Push cart at country club

G-Man

Working on being better in '23!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So a colleague asked me to play golf at his private club. Due COVID, they are not allowing driving carts. Is it wierd if I bring my push cart? He is going to walk and carry.

Last edited:
Do you mean they are not allowing regular carts, or push carts? Not sure I understand what you are referring to.

Do you mean they are not allowing regular carts, or push carts? Not sure I understand what you are referring to.
Updated no driving carts.

Hmm, this is a tough one. What course is it? If you don't mind me asking.

You might ask first if they are allowed. My last club in California was private and didn’t allow outside push carts, you had to rent one of theirs for $7. If I was going I would rent one that the club provides or carry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. At my local club I see walkers and guys with push carts playing together. It may be more what the habit is at the course in question. I don't carry so for me it would have to be push cart, but I would have no problem if someone else is carrying with us.

Sharon Golf Club.

Ooh... If it was any other club I would probably have said bringing the cart is fine. I have not played there, but know that is top notch and pretty strict.

I don't think I helped in your decision making 🤦‍♂️

Best thing is as one poster implied, give them a call and ask.

ask?

Why would a course have an issue with bringing a push cart?

I have played 3 times now at an exclusive private course with my friend who is a member. We both bring our own push carts. It is arguable that the course sets up best for riding due to length and layout. Even the practice area is a good clip away from the club house. But walking is allowed. All I notice is that they can’t ask me enough times if I need anything. I asked for a scorecard once and also ended up with sleeve of balls, tees, water, and snack. Only issue I have ever had there was concern generated by my old beater 4Runner. It stuck out like a sore thumb, and I think they thought a “worker” parked in the wrong spot. 🤫

Well how about just bringing the cart along and asking when you get there? You're playing whether it's yes or no, right?

Some of us could walk with a push cart but no way carrying. Have arthritis in my toes.

My club is allowing push carts. As a newer member coming from a lifetime of playing public, my push cart is the envy of some longer time members that never bothered to get one.

I have two, and a remote controlled one that i am rebuilding. My Muni where i play most has eliminated carts during the fall of civilization also. I walk 95% of the time anyway, so not an issue.

If your to embarrassed to ask your friend.
Call the course and ask.

I would ask ahead of time just to make sure. I don't know why they would have a problem with it unless they only rent out their own.

Sorry for lack of knowledge but why would a course that allows you to walk not allow a push cart? I don't see the logic outside "tradition". I would think a push cart would be far less damaging than a regular cat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You might ask first if they are allowed. My last club in California was private and didn’t allow outside push carts, you had to rent one of theirs for $7. If I was going I would rent one that the club provides or carry.
Haha. I experienced that too but the carts were terrible. The policy was changed quickly when it was insisted that high quality sun mountain or clic gear carts were purchased. The course would never make their money back so it’s now bring your own.

Sorry for lack of knowledge but why would a course that allows you to walk not allow a push cart? I don't see the logic outside "tradition". I would think a push cart would be far less damaging than a regular cat.

The high end private clubs often have caddies, so members may hire a caddie or carry their own bag, but push carts are forbidden.

Two reasons:
  • Many private clubs do not want any other activity in the parking lot other than parking a car. Fumbling with a push cart in the lot is the equivalent of changing shoes in the lot instead of the locker room
  • Revenue

People do it all the time here at my club.

Two reasons:
  • Many private clubs do not want any other activity in the parking lot other than parking a car. Fumbling with a push cart in the lot is the equivalent of changing shoes in the lot instead of the locker room
  • Revenue
I can understand the revenue part, rent the push cart from us. How dare someone get a push cart out of the car in the parking lot. So tacky!

Most private courses I have played have had members with carts. Just don't show up with some caddyshack-looking thing and I think you will be alright.

Back