

The 50 degree wedge, after trying a few shot types really started to come into it's own around the 5th hole. Had the chips running more towards the hole, so that was good.

With the new swing still in development, I am happy with the good shots, and not unhappy with the poorer ones. Obviously, putting a bad swing on the ball, which I did often, will result in the same outcome.

"I am happy with the good shots, and not unhappy with the poorer ones." That is a good place to be!

Took advantage of the warm dry weather & walked nine after work today. I had absolutely no expectations considering I haven't swung a club since before November, and wasn't sure how I'd feel physically since I've basically done nothing for 3.5 weeks doing the gallbladder surgery route. Also I was a little concerned since the last time I did go out I couldn't do anything but hit snap-hooks.

I actually felt pretty good& shot 48 (19 putts). The good news was that I actually hit greens from 120+ yards 4 times, and the while the swing wasn't always great contact, I stayed committed and kept turning through impact, kept decent forward shaft lean, and hit the ball pretty straight. I can see what I want to do, and I'm excited to do some practice and see if I can groove these feels during my swing.

I am feeling pretty sore already now. Still worth it though!

Good to hear you got out @Grins but don't overdo it too soon (y)

After my poor iron striking at the weekend, I am thinking of heading to the range tonight for a bit of practice if this wind dies down

Another plus from yesterday's golf was using new contacts for the first time. I'm right eye dominant and I decided for golf, it was best to have that contact for long distance viewing, and my left contact for reading. They worked out really well, and I was able to wear them for 7 hours with no problems.

I'm hoping that I can make the switch to contacts all the time, but at least I know I can use them for golf - even all day events/outings.

Last edited:
Took advantage of the warm dry weather & walked nine after work today. I had absolutely no expectations considering I haven't swung a club since before November, and wasn't sure how I'd feel physically since I've basically done nothing for 3.5 weeks doing the gallbladder surgery route. Also I was a little concerned since the last time I did go out I couldn't do anything but hit snap-hooks.

I actually felt pretty good& shot 48 (19 putts). The good news was that I actually hit greens from 120+ yards 4 times, and the while the swing wasn't always great contact, I stayed committed and kept turning through impact, kept decent forward shaft lean, and hit the ball pretty straight. I can see what I want to do, and I'm excited to do some practice and see if I can groove these feels during my swing.

I am feeling pretty sore already now. Still worth it though!
Roses Run awaits....

Another plus from yesterday's golf was using new contacts for the first time. I'm right eye dominant and I decided for golf, it was best to have that contact for long distance viewing, and my left contact for reading. They worked out really well, and I was able to wear them for 7 hours with no problems.

I'm hoping that I can make the switch to contacts all the time, but at least I know I can use them for golf - even all day events/outings.
I do kind of the same thing: right eye for chunks, left eye for tops.

Been awhile since I’ve posted here. I’ve played a few times over the last month. I’ve been fighting my swing all winter. The first 2 rounds were horrible. Quit keeping score around hole 4. Sunday’s round was..... better? I couldn’t get an iron off the ground for the first 6 holes. Everything else was decent. Finally got my tempo down and started making ok contact. Everything was short but the wind was up, swings still crap, it was wet, etc. Shot a 107 which I’ll take all things considered. I feel like I’m on the verge of playing some good golf I just need to get out more

Playing a pretty cool Davis Love III designed course tomorrow with 5 or 6 holes adjacent to salt marsh. Looking forward to 80 degrees with sun and light wind. Hoping to get the short game dialed in a bit before teeing off.

Planning on 18 holes, but will try to play 27 if we get through 18 quickly.

As I've only been "back around" for a couple of weeks this year, I'm curious:
Has there been any talk of a B100 gathering for 2020 yet?

Playing a pretty cool Davis Love III designed course tomorrow with 5 or 6 holes adjacent to salt marsh. Looking forward to 80 degrees with sun and light wind. Hoping to get the short game dialed in a bit before teeing off.

Planning on 18 holes, but will try to play 27 if we get through 18 quickly.

As I've only been "back around" for a couple of weeks this year, I'm curious:
Has there been any talk of a B100 gathering for 2020 yet?
Nothing as of yet.

Is it 10 you can almost drive by bouncing it through the parking lot they don't really use.

Hole 10 perhaps you can drive. Us mere mortals will be content to hit it into the parking lot & hope for lots of bounces and roll.

I have decided that I will take the next few weeks off from fixating on scores and my handicap (such that it is). I think I am progressing, but I still obsess over my mistakes and scorecard even though I am just playing casual practice rounds. The time when I made the most progress last year was when I just went out and played as much as possible. 9 holes, 18 holes, whatever I had time to play. and with minimal range time. At least on my regular "home" courses I improved dramatically, especially with my short game.

I am too OCD to not keep score, but I will try to just accept whatever number I have at the end of the round rather than stressing about it. Analyze what I did right, what I did wrong and what I would like to do next time. Rinse, repeat.

It just takes a 40 yard hook started 150 yards right of the green landing in the lot 2 bounces ending up 360 yard drive leaving you pin high 35 yards away

bad idea.jpg

I wholeheartedly endorse this message and demand to see it come to fruition.

Edit: and also waiting for the big "Bang!!" when it goes off the side of the cart barn. At which point we all hop in our carts and blaze down the fairway hoping no one saw.

Last edited:
Weather10Day.JPG

Played a totally forgettable 9 yesterday. I hit most of my drives really low - no more than 10 feet off the ground. Last hole I figured maybe I have the ball too far back in my stance. Finally hit a decent drive, but ended up with an awesome 58. I need to get back into shape and regain more flexibility

Back