Your choice: 18 Pars or 9 Birdies & 9 Bogeys?

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
Saw someone ask this question. Would you rather have a round with 18 pars or 9 birdies and 9 bogeys? Why?

I am a risk guy. I'd rather see 9 birdies and 9 bogeys. Tells me I can make 9 birdies in a round. Bogeys I expect to happen occasionally. Would it infuriate me that I didn't get at least 1 par? Sure. But I wouldn't disappointed at the score for sure.

I prefer consistency, but birdies are really good for my ego and bogies don't destroy me. If you said 9 birdies and 9 doubles, I would definitely prefer the pars.

9 birdies would be a hell of a fun thing to talk about.
If they were stress free pars though, I might lean towards that.

Paging Nick Faldo. Give me 18 pars and the Claret Jug.

Give me the pars allllll day.

Skins game format, 9 birdies 9 bogeys.
Medal play format , 18 pars.

9 birdies would be a great round, no matter the scores of the other 9 holes

I'd probably go with 18 pars, since it shows consistent play for 18 holes.

There have been a few occassions I have parred 9 holes the front 9, and had 9 bogey 1s on the back 9. That, and vice versa.

18 pars. Likely means I made a lot less mistakes during the round.

9 and 9.

Give me 9 and 9

18 Pars. I like the consistency. 9 and 9 is a recipe for disaster over time.

Give me the 9 and 9. I like making pars but making birdies gets the blood pumping.

9 and 9. 18 pars sounds boring.

getting a bogey is like a par for me. So getting 9 birdies would be the equivalent of getting 9 eagles per round. Who would turn down 9 eagles.

9 and 9. if i'm making 9 birdies, i'm having a ton of fun. I always expect to make bogeys, so those won't piss me off too badly. pars are boring.

9 and 9 for me.

I would have to go with 9 & 9. Getting those birdies would be a bigger high then the let down of the expected bogie.

Give me the 9 and 9 because it is the round that would hypothetically give me the most daily fantasy points in a golf tournament

18 pars.

Either way is even par, but 18 straight pars is tougher than 9 birdies and 9 bogies IMO. Probably be a couple of knee-knocker length putts in there to achieve.

9 and 9, but I'd happily take either alternative to shoot an even par round.

18 pars... 9 bogeys and 9 birdies? Whichever the case may be, I'd taske either one. It means I've broken 100, 90, and 80 for the first time ever! Yeah!!(y)(y)

I remember reading about a teacher who when asked what kid of student he would work with, someone who shoots 72 every day or someone that will shoot 79 then 65 and he said he would rather work with the latter because it showed him he had the potential, and not afraid, to go low and be great.

So sort of based on that I'll go with 9 birdies/bogeys. 18 pars would be more frustrating.

Back