Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
wife was laid off 😑...not sure if she'll be brought back.

I’d like to think we could do 10 million a month; that would be a logistical nightmare that I just don’t know how we organize that

For the last week awe have averaged 2-3 million/month and we appear to be ramping up.

Haha. Thanks WebMD for this brilliant chart.

View attachment 8934119

It's like they asked their staff economist to put this together since everyone else was busy. "It could be there, but on the other hand . . . "

A friend of my wife's had the virus is and is recovering comfortably. He was diagnosed, but never spent a day in the hospital. His partner never got the illness.

There are courses and clubs here in MA that are reopening after being closed for a week or so. The covid-19 guidelines are posted in print and on the sites and basically we all know the drill by now. There is very littIe customer to worker interaction, raised cups, no carta or single user cart, no tailgating....The MA golfing clubs are stressing the importance of following the guidelines exactly so they may stay open. I played yesterday at one of those courses and it was packed. For the most part the golfers I saw were adhering to the guidelines, with exception. There was a group of older guys that had to pull the flag and lift the raised cup out of the hole when they putted. There were also a few groups partying, music and all, in the parking lot. Ass monkeys that are going to get it all shut down again. And no, i did not confront any of them for a number of reasons at this time.

I don't see how they could be open unless the governor gave the okay. ALL non-essential business were to close last Tuesday at noon.

In a way the world got lucky. No one was really prepared for this kind of pandemic, which is surprising given how quickly an illness can spread from one country to another, from one continent to another. Imagine if this was a hemorrhagic fever? The world has now received its wake up call. Perhaps if something like this happens again we will be much better prepared for it.

All I know is that today I wake up grumpy and tired of being home. This is like day 16 for me.

I will vote for a Presidential candidate who has the following in his platform:

15% flat tax with no deductions
put one regulation on the books, you have to take 15 off
Except for a declared war or national emergency, government expenditures cannot exceed 15% of GDP
Except for DoD employees, no goverrnment employee, elected or otherwise, can serve more than 15 years. Employees required to exit the public sector will be given career transition services
No bill and/or law can exceed 15 pages in length, single spaced, maximum 10 point font
The flat tax could be doable, I'm all for 2 at the most 3 4 year terms, preferably 2 4 year terms like the president. I like the flat tax where everybody pays their fair share, but with some of these billionaires, they seldom take a full salary so something has to be figured out to tax their compensation.

I approve this!! Hopefully Tax free when in a war zone.

Last edited:
Kansas will be on statewide stay at home until April 19th starting tomorrow at midnight.

as predicted, another daily spike in "recovered" cases in BC, now at 45% of total

I tell you what, the golf course I live next to is open and it is packed. If more places were open this thing would be a huge boon for the game of golf. Can you imagine being the only social activity anyone could do for 2 months all over the country? If it stays open a ton of people are going to be playing golf here. 5 hour round? Who gives a 💩 right now, it will be more fun than almost everything else you could be doing.

The wife and I had to do the big shopping day today, Costco, Sam's, and a grocery store. Pretty quiet out there, our Costco (Folsom, CA) really has their act together, Sam's almost as well, the grocery store just so-so. I'm sure it helps that they are nowhere near as busy as usual, which is a good indicator that the greater community is taking this serious, and they are still out of almost all paper products. :confused2:

On the golf side, it is probably about a 50/50 split on courses open / courses closed around here. Have a tee time for Tuesday afternoon, and this particular course looks to be wide open. I think it might be one that many people just assume is closed, as most in their general area are closed.

I haven't seen the report, but Jen was telling me this morning that there have been a number of deaths here in the UK that have been confirmed as Covid-19 deaths following a post-mortem, who showed absolutely zero symptoms and signs of being infected

That is the biggest problem - people who are infected but showing no symptoms and then carrying it and infecting others without realising

If it was possible, and I know it isn't, more stringent rules need to be put in place regarding movements to prevent the further spread and confine the virus beyond its incubation period in a host to help reduce the strain on health services around the world

Truly curious. If those who died, showed zero symptoms, then I'd say it's safe to say they didn't die from the virus.
How can they be classified then as Covid-19 deaths?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Truly curious. If those who died, showed zero symptoms, then I'd say it's safe to say they didn't die from the virus.

Something must have happened post mortem. Maybe they test for C/19 in autopsies. Maybe they saw signs of respiratory issues and record all such deaths as C/19. There are assorted articles which touch on how variable things are between countries for recording deaths.

My uncle’s accounting firm put together a 5 page synopsis in laymen’s terms for all his clients to understand.

lol 5 page synopsis. that's been the hard part for me. boiling it down to something quick-fire but detailed enough to be helpful. so far all of my attempts have turned into novels so I've stopped trying, and i'm just forwarding info along and telling clients "read this and let me know if you want to talk through anything"

So, the city courses sent an email out earlier this week saying they would be closed until sometime in April. They had planned to keep the course in shape so that they'd be ready to return to business as soon as the ban was lifted. I didn't see the email until after the fact, but happened to call the next day to see if they were open. I was told they are open and that if I'd called the day before, I was probably told they were going to be closed, but about an hour after they got the order to close, they were told they could stay open. They have plenty of measures in place, so I'm sure they have it under control.

... and just like that, today I got an email saying they're closing from tomorrow until the 16th of April. Leaving the food part open though. I guess it doesn't matter if people pass off COVID-19 tainted food, but it's too dangerous to walk around outside in the open air hitting a ball around the grass.

The flat tax could be doable, I'm all for 2 at the most 3 4 year terms, preferably 2 4 year terms like the president. I like the flat tax where everybody pays their fair share, but with some of these billionaires, they seldom take a full salary so something has to be figured out to tax their compensation.

Income, compensation, and all forms of payment that reward productivity should never be taxed. That goes for dividends, interest, and capital gains, too.

The lone reported death in the county I live in, out of 118 confirmed cases, was only attributed to the virus post mortem. 33 people have successfully recovered. 9 are hospitalized and 75 remain in home isolation in addition to the one death.

Yeah, it's strange - a lot of the biology between SARS and the new coronavirus is very similar (hence the SARS-CoV-2 name) but it's definitely far less severe. Part of it is a tradeoff - it it comes on stronger, it doesn't spread as easily (people aren't so mobile). On the flip side, those similarities open up re-investigating some of those SARS therapeutics towards this.

And I absolutely agree that we'll see low numbers if the hospitals aren't overrun. And that's what I'm hoping for.

This is a really good question! I will tell you that I'm not a MD, but I do work for an biotech company where our backbone is in antiviral therapies. The drugs used to treat SARS outbreak fell into a couple of drug classifications, nucleoside analogues or protease inhibitors. These classes of drugs were used separately and in combination to 'treat' SARS patients but had limited successes. Ribavirin is a broad spectrum nucleoside analogue and was widely given, but had little effect on the virus or the severe respirator symptoms. The protease inhibitors, which I can't remember names were also given and did reduce some of the severe symptoms but were not broadly efficacious if memory serves me.

I know that these classes of drugs have vastly improved over the past 15ish years, Remdesivir is a nucleoside analogue which is being used broadly now (among some others, but this is what my company is working on) in hopes that its a better version. These drugs work by blocking the RNA pathway for the virus to replicate.

I also think corticosteriods were used in the treatment of SARS to reduce cytokine response to the infections, (sort of an over response by the immune system), but I need to go back and look. I've not heard these being used to treat COVID19 symptoms.

I know there are a few THPers that are MDs . Maybe they can weigh in on what and why treatments are what they are now....

I will vote for a Presidential candidate who has the following in his platform:

15% flat tax with no deductions
put one regulation on the books, you have to take 15 off
Except for a declared war or national emergency, government expenditures cannot exceed 15% of GDP
Except for DoD employees, no goverrnment employee, elected or otherwise, can serve more than 15 years. Employees required to exit the public sector will be given career transition services
No bill and/or law can exceed 15 pages in length, single spaced, maximum 10 point font

If those are your standards, I predict you will never vote again for President.

1. I am for a single digit income tax, with a single digit consumption tax on non-essentials. You catch income and if you choose to buy goods, you pay tax - if you can purchase goods, you can pay a tax.
2. Reasonable and gentle regulation that is balanced for all sectors
3. You lose too much expertise and intelligence by discharging people after 15 yrs.

And why does this seem sooo off-topiic? Oh, taxes, stimulus ....

Last edited:
There are news reports that some companies are planning to reduce employeee’s pay by the amount they receive from the government stimulus program.

This strikes me as an extremely bold move because I expect most people are going to be PO’d about this. These companies could face a consumer backlash.

Also, not sure how it is legal for an employer to do this. I suppose employment at will means an emplayer can do whatever they want???

Something must have happened post mortem. Maybe they test for C/19 in autopsies. Maybe they saw signs of respiratory issues and record all such deaths as C/19. There are assorted articles which touch on how variable things are between countries for recording deaths.
Yes, he said it was determined during autopsy. My question (point maybe) is that this seems like a stretch to me. Like classifying an auto death as alcohol related, because the driver had stopped at the beer store, and had a six pack (unopened) in the vehicle.....

Yes, he said it was determined during autopsy. My question (point maybe) is that this seems like a stretch to me. Like classifying an auto death as alcohol related, because the driver had stopped at the beer store, and had a six pack (unopened) in the vehicle.....

It is a stretch. I want to say the article I read recently explained that the UK is classifying all deaths from the flu or with a respiratory element as C/19.

I approve this!! Hopefully Tax free when in a war zone.

I'm good with 2k for all nurses regardless of the known threat. What a great thing to do.

They can feel free to go to 150% of the wages of people stocking shelves at grocery stores while they are at it, at least for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back